Will a new guide rod improve lockup?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Jim17, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Jim17

Jim17

I have a Gen 2 GLOCK 19 with a barrel hood that slips down slightly with I press on it. I thought I might improve lockup with a new barrel or new guide rod. Lone Wolf claims their SS Guide Rod Complete Assembly will "improve lockup by completely removing guide rod flex". Will that make a difference or should I just go with a new barrel? Thanks.

2. Tango 1Zero

Tango 1Zero Millennium Member

If its shoots without malfunctions I wouldnt touch it.

3. NMPOPS

NMPOPS

When you press down on the barrel hood it should give some. Its designed that way. That said the SS guiderod does add some weight out front and won't hurt a thing.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

4. tango44

tango44

Not broke, don't fix it!
    If you have doubts about the round count on your guide rod assembly, simply change it for a new one!
    Stock of course!

My G19 Gen2 has more than 10K round with the stock guide rod and counting!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  5. FireGuy

FireGuy Into The Breach CLM

You might want to replace the spring at the same time. It can't hurt, may help, and is cheap.

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The only purpose of the guide rod is to keep the recoil spring in alignment. If your slide returns to battery, your barrel is locked, period. Downward pressure on the barrel hood reveals nothing. Advertisers will say almost anything to sell a product.

7. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

:agree:, Watch this video, the guide rod melts and the gun keeps going, start at the 4 min mark, the gun kept going.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyZxQfIBXDc"]1000 Round Glock Torture Test Part Two - YouTube[/ame]

:agree:, just look at all those infomercials, some a actually real like the George foreman Grill, but look at the many BBB complaints of false advertising or misleading ads like the "male enlargement pills" :whistling:

:50cal:

8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

While it is improbable that anyone in any situation would ever fire 1,000 rounds non-stop, Glock has added a product called Zytel to the polymer guide rod to prevent future meltdowns. Those newer single spring guide rods have a "1" on the bottom of the rear disc, and the 4-digit part number at the top.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  9. Clay1

Clay1

I own a SS guide rod to and shoot it in ESP and limited, but like so many others I tried to buy a gizmo to help my shooting. Dave Sevigney shoots a stock gun, I've been told. You'll save money and get the results you want buy not working on the gun and working on your technique.

Matt Burkett sells some wonderful DVDs. An actual coach would even be better. Get a shooting routine down and a dry fire regime down and leave the gun alone is my vote.

One last comment and that is "if you think you will shoot better with the gizmo you probably will" not because of the gizmo but rather the improved confidence level.

Good luck

10. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

He has several variations but yes he has a stock G34. The whole aftermarket guide rod thing has been debated on here for some time, some like em some dont, to each his own.

:50cal:

11. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

Hmmmm ... Wouldn't you want to be ready for the coming zombie apocalypse?

12. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

The, 'modified Browning lockup' on your Glock is working properly. My own Glock Model 21's are PHYSICAL PROOF that Lone Wolf's claim is correct. (I witnessed this for myself!) If, however, you are not having ANY failures to return-to-battery and your attached tac light isn't binding up your slide, then you really don't need a steel guide rod.

I use Wolff non-captured coated steel guide rods in all of my Glocks; but, then again, this is probably, 'Why' my own G-21's - with their original defective #4256 trigger bars - never blew up in my face in the same way that several early G-21's did with other Glock owners.

Glock's, 'Nylon 6' IS already made of DuPont Zytel. A metal guide rod is ALWAYS superior to a plastic one. The advent of the new Gen4, 'metalized' guide rods should prove that.