Will a decent rear tine rototiller work in wet soil and very wet soil?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by .264 magnum, Feb 23, 2020.

1. briarpatch

briarpatch

Get an old single bottom plow, take the horse off of it and either get a car, truck or winch, use a cable attached to the plow and pull it up through the area where you want the ditch.
    Drag the plow back and flip the bottom and go again. Repeat as necessary.
    I saw this done many years ago pulled with a 1950 Chevy panel wagon.

Braken likes this.
  2. jp3975

jp3975

For the price of the tiller, why not pay someone to dig?

rogn and 1bigK like this.

3. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Can you post pictures of the area? How much room do you have to get equipment in?

pgg00 likes this.
  4. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I have a lot of time over the next couple months.

5. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I'll try to get pics up. My lake neighbor says I might be able to get a trencher across his property to mine. I'm checking on that in a couple of days.

A tracked trencher would make short work of all this.

6. 72Cheyenne

72Cheyenne

7. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

If you can get a trencher in, you can get a subcompact utility tractor in. I have one of these and it would do all you care to do:

[​IMG]

I know you said you don't have room for a tiny tractor, but I can get into anywhere 47" or less, with the backhoe and 45" or less, with just the front loader, if I have to.

Rotn1, Flying-Dutchman and pgg00 like this.
  8. kiole

kiole

They make some small backhoes what’s your width to get a piece of equipment in.

If you have 29” you can get a CAT 300.9D in there that will dig 5’ deep.

9. railfancwb

railfancwb

Septic tank/field installers?

10. pgg00

pgg00

Exactly what i was going to suggest. Kubota also makes a mini excavator that isn't any wider. 20191029_113922.jpg

Rotn1 likes this.
  11. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Everyone always laughs at those machines, until they have to use a shovel in tight quarters....

OGW, Rotn1 and pgg00 like this.
  12. pgg00

pgg00

Yep. I love my BX. Handy little machine

Rotn1 likes this.
  13. Duramaxsky

Duramaxsky

Is the problem space between the houses or a gate? If it's a gate I would take a section of fence out. My JD 2025R will go through a 48" gate with the front bucket off. The bucket will go through sideways. Kubotas are made smaller than JDs. Less digging power buy still likely good enough.

14. cougar_ml

cougar_ml

From the sounds of it, he probably only has a man sized access gate at best to the back yard. It's already been posted that larger equipment than a rototiller won't fit.

As for purchasing a tiller, if this is the only time it's going to be used, and then going to be sold again, now isn't a bad time of year to do it as you should be able to get most of your money back selling it to someone who wants one for spring planting. Might even be able to find a used one, use it for this one job, then resell it for no loss.

As for the actual tilling, definitely have to have dry soil. You might be able to get away with slightly damp soil, but only if it is loamy or sandy. If it's silt or clay, it's just not worth even trying and you'll be time and aggravation ahead by hiring some guys to do it with shovels.

15. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I looked. A 24” wide ditch witch digs a 3” wide by 18” deep trench. The 6” wide trench didn’t list width. Go to rental place and measure, ask... I have dug in a lot of wire renting walk behind units. (Never in mud) so ask if they will work). The depth can be set. So normally you have fairly smooth trench bottom. In muck???
    IMO start at bottom, work up or you will have moisture building up before you have a way to get rid of it.
    Not knowing your state, local laws. You might not be allowed to drain into lake.

16. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I have three written quotes that math does not work.

17. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

A plumber was there doing work in what might be the identical tractor to what you have. It didn't fit.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  18. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

A very long and very skinny lot, a neighbor's brick fence on one side, a deep drainage improvement on the other, the house and big trees set up the problem.

As I mentioned my only shot at a trencher or mini-tractor/skid steer is across my neighbor's year. I'm checking on that tomorrow.

19. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Good post. I can drain any runoff type water that hasn't been intentionally stored into either the concrete collection ditch/creek to my north that runs straight into the lake or via piping through my sea-wall and into the lake. Slope issues make gravity feed into the concrete ditch problematic.

I agree about starting at the "bottom" that's been the advice from several people.

I've also been advised that much of the area is so wet that tracked machinery will work better that wheeled machinery. Some of the yard is so wet no matter what I do I'll likely have to wait until summer to finish.

Tomorrow or Wednesday I'm going to start pumping water out of the lowest spot and see what happens. I may dig a sump pit - full of holes and surrounded by gravel and geotextile in that spot, pump water for a few days/weeks and see what happens.

Also tomorrow I'm installing a trench drain across the top of the driveway diverting water from the street into a ditch out front. This should eliminate 70-75% of my water issues.

During rains vast amounts of street water from both directions, no joke, flows down my driveway, to the south of my house and into my backyard.

I might just install that drain, wait for the next rain and re-evaluate.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  20. 63Bravo

63Bravo