GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These were recently put on by hand (hammer, punch via smith) but I need to drift the rear Trijicon sight in the opposite way that he drifted it in for some fine tuning, but only about the width of a fine pencil mark.

I have some SLIP2k grease on Sight Tool threads and pushers so the threads are 10x smoother than out of the box, wondering if such a small adjustment is possible with this NCstar Blue sight tool, AND, without marring the sight's finish?

Wondering if the install is light enough for me to be able to use the provided "Allen Key" which can insert into the side of the pusher, to avoid not over drifting if using the main lever.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That tool is a great investment and works 100× better then the 40 dollar block pushers, for 10 bucks more its well worth it. I just used it today to put on some replacement ameriglos and didn't mark or hurt sights or slide at all

·
Registered
852 Posts
I don't know what the NCStar sight tool looks like, but the tool I have I put some duct tape over the part that contacts the sight.

If your "'smith" is installing night sights by using a hammer and punch he is not a gunsmith. He is someone to be avoided with firearms at all costs. Hitting night sights with a hammer and punch is very likely to bust the capsules, which have radioactive substances inside. And they are quite expensive.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I bought mine off of ebay for about 50 bucks. I installed night sights for the first time in 20yrs, it works great. You just have to adjust it correctly and you will be golden.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Take the time to ensure things are lined up correctly.
Take some blue painter tape if it makes you feel better, but not needed if you are careful.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wanting to do a Very miniscule adjustment, the width of the mark of the side of the tip of a mechanical pencil.

Thinking I should likely using the small
Allen Key that comes with it to put inside of the adjustment handle.

Assuming that is for fine adjustments to avoid pressing too much... Just hope my adjustment isn't too small and it going too far...

Very well oiled threads (light gun brand grease actually, SLIP2000 EWG)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Once you get everything aligned correctly it works great. I use painters blue tape to prevent marring. A witness mark on the slide, sight for small adjustment

·
Registered
568 Posts
I don't know what the NCStar sight tool looks like, but the tool I have I put some duct tape over the part that contacts the sight.

If your "'smith" is installing night sights by using a hammer and punch he is not a gunsmith. He is someone to be avoided with firearms at all costs. Hitting night sights with a hammer and punch is very likely to bust the capsules, which have radioactive substances inside. And they are quite expensive.
I disagree,
Although a professional gunsmith should have several good quality sight pushers to aid efficiency ,with the correct punch and proper technique a decent gunsmith is capable of installing ,adjusting, or removing any type of sight using a dovetail including tritium sights.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I disagree,
Although a professional gunsmith should have several good quality sight pushers to aid efficiency ,with the correct punch and proper technique a decent gunsmith is capable of installing ,adjusting, or removing any type of sight using a dovetail including tritium sights.
I agree, being most do it very gently, OR, only use that to remove stubborn factory sights and use the pusher for install.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My Trijicon HD XR's have a small scuff line from the NCSTAR pusher. It's pretty faint, and I don't really give a s***. If you couldn't bear the thought, put a couple layers of electric tape on the ears before use.

-Al

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Time and patience! I bought one to test and just took my time checking a LOT to see that I wasn't going to scratch anything.
The NCStar is great for rear sights, but I have some besides Glocks and that doesn't work with front sights... hence the name rear sight pusher.
It's a very nice and sturdy tool capable of precision if you don't hurry TOO much.

It can leave a mark on the sight... especially slanted ones... Kahr sight here.

I prefer a sight tool that fits into the dovetail and pushes against the vertical or flat base inline with the direction of travel.

Banging on night nights containing small glass vials of Tritium gas can be costly. Those things can break... or be punched with a punch or pin through the bottom of the front sight as one guy did when we swapped Trijicon front night sights. He damaged the front sight's vial and fortunately I got Trijicon to replace it.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Looking back at my posts on Kahrtalk.com, I found one suggestion:

"I just use my drill press with a punch installed. I also have a milling vise from Harbor freight for alignment. Total cost around $30 assuming you already have a drill press."

This sounds good if you already have a drill press and the milling vise to hold the slide correctly and protected.

·
Glock Bhagwan
142 Posts
I've been using a $20 eBay universal sight pusher and 10-cents worth of masking tape with excellent results. No mars on any pistol I've used it on (Glock, SW, Ruger).

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
For guns I cared about scuffs, I did what others noted and put masking tape on the contact areas. On Glock, XD, S&W, and P Series SIG's, I just pushed the sights. I didn't end up with any marks. If it is properly aligned, it should be fine.

But as a precaution, a little tape may add a bit of comfort!

·
Registered
616 Posts
The NCStar is great for rear sights, but I have some besides Glocks and that doesn't work with front sights... hence the name rear sight pusher.
They make a version with both front and rear sight pushers. That’s what I have & use.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts