Glock Talk banner

Will a "USED" firearm be covered under warranty?

4K views 25 replies 26 participants last post by  5Sensify 
#1 ·
Not familiar with purchasing used firearms. From my understanding many manufacturers will request a copy of the original receipt before any repairs could be done to a firearm. In this case, if I'm the second owner of the firearm without the original receipt, would the "used" firearm still be covered under warranty?

#10 ·
I have never heard of Ruger refusing to perform a repair on any of their arms.

Well, any arms that are in current production.

Likewise, outside of owner modification, I have never heard of them charging for a repair.
I was the third or fourth owner of a Ruger pistol. I sent it to them for work and they sent me back a "Tack Driver". The invoice included said, "No charge, Warranty Work".

I called S&W to order some parts for my second hand pistol. I lost the part. I was told the part was coming under warranty and a batch of other parts were included for no charge. The guy laughed when I asked him if he needed my CC.

I can't speak for all gun manufacturers, but my experiences above are good ones.

#4 ·
As said, it depends on the company. I've had warranty work done on used firearms from Smith & Wesson and Springfield Armory with no questions ask, even after I made it known they were previously owned.

#14 ·
I would not count on it. Some will some of the time depending on what the problem is as if it is a known issue with the firearm. Any evidence of neglect, abuse and/or Billy Bob gunsmithing and forget it.

One of the primary reasons a firearm usually sells significantly less than new is because it typically has no warranty.

#15 ·
Like others already mentioned, some companies offer unconditional warranties and some companies offer warranties only to the original owner.

As I see it, when I buy a used gun, I'm taking a chance that is on me and not on anybody else. If there is a problem afterward and a manufacturer refuses to honor the warranty, then I wouldn't be mad at them for my decision to buy a used gun.

#16 · (Edited)
SCCY is big on saying no matter how many owners it's been through they will cover it. There have been several posts here how Glock will charge for being out of warrantee but at the matches they fix them for free.

#18 ·
I think it depends on what kind of work you want done. If you want a replacement frame because you stipple job went bad, I think you'll be SOL.

I've taken a LEO trade in G23 (obvious I wasn't the original buyer) to Glock, and they refreshed all the springs, brought it current, and gave me a new mag; no charge.

I have a number of Taurus (Tauri?), and they've all worked 100%, never needed a trip to Miami. Based on my personal experiences with my Taurus guns, mostly non owners seem to complain.

#20 ·
I've never had Smith and Wesson, Colt, Glock or Ruger ask for a sales receipt.
They never asked if I was the original owner.

I've even admitted to using reloaded lead bullets (Glock and Ruger) and they still fixed my gun.

All of them repaired/adjusted my gun without any questions, or cost to me.

And they paid shipping both ways.

#21 ·
I can't recall ever being asked if I was the original owner, with any manufacturer's warranty work.

I think policies change over time and even how your individual experience might turn out, based on who happens to answer the phone when you call CS.

Probably the best thing you can do before you buy a specific gun is check with that manufacturers CS and ask very pointed questions about what you can expect.

#22 ·
Smith & Wesson never asked me for anything when they replaced a 642 with a cracked frame. I don't recall Remington doing so either when I sent a 1911 back for repair. I'm not sure that they didn't, I just don't remember them doing so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.