close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wife's gen 4 mod.19 range report

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Hummerbike, Mar 27, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Hummerbike

Hummerbike

Picked it up yesterday and detail stripped and cleaned it. Striker was heavily oiled at factory. Did the 25 cent trigger job last night and took the wife out this evening to shoot it.

She shot 150 rounds of Federal 115 gr fmj and had several problems. A couple of times the slide would hesitate a fraction of a second before moving forward.

Out of each magazine she would end up with at least two pieces of brass in her shirt pocket and one down her blouse. The rest would hit her in the chest or upper arm. Needless to say she did not like this at all.

We then switched to Double Tap 147gr. Gold Dot. Ejections were consistantly about five feet to the four oclock position.

It seems this gun likes higher power loads. I will try WWB next time out and see how it does.

2. MadCityJack

MadCityJack

I had a similar problem with 115 gr ammo with my Gen 4 19. I didn't think the "reliability" of the Glock should depend on the ammunition, at least with new brass. So, I emailed Glock and was told they would send a new ejector to the armorer where I had purchased it. This was done without charge to me. There is a tremendous amount of information here on this issue, some positive and some not so positive. Did you you fire it as well? Some folks believe "limp wrist" is a contributing factor and valid arguments abound. Check out this forum by searching "G19 Gen 4 problems". Since the ejector upgrade, I am shooting WWB and Remington 115 gr without problem. I hope this works out well for you.

3. Hummerbike

Hummerbike

I called Glock and told them about the ejection problem and was told to have the Armorer I bought it from call them. He did and they are sending out a new trigger housing for him to install.

Thanks for the advice.

4. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Hope she was happy with the way the 147gr worked.

Of course it should shoot anything (ideally), but if you find it functions better in her hands with certain kinds of practise ammo than others, then stock up on that kind :)

Maybe your armorer will get it 100% with all ammo, or maybe it will break in over time.

My G4 17 had only 1 stovepipe, but multiple brass to the face. It has steadily gotten better on its own as it got more broken in :) I love that gun.

5. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Federal Champion 115-gr FMJ ammo is the weakest ammo ever sold. Once the recoil spring has had about 200 rounds of real ammo fired, the Federal will function better. Cheap is cheap. You get what you pay for. Winchester USA is far better ammo. American Eagle (by Federal) is even better.

6. TonyT

TonyT

Several shooters at our local club have experienced ejections issues with 4th generation Glock's. In cases I observed the cases barely fell out of the chamber. i advised them to contact Glock. I don't know what Glock did to turn a super reliable pistol into a piece of junk.

7. Radian

Radian

Speer Lawman for practice and gold dot for defense are a great combination. Lawman is cheap and plenty powerful enough to cycle the weapon AND acclimates the shooter to the gold dot round used my a huge number of law enforcement agencies.

8. Radian

Radian

The increased the spring pressure to decrease felt recoil. Similar to KAC assuming a person who buys a quality weapon would not run PMC trash in it, sized gas ports to run 556 and not be overgassed. Never underestimate stupid.

Glock fixed their guns to accommodate stupid as did KAC. Free to the user. KAC was just more direct in identifying the problem as user stupidity related "mud tires on a ferrari". wanna run <125 k PF ammo in a gun marketed to Law Enforcement agencies, don't be surprised if it does not eject with enough "passion".

Add a limpy female grip dont be surprised when it does not cycle, same as my old gen 2 gun.

Run lawman or swap the RSA to run gamer ammo, been done since my grampy cut coils on the 1911.