Will Glock/GSSF ever put a stop to the equipment race ?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by JWG_34, Aug 12, 2018.

1. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

Not trying to start an argument. But was just curious , Does anyone think that Glock/GSSF will ever put any kind of restriction on the equipment race i.e. , scopes, aftermarket triggers, grip reductions, compensators so on and so on , that can be done on unlimited pistol in that category?
    I know that GSSF has the unlimited category, and I'm no stranger to GSSF !
    But I have not shot a match in about 12 years, I do keep up with what's current and check in from time to time here on GT !
    I know everyone wants to get that next little edge, and believe me , I did it to when I was shooting several matches a year.
    From my understanding, GSSF was conceived : #1 to sell the glock pistol and #2 to get new people involved in the shooting sports !
    But I was just wondering if they maybe would ever put a restriction on what modifications you can do to your unlimited pistol ?
    P.S. Some of the unlimited guns now look like they were made for a Star wars movie !
    Thanks
    Jeff

Paul53 likes this.
  2. njl

njl Crusty Member

Isn't the whole point of "Unlimited" that you can do nearly anything to the gun? The only limitations I can think of that they've imposed are:
    1. No disabling of any of the internal safeties.
    2. No shoulder stocks.
    3. Frame must be OEM.
    4. Gun must fire a caliber for which Glock produces pistols.

3. rock_castle

rock_castle Right is right and Left is wrong.

I like the way they do it.

4. 4 Paws

4 Paws

With multiple divisions within GSSF, the unlimited/open division is there for a reason I believe. I routinely shoot carry optics in USPSA, and this would be the only place to shoot that same gun in GSSF. I don't see any changes coming in the future, just my two cents.

PM720 likes this.
  5. njl

njl Crusty Member

Some of us have suggested GSSF introduce a CO division, separate from Unlimited...i.e. must be stock other than a MOS or possibly rear sight dovetail (no permanent mods) mounted optic. I don't think Glock sees any need to create a new division when there's already a division (Unlimited) where the MOS guns can play.

kdm2, PM720 and DJ Niner like this.
  6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Jeff,

Masters like Grady have proven race guns can be beat with a stock G26. Unlimited add-ons just make the shooter feel better and provide some bragging points. Kind of like my trigger is lighter than yours. So what. It is the score that counts.

7. wlkjr

wlkjr

Let'em spend whatever they want to. Why would you want to limit an Unlimited division? And how pray tell would you police it?

8. Seale Team

Seale Team

Not to be an ass, but this reminds me of a similar argument usually disputed but saying, “What part of shall not be infringed, do you not understand?”

Unlimited =s just that.

ADK_40GLKr and Dr glock19 like this.
  9. ohiojim

ohiojim

I like it the way it is. If anyone wants to join in that race there's the unlimited category for them. Anyone that chooses to remain stock has those categories. I choose to remain stock.

Seale Team likes this.
  10. youngann

youngann Pistol People

I don't know why GSSF would want to put more restrictions on Unlimited pistols as there are 8 (or 9) other divisions a person can shoot with their stock guns. If someone wants to ramp up a Glock for one division, I say, let them have at it. :)

DanaH, ADK_40GLKr and PM720 like this.
  11. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

Your right Danny ! I was just thinking outside the box! GSSF is a great place to put some lead down range and meet old and new friends, That was the main purpose for me when I was in it heavily. Plus I won a few guns(bonus).Like I said in my OP, I haven't shot a match in several years, and I do try and keep up with what id current, I've seen some unlimited pistol, that made my old G34 look obsolete.
    Jeff
    BTW I've kept up with Grady a little, and he and his sons are doing a hell of a great job! So are some of the young people ,I have seen videos of them shooting !

12. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

By all means, If you want to spend $1000 on your unlimited gun, then go for it! I was just thinking out loud and thought I would get some good answers here.
    Like I said in my original post, when I was shooting 7 to 8 match's a year I was doing it to, hell my G34 I shot was trick out as much as I could get it for unlimited. Which BTW wasn't anything more than polishing the trigger components every time I cleaned the gun ! And my powder-puff loads I shot. And might I say its a load that's still use in the game today !
    Ps, the G34 did have a aim-point comp sitting on top of the aim-point carver mount mounted to the pistol !

13. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Agree!

I always shoot Unlimited, Competition, and Master Stock with my stock G17....I don't remember ever shooting an optic sight in a match....spose I should try it huh? Maybe the 'old dog learning new tricks' thing applies? :)

SCC, BJSwart, youngann and 2 others like this.
  14. usnret

usnret

Your old enough now, so you can use an optic and not feel bad about it.

Seale Team likes this.
  15. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Jeff,
    Try the Morganton match next April. It is one of the best ever, and on the smallest range. I hope to be there one last time.

EC71 likes this.
  16. EC71

EC71

I second that. Great match ran by great people.

17. wlkjr

wlkjr

Off topic. To EC71, I love Smokey Yunnick.

EC71 likes this.
  18. truckcop

truckcop

Restrictions on "unlimited". Now that there's just funny. They could call it the "non sequitur" division. :waving:

EC71 likes this.
  19. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Why would you want to Limit the Unlimited class?

And there is no equipment race. I still win with Glocks I built 15+ years ago.

EC71 likes this.
  20. EC71

EC71

Glad somebody recognized him. I had him in my photo album from tormenting a friend with W.W.S.D texts while he was prepping for a local “run what you brung” race.