Will a Gen 2 frame fit a Gen 3 Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bdoub1eu, Apr 8, 2010.

1. bdoub1eu

bdoub1eu

Got a Gen 3 G19 but the finger grooves just dont fit my hand right and I was considering buying a Gen 2 G19 but the more I thought about it, the more I thought that I could just purchase a Gen 2 frame instead...Can that be done? Can I take a Gen 2 frame and use it on a Gen 3 slide?

Thanks guys for any info...

2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Sure, that can be done, the hard part will be finding one to buy......but the slide and frame should work together just fine.

3. Paul_J

Paul_J

I know a lot of folks don't like modifying their frame and that's ok but if you aren't opposed to it you can file the finger groves/protrusions off. Several folks have done it and it looks very nice when done well.

4. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

As Butch said, should work but finding a frame only will be difficult. I've actually swapped tops with my GEN1 to GEN3 G17s. A better option would be to just remove the finger grooves. If you don't feel up to the task, there are many smiths offering this service.

5. TTO DRIVER

TTO DRIVER

Yes, you can change the frame. But, you do know that by BATF that will change the serial# of the gun to the one on the new frame. :cool:

6. Butch

[​IMG]

7. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

The serial numbers don't "change". In the case of Glocks and many other pistols, the two frames are essentially two separate firearms with two different serial numbers. The slides/barrel assemblies are just gun parts...no different than putting on a .22 lr conversion slide kit.

8. TTO DRIVER

TTO DRIVER

All I'm saying is if you change the frame, thats the serial# of the day. What's your point? :dunno:

9. toddmog

toddmog

I removed the finger grooves on my G19. If I was at the range and could concentrate on lining up my grip with the grooves, I was okay. However, when drawing from my holster, my middle finger would always end up on top of the top hump. I spent a little time with the dremel and then some needle files and 400 grit sand paper. It looks great and feels great too. I also rubbed a little black shoe polish on the frame to take off the little bit of shine from the sanding. I would take a pic, but I have already put my bike tube grip back on it.

10. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

My "point" is the frame of a Glock is not unlike the lower of an AR...it is the firearm. You put a different upper on an AR lower...you don't put a different lower on an AR upper. In the case of a Glock...you put a different slide assembly on a frame...you don't put a different frame on a lower.

I hope this isn't excessively complicated or condescending...but most people with just a basic understanding of firearms can understand the difference.:dunno:

11. durabo

durabo

there are a few places you can get after market frames...

and if your interested in selling your gen 3 frame only let me know~!

12. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Yes, essentially, if you buy a generation 2 frame, you are buying another gun - even if it doesn't have a trigger, bar, connector, trigger housing, etc. If you buy it from a dealer, you must fill out the same paperwork, undergo background check, be in your same state (or FFL xfer), etc. as purchasing a fully operational firearm.

A generation 2 frame will be difficult to find at a lower price than a complete gun. If you do find a complete generation 2 firearm, there is no reason to swap slides.

As others have said, if is is the finger groves you don't like - your best bet is to remove them. The only disadvantage is that if you compete in different shooting sports, it may change the equipment division in which you compete.

13. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

I have to say, that looks pretty darn good. Did you do it yourself?

14. Cartouche

Cartouche

I have taken my Gen 1 G17L and swapped it, the frame, out with my current mfgred G34 slide and bbl. I just like the slimness of the fingerless grip. Although the G34 is not a problem with the grooves. Fits my hand well.

15. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I don't know if you shoot competition, but it's not legal for USPSA production. Unfortunate, as I'd love an RTF-2 frame with a G34 or G35 top.

16. Butch

Nope! Grim Jackel did it......it's his.....yup, he's a member here if you want to try and PM him.

17. ttushooter

ttushooter

yeah it should work. My G34 is a Gen 1 G17 Frame and a glock 34 slide. runs like a champ.