Wild Boar

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by isalamon, Sep 17, 2005.

1. isalamon

isalamon

I recently started hunting Wild Boar and am looking for recipe ideas. I've got it down for the ribs and for the roasts (but always willing to hear new ideas). I am really interested in a good way to tenderize the chops. I've tried several marinades and even a Jaccard. I just can't seem to get them perfect. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. tat2guy

tat2guy NRA Life Member Silver Member

I don't have a recipie, though i imagine one wouldn't be hard to find- at my bachelor party the strippers whipped me with wild boar jerkey. Turns out it was pretty tasty.

3. isalamon

isalamon

Now there's a picture :)

4. noway

noway

Cook using the same marinades as domestic pork. Just remember it very leans and no fat or very little of fat and no marbling. If it's a sow ( female ) you shouldn't have too much wild game odor and if it was boar ( male ) as long as you did field dressing quickly and took all other precautions, you shouldn't have too much boar taint to worry about. Young hogs and sows are better tasting than older boars. And if you hogs was getting most of it's food from a feeder or rottening veggies, then you should have meats more closely & similar to store bought pork.

You will most likely need to cook it on high heat, quickly and mop or baste the meat as it cooks. Make sure you cook it completely and not raw or pink inside. OR you will need to do a complete freeze like under 10degs to kill trichinosis.

What I liked todo is cut the loins & back straps ( the meat that runs alone the spine between the ham and rib cage ) & grind the rest up. I cut these straps and loin in 1-3" cubes/strips and water soak 4 10hours, consisting of 1 pt vinegar to 30-40pt water. Do this until the meat turns a lite pinkish color. Then add your standard seasonsing and then grill these on he grill till well done or place them on a soaked wooden skewers with pork + a veggie+ white meat chicken+ a different veggie + pork. When the chicken is done, the wild pork should be almost ready.

You can also crock pot it for about 4-6 hours ( depending on crock pot ) add cube potatoes, carrots, black eye peas and whatever else you like to the pot during the last 1 hour. Make sure you give time for the poatoes to cook and become tender.

Serve the above on rice and with white cornbread and you have a meal.

5. JPinAZ

JPinAZ

FYI, trichinella spiralis can't survive past 137 degrees F. So as long as the meat is over that, it can be a bit pink.

ETA: I decided to verify th source that I used & found that the cooking temp is in fact 137, but the freezing temp noway lists is actually 20 degrees CELCIUS for three days. See the last paragraph at http://www.trichinella.org/index_synopsis.htm

6. isalamon

isalamon

Thanks for replies. I've used the crock pot for ham and shoulder roasts. The results were great both times. I've been using the entire sow for roasts chops, ribs, etc. I got one boar that was about 150 and used him too without any game taste, but he was a bit tough. I just got a 300 pound boar. Teeth are almost 5.25 inches. He will be all sausage and I am having the mount done too. I'm not a trophy guy, but his coloring was very rare so I decided to do it. I'm not sure my wife will let it the house though. I'll post a pic when I get him back in about 4 - 6 months.

I'm moving on to venison next month when the season opens in Florida and I may be back looking for recipes, other than stew. There are plenty on line, but it's always nice to use one from a more personal source than foot TV :)

Thank again.

7. noway

noway

Good job, 5" tusk is nice and great thing you are getting a mount. I haven't yet taken any with tusk over 4" protruding.

You will like the sausages ;)

8. isalamon

isalamon

They are good. I got about 20 lbs out of the last boar in addition to all my other cuts. This big guy is expected to yield about 125 -150 lbs of sausage.

9. noway

noway

100-125 of raw meat from a wild hog that weighed 300lbs ?

I would bet probably less than what you have guess. I use the 37-40% ratio with wild game. After skinning, deboning and what not you would be lucky to get 40% of the live weight in meat. If it was domestic pig, I would go upwards to 45% but no more.

Believe it or not, Bone, hair, brains,guts and everything else weighs alot ;)

Gives us details on what/who did does your sausages and what they use. I mainly stick with a custom spice blend based around tepin or piquin peppers w/dry garlic & sage and a few others ingredients or go with the extra-extra hot italian mix using the red crush pepper flake. All is blended 50-50 with not lean ground chuck or ground pork. If I get creative I somethings use a 50/25/25 blend of wild pork/domestic pork/ground chuck in that order. I bought a good stainless sausage stuffer at the ending of last year to help me roll my own but I do get my butcher to blend the spices and meat in a mixer.

Either way you will have some good meats for grilling on the grill on pan frying. I can almost smell the smoke from my location ;)

10. isalamon

isalamon

Wow you really get creative. I let the processor do all the work, but it does sound like something I might want to try some time. I use Chappy's in Lakeport. I hunt with a guide from there. They use only the boar meat and mix with domestic pork fat and their own blend of spices. I order a combo of hot and sweet both Italian style. They also do breakfast, but I'm not really a breakfast eater so I pass on that.

11. noway

noway

{I use Chappy's in Lakeport.}

i've too also use Chappy when on that side of the lake. Craig Miller ( iirc his name correctly ) is pretty good and does a decent job. The ony problem I've had was slowness in find your order if he has orders stacked up. Also, I wasn't too impress with his jerky, but other than that he is excellent. That chappy store also has some very nice stuff. My I suggest in getting a shaker of the Seminole swamp seasoning. You will love it and it's not burning hot but a great overall seasoning good for pork -thru- beef and everything else in between.

His prices are about on par with most others ($40 for deer $50 for hog ). He also told me if you bring a smaller hog he will probably reduce the fee some and specially true if you have numerous sml hogs. His bulk and link sausages prices are little on the high end for links but he wraps & present them much better than most others. The bulk sausges he uses the plastic bags that you can easily resealed and easily labeled.

I actually has some pork in the frig thawing out right now. I will be making some spaghetti with wild pork in a tomate paste for a topping ;)

12. isalamon

isalamon

Thanks for the seasoning tip. I'll give it a try

13. J.D. Locke

J.D. Locke 1942-1999

Well 37% of 300 comes out to 111# and 40% is 120#

14. J.D. Locke

J.D. Locke 1942-1999