close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wifi Security Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Wingnut357, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Wingnut357

Wingnut357 Killer Casual

I'm trying to set up my girlfriend's wireless network, and her HP dv4000 is pushing me towards insanity.
    It will connect to the Linksys AP just fine without any security enabled, but times out with "waiting for the network" or "waiting for an IP address" whenever I enable WEP or WPA. I've tried using a Netgear AP with the same results, when other computers connect to it perfectly.
    Figuring it was a Windows Zero Config problem, I downloaded the newest intel centrino drivers for my board, and installed the intel connection managing software.
    Still nothing, and it still connects flawlessly without any security enabled.
    I'm out of ideas, so maybe someone here might have a clue.

WinXP SP2 with all hotfixes and updates.

2. Ljunatic

Ljunatic On The Fringe

Make sure that the wep/wpa encryption passcode that you enter is EXACTLY the same including syntax and that the encryption level is identical. Also make sure both machines are using the same key

3. Wingnut357

Wingnut357 Killer Casual

Tried saving the key string to a text file and copy and pasting it to each machine via a USB-drive. No dice.
    I agree though, it should be something simple that I'm doing wrong, but I'm at a loss to find it.

4. Ljunatic

Ljunatic On The Fringe

Is it possible that MAC filtering is enabled? I use this on my Netgear router as an additional layer of security. If it is enabled, you must allow access to each different machine by MAC address