Will a gun safe protect against EMP?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by slackercruster, May 12, 2018.

1. slackercruster

slackercruster

Born L.A. - NYC 2nd Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
    If laptop, hard drives and flash drives are stored in the gun safe, will the data be protected against EMP?

Paul53 likes this.
  2. Maccabee2A

Maccabee2A Luke 22:35-38

Good way to find out is to stick a cell phone in your safe and call it. If you can call it then it's not EMP resistant, but if you can then it is. I did this experiment with the microwave.

3. Rocketsteve

Rocketsteve Army Vet Silver Member

The only thing that will protect electronics from an EMP is something called a Farady Cage, which must completely enclose the electronics. Safes are not designed to protect against an EMP.

4. James Dean

James Dean

An old Microwave may work well to protect flash drives

Paul53 likes this.
  5. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

Couldn't you just wrap those thing very tightly in tinfoil? You know, the same stuff we make our hats out of.

'Ol Grandad, mikemyr, Morris and 8 others like this.
  6. gfh54321

gfh54321 THREADKILLER

Oh, OK. Wait...what???
    ;)

crockett and Paul53 like this.
  7. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Maybe it will, maybe it won't....

Of course, real world EMP effects are for the most part theoretical and there are a LOT of variables involved which will determine the degree of effect.....

8. Maccabee2A

Maccabee2A Luke 22:35-38

My bad. If you can't call it then the safe is EMP resistant.

Dr. Bill and Paul53 like this.
  9. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    http://www.futurescience.com/emp/emp-protection.html

The question about using various kinds of safes as an electromagnetic shield cannot be answered because there are so many variations in construction that would affect the shielding efficiency. In particular, the electrical connection between the door and the rest of the safe is usually not very good at all. Such a safe probably has some shielding effectiveness, but in most cases, the shielding is very minimal. In general, most safes are nearly useless; but a properly prepared locking-lid galvanized trash can will often be very effective.

https://www.thereadystore.com/diy/9713/building-your-own-faraday-cage/

Paul53 likes this.
  10. Swipter

Swipter

That's great. Made me laugh out loud.

n2g and Paul53 like this.
  11. arkdweller22

arkdweller22 Cuhootnified Roamer

If you buy one of these and the safe does not resist you placing it within, then no.
    [​IMG]

This is a gun board, you know you were bound to get it...:D

Anyway, as @Rocketsteve stated; only if the safe sits in a Faraday cage.

12. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

My first thought was a good ground wire to the safe. Give the pulse an easier route?

My other question is if WE would survive the EMP? I have a number of non-oem metal parts. Knee is titanium, also have a metal implant in my shoulder for chemo access.

13. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    EMP's affect complex electronic compoents; basically, things that use a circuit board for their operation; things like simple electric motors, metal parts, etc, are not affected.

And even the complex components are affected at different levels, depending on the distance from the pulse, the shielding involved, and any number of other variables.....

Paul53 likes this.
  14. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

Bye bye low voltage stuff.

15. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

Why would EMP affect your knee or shoulder port?

16. Mayonator

Mayonator

A better question might be: If you have an electronic combination lock on your gun safe, will that sucker still work after an EMP burst? And if not, is there another way to get it open?

Because the first thing I'd think of, is getting to my guns. Then, filling the bath tub.

The data on my solid state drives would be the least of my worries. If my electronics are fried, probably no way to make a phone call or access the Internet, because all that stuff in the immediate vicinity would be fried too. My vehicle probably isn't going to start either.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Glockworks likes this.
  17. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

An EMP creates a magnetic pulse that in turn can create an electric surge - analogous to spinning a magnet in a coil of wires - which conviniently is how a generator works. The issue is the coil of wires or length of wire needed to create the electric current. If the magnet moves by a short, single strand of wire, little if any current is created. I know modern electronics can be super sensitive to electrical overloads, but I've also read (on the ever-so-truthful internet) that most small electronics don't have enough wire length to create a significant electrical pulse from an EMP. I think the most serious concerns from an EMP are the huge surge that would be created in the electric grid (super long lengths of wire), which would in turn, fry any electronics attached to it. Not an expert on this, but that's my understanding.

Glockworks likes this.
  18. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Actually in EMP tests, most vehicles didn't fry. Many shut down during the pulse but could be restarted.

As for a gun safe being used as a faraday cage, it depends on the safe. Ones that are insulated from the outside where the interior is material/carpet/fiber board will probably work as a Faraday cage. All metal gun cabinets where the items within are in contact with the metal exterior probably won't work.

Good point about electronic locks on the safe though. Probably screwed during an emp.

19. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

The effect of EMP on small electronics is overblown. The effect of an EMP is magnified by the length of the conductor. During the Carrington event, lengths of copper wire hundreds of miles long were being affected, so the effect was dramatic. Microcircuitry probably wouldn’t be affected at all.

Bottom line, after an EMP all your small electronics and even cars will still work. The power grid will be fried though along with anything plugged into it.

pittpa likes this.
  20. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I wish we knew definitively. My safe came with a mechanical, and I converted it to electronic. Have thought about reinstalling the mechanical if there was even a chance of this happening.

Glockworks and happie2shoot like this.