Will 4th Generation replace 3rd?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GreenMill, Feb 12, 2010.

1. blinddog

blinddog Guest

In the great overview of things, the new usually will replace the old and then be replaced in it's turn. That is why we have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and eventually a 5th and 6th ect. Arguments will always continue as to weather the new is as good as the old. ALA 1911 vs Glock ect. I like my 2nd gen G21's and thats that for me but I am also very fond of my 1911, and my D/A and S/A revolvers. I love my AR's but I am very happy with my old bolt actions and my Lever actions. I guess what I am getting at is that while something new is always around the corner, staying with what you like is important to.

2. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987

Agreed. What you have. What you hold onto. Is what matters. Anything else is silly. And a waste. Act on what you fear. But do so. With restraint. And then… Let the rest fall, where it may.

M

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010

3. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

I personally hope they don't phase out Gen 3's for Gen 4's, but they probably will. Had a chance to handle a Gen 4 G17 today and was less than impressed. The Gen 4 doesn't offer any vast improvement other than possibly the new recoil spring system. Other than that, the Gen 3 is superior in every way in my opinion.

4. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

The gen4 is far from a "major change". It's just "par for the course" for Glock. Change the grip texture and dub it as a new "generation",lol. Glock has avoided all out recalls in the past by simply handling kabooms, cracked frames and broken guide rails on an "as needed" basis. Meaning of course that they'll warranty only exploded guns, etc if or when it happens. This helps to keep their "sterling reputation" untarnished because, technically they never issued a recall. The G22 had so many issues because Gaston refused to redesign the G17 platform around the .40 and Gaston just HAD to be the first to get .40's out the door. Haste makes waste, but in Gastons case, it just leads to denial. As long as it requires no more than reconfiguring the grip texture, there will always be a new "generation" and yet front sights are still being epoxied in place because dovetailing the front sight requires a few more seconds of machine time, so......better to continue to simply fix the ones that fall off on an "as needed" basis....again. It's also cheaper to replace melted/broken guiderods than it is to manufacture a steel part, isnt it? Are we seeing the pattern here yet?? Only now, many years after Walther pioneered interchangeable grip panels(and everyone else followed suit)does Gaston decide it's FINALLY time and the result is the cheapest, shoddiest looking ones in the industry. If this isnt one of the poorest ran companies in the industry, the industry is in dire straits. And now for some even better news....Gaston is setting up manufacturing in Smyrna??? I drank the Glock kool-aid long enough and it's left a bad taste in this consumers mouth.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  5. JBP55

JBP55

I own both and Totally disagree.

6. JoleBole

JoleBole CZShadow

Name 3 things that are superior to 4th gen. I wonder what you'll come up with

7. cimvictimlip

cimvictimlip

My local Glock reseller here in The Czech Republic (central Europe, neighbors to Austria) say on their web pages that 3rd gen will not be discontinued when the 4th gen comes! :whistling: BTW, 4th gens are still not available in Europe. Going to be launched in March.

8. Zertek

Zertek

Not in my book it won't.....

9. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987

Europe and America are different animals. Never forget that. Try getting a Glock 25 or 28, into the U.S. Then get back to me. :supergrin:

10. JoNxMeMpHiS

JoNxMeMpHiS

WOW! I just read this whole post and never heard so many whiney old snot bags in my life. I wonder if the Gen 3 was as "crappy" and "useless" when the Gen 2 was going out.

Get over yourselves and just be glad more people can hold and SAFELY operate a Glock with the Gen 4. If you don't like it then you can always keep your antique Gen 1,2 or 3.

Enjoy your Model-T Ford and I'm sure Windows 3.1 is still pretty fast on that x286 some of you have. :rofl:

11. JoleBole

JoleBole CZShadow

Someone here might still use DOS :tongueout:

12. mrheythere

mrheythere

Is this correct, no pulling trigger to disassemble?

13. JoleBole

JoleBole CZShadow

WOW...I guess it's a deal breaker for some people..Ccc

14. mrheythere

mrheythere

Sir, I do not understand your post.

15. nicholsconcrete

nicholsconcrete

You're right about the kool-aid part... Unfortunately that's about all you got right. Keep up the good work sport...:upeyes:

16. Radford Wooly

Radford Wooly

Everything gets upgraded and phased out. I love my Gen 3 Model 22, and don't ever plan on giving it up.:cool:

17. JoleBole

JoleBole CZShadow

My point was that puling the triger before disassembling became a natural move so I don't mind doing it at all.. Mag out, rack the slide, pull the trigger, take out the slide. Why Glock change that, don't know..Its was working fine as it was.

18. mrheythere

mrheythere

OK. I have no problem with the concept either. I was just curious if in fact such change was made. Thank you.

19. JBP55

JBP55

Same as before.

20. jack76590

jack76590

I imagine it is glocks intent to replace the Gen 3 with the Gen 4. I also imagine it was glocks intent to replace the Gen 3 mag release with the short lived ambi mag release with the front cut.

So it the Gen 4 bombs like the ambi mag release, no it will not replace the Gen 3. I am interested in the Gen 4 but am going to wait until I buy. Glock could not get a simple thing like a redesigned mag release right before it was released. Therefore, I have concerns about the Gen 4 design.