close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wifi Network

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by McGlockerson, Feb 26, 2005.

1. McGlockerson

McGlockerson

I have a linksys wifi router that is hard wired into my desktop and sends a wifi signal to my laptop. Is there a way to set up a wireless network so I can share files and do I have to have SP2 on both? I know with service pack 2 you get the setup wireless network option but I lose my p2p networking if I install it on my desktop.

2. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

Just put them in the same workgroup, open up some folder shares and you should be good to go! :) I share files/folders between my 3 desktops (hardwired), and my laptops, as well as my wifes laptop (all 3 laptops are wireless). The thing I would be careful about is the security on the wireless part, setup a WEP encryption, or some other method to lock down who can access your wireless network.

3. McGlockerson

McGlockerson

Thank you, works like a charge. I have another question now, what is to stop me from driving over to a friend’s house, parking in his driveway, setting my workgroup to "workgroup" and deleting all of his stuff?

4. DragonRider

DragonRider

WEP or WPA depending on the router is one thing. If you don't have the key to the network, you can't talk to it. Also if the SSID isn't broadcasted, its a little bit harder to join.

Now my neighbors. I have my choice of 2 DSL lines and 3 Cable lines to utilize if I ever desire to. They broadcast their SSID with no encryption.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

John

5. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

DragonRider is correct. Although even if they had no encryption, if they didn't have any actual shared folders/files, it would be a bit tougher to actually delete something (for those who aren't in the field at least).

If you go into the admin page of the Linksys router, that's where you would set up the WEP encryption. You can generate your own code, or have the system generate one automatically. Then you would put that in the settings of the wireless card on each laptop you want to have access.

I personally took the lazy way out (although not quite as secure), I just programmed in the MAC addresses of each laptop NIC that would access my network (including other family members that come over).

6. McGlockerson

McGlockerson

Damn, thats the really safe way! I think I am gonna try it!