Will a gun safe protect against EMP?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by slackercruster, May 12, 2018.

1. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

I looked up the Carrington event. Very interesting history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

Some telegraph operators could continue to send and receive messages despite having disconnected their power supplies.[18]

On September 1–2, 1859, one of the largest recorded geomagnetic storms (as recorded by ground-based magnetometers) occurred. Auroras were seen around the world, those in the northern hemisphere as far south as the Caribbean; those over the Rocky Mountains in the U.S. were so bright that the glow woke gold miners, who began preparing breakfast because they thought it was morning.[6] People in the northeastern United States could read a newspaper by the aurora's light.[11] The aurora was visible as far from the poles as Monterrey and Tampico in Mexico, Queensland, Cuba, Hawaii,[12] southern Japan and China,[13] and even at lower latitudes very close to the equator, such as in Colombia

2. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    http://www.sargentandgreenleaf.com/emp/

There's a chance.

BuckyP likes this.

3. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

It would be safe to assume that anything electronic (with transistors, chips and circuits) would fry in an EMP.

4. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

That's an absolutely false assumption.

janice6 likes this.
  5. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Other than the link you provided to the sargent and greenleaf website I think it was a safe assumption since I hadn't seen your link before I put in my opinion. I think it is still safe to assume, pending specific info to the contrary (as noted in your link) that electronic locks will fry during an EMP.

6. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Even without the lock company specifically testing against it, there is nothing that suggests that ALL electronics will be fried in an EMP event.

The what, where and how of exposure matter tremendously.

janice6 likes this.
  7. janice6

janice6

The RF leakage of the box is related to the Length and the gap size at the intersection of two flat components. If the gap is small in the overlap, and the length (or depth) of the gap from the overlap is long relatively, it will be as effective as a continuous surface.

The box doesn't have to be literally sealed, it has to be an effective long field leakage path and will exclude fields as though the gap was sealed and not there.

My experience is from shielding a Super Conducting Magnetic Field sensors that could "see" sub quantum level fields.

I am not saying that any safe will provide an adequate shield to an EMP, just that some will!

Reference: http://www.ee.bgu.ac.il/~paperno/2012 Shielding-chapter-proof-1.pdf

Chapter 12.3.2 Fabrication and the effect of an air gap.

8. janice6

janice6

Ground is a relative reference, and not a necessity for shielding something internally. The applied magnetic flux results in an induced field on the shielding material.

Like a transformer, the resultant induced magnetic field is in opposition to the applied field, so they tend to buck each other. External ground has nothing to due with the effectiveness of the shield to magnetic fields. Simplistic, but true.

FullClip, Paul53 and blkpag1 like this.
  9. firerescue1231

firerescue1231

At one point I did a lot of reading on this subject and it's almost impossible to get a definitive answer and the schools of thought range from everything electronic is toast to very minimal damage and as I was led from one Rabbit Hole to another I have come to the conclusion that no one really truly knows until it actually happens

larry_minn and happie2shoot like this.
  10. janice6

janice6

For the most part, this is true! The devil, as always, is in the details.

11. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

It depends on the wavelength of the EMP.

12. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent

My gun safe has an electronic lock too; while an EMP may or may not kill the lock, I keep tools so I can breach the safe if need be.

fatduk1963 likes this.
  13. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Leave them out and easy to get to for the burglars

14. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

It’s so easy to defeat most RSC’s they likely have access to all the need in nearly any garage anyways.

ancient_serpent likes this.
  15. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt Millennium Member

Did the test on my safe, phone rang and rang. Dam, guess I have some work to do.

16. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

17. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Other things to think about:

What are you going to read your emp protected flash drive with?

What will that device use for power?

In a nation with a crippled electrical grid, who will care what’s on it? The violent starving mobs might be a bigger concern I think. Can you handle an attack from 20 men armed with the looted contents of a police armory?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  18. fxstchewy

fxstchewy

Maybe......

happie2shoot likes this.
  19. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dude, if you get hit with an emp.. I don't think your laptop and data are really that high of a priority. You car, transportation, radio, batteries , flashlights, generators and things like that are much more forward on my mind

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    TheDreadnought likes this.
  20. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

As said its not a proven science. The strength, distance, shielding "should" also matter.

Let's think. Safe is likely inside house, other structure. (Little measurable increase in protection)
    But IITC a faraday cage was mesh less the 1 cm gaps, grounded? (Some say a inch gap, most suggest smaller IIRC).
    So IMO your safe should have ground bonded to walls (And door). As gap while long is normally less then 1cm wide? (Which could be reduced I guess). If stuff inside insulated from walls...

IMO that should decrease odds a EMP would damage stuff. Realistically the fire, theft protection likely more valuable. (Having a fire sprinkler above safe good idea). Or at least a full case if water.

;)