close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Will America still be the world leader?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by StarShip2100, Mar 1, 2010.

1. StarShip2100

StarShip2100 Futurist

Do you think America can remain the beacon of light we have always been and return to our roots? Or are things so entwined we will never really get back to the basics that made us great?

2. podwich

podwich

I'd think it's tough to be the world's leader when you're a debtor to the ones you're trying to lead.

3. REDDAWN

REDDAWN

WELL SAID! Right now WE need some REAL Leaders. And I don't see any....

4. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Every nation-state goes through cycles.
    Is the USA cycle up?
    Probably this 50 years.

China is next.

5. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

It geatly saddens me...but I believe the USA is on the same path of social, political, and economic decay that the UK is experiencing.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  6. Hucklebarry

Hucklebarry Native

This.

It won't be long before China is the world's only superpower. That is, if things don't change drastically in the US in the very near future. It's possible that we'll turn it around, but I doubt it will happen. Too many voters are on the dole.

It used to be that people voted based on what's best for the country. Now, they vote what's best for themselves. I don't know how bad it will have to get to turn that around.

7. Andy123

Andy123

I think the next great cold war will be between the axis of China and India.

8. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

World leader and beacon of light are two different things. As long as we are a place where people can come and be free we will be that beacon. We were the beacon long before we got involved in trying to run the world. The global empire building we've been involved in since the mid-20th century is one of the things that is working against that beacon remaining bright.

9. alexcc

alexcc

I believe America offers some of the greatest things in the world that no other place does. I've never even been there and there is no place that I would rather have the chance of living in at the moment. I know it sounds weird but I do have a love for a place that I've never visited. If it can keep the freedoms that it was founded upon it will always be one of (if not) the greatest countries in the world.

Having lots of money, fancy buildings and power is not a substitute for freedom.

10. JJohnson

JJohnson Call me Jeff

Echoing Gary's point. As long as people continue to risk life and limb and sometimes die just to get here. We are that becon of light. Regarding the OP questions "World Leader", world leader of what?

I personally am uncomfortable with the notion that we lead and the rest follow. We are not, or at least should not be the world's police force.

11. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

I really like the "Starship Trooper" model.

Put in your years of service, then you become a citizen with the right to vote.

Too lazy to give some of your time to your country? Then shut the BLEEP up.

Unfortunately in an Obama administration, being in the military wouldn't earn you any service credits while being a green organizer would. . .

12. Adjuster

Adjuster

Did we even deserve to be the world leader in the first place? We have only been around for a few hundred years. Other countries have been around for thousands of years. Too big for our britches as they say?

13. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Nope. Greed is killing this nation and the aftermath is debt... won't be too long before it starts to impact our military. If you want to see where we are headed... Rome and Greece were both Republics similar to ours...

14. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Roots schmoots. We spend more than anyone else, so economically, we wag the tail. We cannot be easily invaded and we control "the seven seas." So militarily, we are the top dog.

We'll be that way for many years to come.

15. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

Similar, but different... I believe the United States, by allowing representative election with no regard for qualification of the electors, has shortened the "cycle into chaos" by several hundred years.

There's lots of great quotes which describe the fall of our system of government once the people learn how to vote themselves money from the public coffers - and that's what's happened.

Yeah, entropy sucks - but we're living it...

kestrou

16. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

Dennis,

I love ya man, but have to disagree:

We BORROW more than anyone else, so economically we can can be controlled. When faced with having to cut the military or the social programs, the populace will rise to keep the social programs and our military strength will evaporate in a handful of years...

I wish it weren't so, buddy.

kestrou

17. TuxthePenguin

TuxthePenguin

Seriously?

I'm glad you are not running this country.