close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Will 4th Generation replace 3rd?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GreenMill, Feb 12, 2010.

1. GreenMill

GreenMill

Maybe this is a stuipid question, but will the 4th generation Glock replace the 3rd generation or will Glock stop making the 3rd generation? If so when?

I've been reading this forum for a weeks and I have really enjoyed it. I'm sorry it took me so long to find it.

I currently own a 23 that I bought last year and a 26 that I bought a few weeks ago. Now I'm trying to decide between a 19 and a 21. I can't sleep at night trying to figure this one out :supergrin:.

2. jimmygun

jimmygun

Welcome and eventually yes.

3. tbyron

tbyron

From what I've read, the 4th generation Glocks will be replacing the 3rd generation models. I'm with you on not knowing when this will officially occur.

As for you next Glock, I own a G19 and love it. I always suggest a G19 if someone doesn't own it yet. But you already have a G26, it's very similar. You also have a G23 that you could convert to 9mm.

Since you don't have a full size Glock, go for the 21. You have a 9mm and a 40S&W, time for the 45ACP.

4. AustinTx

AustinTx

Will 4th Generation replace 3rd?

Not with me.

5. oISHUTupNrocKIo

oISHUTupNrocKIo Glock Lover

I hope not for awhile... I like the 3rd Gen ALOT better.

6. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987

I went to a Gun Show last month (January 14th). Talked to a store owner, who had been in touch with a Glock representative. This is what he told me. That... as of January 1st 2010, Glock officially stopped taking orders on all Generation 3 models. All orders (from that point forward) were updated to their Gen 4 equivalent. And what Generation 3 models, that have already been released (prior January 1st) is what's available from now on. The Glock Models 17 and 22 (Gen 4) will be released sometime January 2010. The Glock 19 and 23 (Gen 4) will be released sometime March 2010. The Glock 21 and 30 (Gen 4) will be released sometime around May 2010. The Glock 20 (Gen 4) will come sometime later.

This is all tentative (the release dates). But Glock plans to have 6 or so Gen 4 models. On the market, ready to buy, by summertime.

As for Generation 3, as he told me, as of the first of this year, all requests for Gen 3 models (by dealers and sellers) have been updated to Gen 4 models. And no more orders, for Generation 3, are being taken by Glock any longer. What Generation 3 Glocks, are currently on the market, is all there will be. From this time forward. I hope that answers your question. And sorry for the buzzkill.

M

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  7. j-glock22

j-glock22

the 4G will not be replacing my 3G thanks for asking.

8. centr0

centr0

it would be interesting to see what happens in Kalifornia with the gen4 not being sold here yet. (that i know of)

9. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

This makes a lot of sense. I work in manufacturing so I can understand the motives Glock would have in a major redesign like this. First goal is to eliminate any issues that create warranty claims. They all but admitted this was the reason behind the dual stage recoil spring for the 22 in the cover story in Autopistol. Next, you want to update any features where the competition has leapfrogged you, i.e., interchangeable backstraps. Third, part of any redesign goal is ALWAYS to reduce SKUs wherever possible. Manufacturers (and their dealers) absolutely HATE small niche variants. We want turns of inventory. Distribution managers are often bonused on how often they turn their inventory. The more niche models you have, the more slow movers you end up with in inventory. Business 101. The real beauty of the Gen4 design for Glock and their dealers is that they can now eliminate all of the SF and RTF2 models because the Gen4 gives you all of this in one SKU. This is a classic redesign effort that accomplishes all of these goals.

So, if you really want a Gen3 rather than a Gen4, better get it soon.

10. pangloss9

pangloss9

I've never taken a business class, so I'm glad I read this. Thanks.

I'm very happy with my Gen4 so far, but the fact that they are stopping production on the Gen3 guns makes me a little nervous. I figured they'd keep pumping out the Gen3s for a while longer.

11. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

And they may. My post is pure speculation on my part as I have no inside knowledge of what is going on at Glock. But, universal business principles apply to them as well as anyone. Obviously, they are hard at work studying the reception of the Gen4. You always want to make sure your new product is well accepted before pulling the plug on the old one. Remember "New Coke"?

12. whitey4311

whitey4311

So does anyone have news about California?

My guess is a big company like this will have all its models on the DOJ list. I would like to get a gen 4 just to have one dedicated to CCW and the other to USPSA both setup identical to each other. This way I only have to detail strip one every now and then not after every match since it goes from the range and back IWB for the next week.

13. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

I will buy one when my Gen3's wear out :whistling:

14. mixflip

mixflip

Historically yes. New gen's replaces the next with Glock.

California (and others) need to be on that DOJ list right? Hmmm. That could cause a shortage and a demand and a buying and price frenzy...which is all good business for Glock slightly and for the end retailers immensely! (weather they plan it or it just the way the chips fall naturally)

I bet if Glock has a hard time getting the paperwork in order for the Ca DOJ, gen3 Glocks will either dry up and be hard to find (like the AR rush after Obama won) or they will stay on the shelves at a crazy high price due to demand. (price gouging)

Oh yeah and welcome new guy!!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  15. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987

The info that I received came from a Class III Gun Dealer, who had received Glock 17 and 22 Gen 4 models, in early January (of this year). A Glock Representative came out, and described the changes personally. Told him, to wait, to publicly show and/or sell them, until after the Shot Show event. He spent time with the guy. And when talk came to the Generation 3, the Rep made specific mention to not being able to order Gen 3 pistols any longer (this was early January). A few weeks before any real data, on the Gen 4’s came out. The mention of the first of the year (being the cut-off date) was said directly to the dealer. And then to me. From what the rep said, Glock had been testing the Gen 4, for some time. They were confident, and excited by the changes. As was the dealer, who couldn’t stop talking about it.

The interchangeable backstraps, the stronger frame, the switchable mag release, the change of depressing the trigger (to disassemble the gun), was all said to me, by the dealer on January 2nd (I made an error when I said January 14th). I had to check my Gun Show stub. And it was earlier, than I thought it was. The dealer said to me, as of January 1st (2010), all orders made by dealers, shop owners, and distributors for Glock Gen 3 models were being updated to Gen 4’s. The whole line had switched to Gen 4, so Glock can mobilize, to get as much Gen 4 out as possible, within the next year. This is a repeat of what Coke did with New Coke. Glock is that confident. The dealer went on to say, that Glock was not taking any orders on the Gen 3, and what was on the market (already in stores, with dealers, etc) is what there is. No more will made, or produced by Glock. No more. The Gen 3 is history. What is in stores now, is all there will be. The dealer was very clear on this point. He made it, several times. “Any phone calls, or attempts to order Generation 3 Glocks, from the factory, are being updated to Gen 4 spec.” “What Generation 3, is on the market, in storefronts and with dealers, is what you will find.” “No further support from Glock, will be taken, in the making of Generation 3 Glocks, from New Years (this year) on.” That’s what he told me. No grey, or wiggle room, is in those words. So according to him, and the rep, its already done. And its been done. The plunge has begun. Hope that helps.

M

16. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987

Thanks.

M

17. BKG-22

BKG-22 Millennium Member

but, but, but..... is that to say there could be a shortage of certain models during the year due to Gen4 retooling?

For example, lets say a guy is looking for a G20, which is probably a ways down the in the pecking order for Gen4 mfg dates. They are also a little scarce on the dealer shelves today. So, there is a possibility that there is none in stock, and the mfg date for this model may not be until Q3/Q4 2010. Hmmmmmm..... Sounds to me that if "said guy" is serious about a G20, he should probably pick one up and worry about Gen4 enhancements later as a trade-in option.

18. Adionik

Adionik

I'll be waiting for the 4th gen Glock 20

19. MartinRiggs1987

MartinRiggs1987

That's my take as well. So... If there's a particular model. That you've always wanted. But for whatever reason. Have failed to get. And you want the Gen 3. Get it now. It may be rare. More expensive. And more difficult later. Especially. If you're not a fan. Of the Gen 4 makeover. And prefer the 3. Now would be the time.

My take is. This will increase sales. Across the board. On Glock pistols. Period. Like the ammo craze. People fearful of not getting theirs. Will. And in droves. This will even affect rare models. That’s why I bought the 24C. …There’s few now (especially NIB). What will there be? Six months from now? When the Gen 3 itself, becomes uncommon. And people then, buy to buy. That’s my fear.

M

20. richie3888

richie3888

So is cali getting the gen4 glock 19 later than all the other states? Do you guys think i should wait to buy the gen4 instead of the gen3 glock 19?