Wikipedia....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SIUC4, Mar 30, 2010.

1. SIUC4

SIUC4 Glockness

If there is a thread on this already, there needs to be a new one.
    Wikipedia MAY at times have some details that are correct. There are however many, many, many topics on wikipedia that are 100 percent false. When trying to give a reference on a topic in a thread for others to read, wikipedia is not the route to go.

/rant/

2. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

I find that it it's usually a good source if you have good enough common sense to tell what's fact and what's junk, lol.

3. arclight610

arclight610

I like the idea of Wikipedia, a collective of human knowledge.

4. SIUC4

SIUC4 Glockness

Thats the problem, some people do not have that sense and will read into and believe anything they see...In several of my college classes if Wikipedia was in a citation page it was an automatic 0.

5. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

I remember reading a study that said the accuracy of wikipedia was within 2% of encyclopedias.

6. Easterbrook

Easterbrook Wagon Burner

I think it's decently accurate, and is a great reference tool for background information on a topic.

However, I hate some of the bent they have: like they have an article Homelessness in the United States. To read that article you'd think the USA was the biggest crap-hole in the world.

Interestingly, they don't have articles on homelessness in Haiti, Somalia, or Zimbabwe. Those countries must have their **** together to not have homelessness.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  7. Faulkner

Faulkner Patriot Millennium Member

My first thought was, who cares?

8. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

At least Wiki has the potential for it's inaccuracies to be corrected over time because it all comes under world wide peer review. Just because something was published in an encyclopedia by a major publisher does not mean that the authors really knew their stuff. And if they didn't, there's no chance it's going to be corrected any time soon.

I heard Glen Beck slamming Wiki once, but from the way he spoke about it, it was obvious that he had no idea how the "peer review and change" process worked. In fact, Glen Beck is a perfect example of a guy who's opinions are published by a major media outlet, even though many of his statements could use some correction through Wiki-style peer review, from people who know the subjects better than Glen does. Glen illustrates why large scale peer review (which Wiki gets) eventually results in better published information than you'd ever get when one guy throws his opinion out there and nobody gets to add anything or correct errors.

Who says the published authors/commentators "really know it all" as well as they think they do? Brittney Spears is widely published, but is she really the best musician/singer out there? What a joke that is.:whistling:

9. Goaltender66

Goaltender66 NRA GoldenEagle

It's great if you need recaps of movie plots or television shows.

As a scholarly work, it stinks.

10. hoffy

hoffy

like someone said, a starting point. No way am I buying 2% inaccuracy. If you use it as a source in college, I pity you. Saw a graduate student nearly cry when proff went off on her. Would have been funny if not for the ten minute diatribe about what a peer reviewed journal was and some other renegade defended wiki as reviewed and the situation went down hill from there.:rofl: The proff could tell by my expression how I felt but since I was in the front row I was trapped while he went off(not a quiet guy):faint:

11. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

Hmmm, I was certain Montana was the fourth largest state, not Arizona.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona#Geography

Geography</SPAN>

Arizona is located in the western United States as one of the Four Corners states. Arizona is the fourth largest state in area, after Nevada and before Montana. Of the state's 113,998 square miles (295,000 km2), approximately 15% is privately owned. The remaining area is public forest and park land, state trust land and Native American reservations.

12. boozer

boozer

Most Wiki articles have footnotes, I often follow them to read the source material.

Most of the time it is distilled fairly well.

I hate it when someone cites a Wiki article in an exchange, and the reply is "Wikipedia is all falsehood" with no counter argument. I guess if you can't dispute the facts, denounce the source.

13. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

Wikipedia is one of the most phenomenal reference tools available, and is one of my first research points on any subject.

HOWEVER, anyone citing Wikipedia as a solid reference is an idiot.
    LIKEWISE, anyone criticizing Wikipedia because some idiots cites it is also an idiot.

Wikipedia articles have a section at the bottom for references. Use them.

14. SIUC4

SIUC4 Glockness

ALSO anyone saying wikipedia is a phenomenal reference tool is an idiot.

15. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

Regardless of anyone's opinion, I really enjoy reading stuff on Wikipedia.

16. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I can spend hours clicking the Random Article link.

Wikipedia is a great tool, you can catch a quick, informal overview of a topic and if it is interesting use the refrences at the bottom to research it. I have never "cited" Wikipedia because I never know from one day to the next if Eric requires APA or CMS, but if an article seems like something other posters might be interested in I will link to it.

I find that most people who use Wikipedia are somewhat less credulous than those who are convinced that it is published by a guy in a red suit from the nether regions. No source is fool proof. Trust no one. Those who put their faith in "established, peer reviewed sources" can be fooled too.

17. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

I agree. :dunno:

18. boozer

boozer

OK, SIUC4, since we're all idiots, which articles are false.

I understand historical articles are written with a slant, but when I want to know when Churchill died, I know where to look quickly. Are they lying about that, too?

19. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

For a doctoral thesis, Wikipedia isn't good enough. For grabbing a quick reference for a fact on a casual internet discussion I think it is good enough. If some quoted fact is incorrect, you are more than welcome to do the research and correct the poster.

I for one don't have time to do in-depth research on every inane topic discussed here.

PS. Everyone with more than a 4th grade education knows that no single source is considered to be completely reliable. When someone quotes Wikipedia here, I think it is a GIVEN that we take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  20. nmk

nmk

And why is that? What do you think its value is?