Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(Edited after intial post: She purchased a Springfield EMP 9mm :thumbsup: )

Suggest a single stack 9mm for my wife.

She can shoot and knows guns. Her own personal handguns right now are:
-- S&W 637 .38 snubbie (carry)
-- Beretta 92compact (some carry, mostly target)
-- Ruger GP-100 .357 (hunting and target)

She's looked at:
-- Kahr PM9 (not best fit in hand, not a fan of black ugly)
-- Springfield EMP 9mm (she liked a lot, surprised her, not sure if she wants cocked and locked for carry)

She's seen in catalog, with an interest:
-- Kel-teck PF9 (thought it was beyond ugly to almost cute)
-- Walther PPS (another black polymer)

I've also thought about:
-- Sig 290 (new, couldn't find one in a gun shop yet)
-- Ruger LC9 (new, doubt anyone has one yet, has a safety)
-- Sig 239, probably kinda big, not sure if available in DAO (don't want traditional DA/SA safety-decocker).
-- Kahr P9 or CW9 (larger grip, she shot a P9 very well before).

I think she'd generally prefer DAO, no external safety. However she thinks the 1911 style 9mm are kinda cool. For shooting, locked and cocked SA is ok, but not sure if she wants that style for carry. The traditional DA/SA with safety-decocker isn't terrible, and it's what her Beretta has, so she'd be comfortable with it. It is just that we've both also been comfortable with double action only, no safety (her 637 in DA mode qualifies for that).

I've also got a Ruger LCP .380, and Glock 26. She doesn't like either. The Glock is too blocky. The Ruger is maybe too thin, too small, too snotty, and doesn't inspire confidence with the .380. She can except snotty if it is balistically worth it to her. She's fine with the snubbie .38 recoil.

This gun she is searching for wouldn't just be for carry, but also for target shooting, and IDPA. But still, thin and small enough for carry. Yet maybe fun enough to shoot.

Any ideas? :)

Of course she'd hold in her own hand and pick what she likes, and have to like the looks and feel of. I'm just asking for suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Have you considered others in the kahr line? Is it the PM9's short grip that she didn't like?

I, personally, would get the PPS out of that list. They are quite trustworthy guns and it's really a great conceal size.

·
Registered
32,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Have you considered others in the kahr line? Is it the PM9's short grip that she didn't like?

I, personally, would get the PPS out of that list. They are quite trustworthy guns and it's really a great conceal size.
Yeah, I just edited above to add consideration of the P9. She actually shot one before and did great with it. I'm not sure if she remembers. I bet the grip of the P9 fits her better than the PM9. I think it is just that it is an ugly black polymer, kinda plain looking, that it hasn't caught her eye much. But something for her to think about.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I would suggest the Kahr P9. Longer grip than the PM9, but same width. It has a barrel just a fraction of an inch longer than the G26 (virtually the same), with seven in the mag, comes with an extended mag of 8, too. VERY comfortable in waistband, if that's what she likes. Solid as a rock, nice to shoot, great trigger, nice sights, accurate, and very high quality build and finish. I just put XS small dot night sights on mine and am quite pleased.

The Walther PPS is nice, and very Glockish, but the mags are dumb, with the big, sharp, clunky plastic ends... doesn't lend itself to carrying another mag gracefully or to very smooth mag changes. That might not matter to her, and probably wouldn't ever matter if she was called upon to use her gun in a defensive situation, anyway.

The Kel-Tec PF9 is junk. No other way to say it. Hurts everyone to shoot it, with the added bonus of consistent failure-to-EVERYTHING. It does have a nasty, loooooong trigger pull with a thin, wobbly plastic trigger, though. If you like to spend your evenings trimming excess plastic and sanding the exterior of your gun, it can provide hours of fun, too. Thank goodness it's not accurate.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
How about a Sig P225/ P6. It's my wifes favorite pistol .
That would be my suggestion, but I believe it is only available in standard DA/SA Decocker configuration. Very well balanced pistol though.

·
Amateur geezer
570 Posts
Beretta made a single stack 92 compact for a while, the Type M. If she already likes her 92 compact, it may be worth looking for one.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I liked my son's PF9 so much I bought one for myself.
Conceals very easy. Personally, in a carry gun I prefer more than 7 rounds, but it is still an improvement on the 5 rounds on my wife's 642.

My wife hasn't shot it yet, so I can't give you her impression of it.

It is barely wider than the KT-3AT, so your wife might not like it, but I would let her try one out. I learned the hard way not to pick out a firearm for my wife. I just keep buying them for me, and every now and then she'll just take one of mine and say it is hers now. (My wife REALLY likes large capacity .40s and pump 12 GAs, but she still carries a 642 and a KT-P32)

·
Registered
32,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Beretta made a single stack 92 compact for a while, the Type M. If she already likes her 92 compact, it may be worth looking for one.
I'll mention it to her, but she'd probably want something a little different.

She teaches other women to shoot, so she likes a variety (within reasonable funds).

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
What is that? DAK? What's the manual of operation?

I know next to nothing about Sigs, just that the 239 is a single stack 9mm.

The Sig DAK trigger is a DAO trigger...no safety, no de-cocker.

Since she is alreade use to DA/SA triggers on semi-auto's, a standard Sig 239 may work well for her. Many ladies like the way the 239 feels.

Another option would be an all-steel Kahr, like the K9 or MK9.

And also the Kimber Solo. (But I'd take the EMP over the Solo ANY day)

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
I think she'd generally prefer DAO, no external safety. However she thinks the 1911 style 9mm are kinda cool. For shooting, locked and cocked SA is ok, but not sure if she wants that style for carry.

Any ideas? :)

Of course she'd hold in her own hand and pick what she likes, and have to like the looks and feel of. I'm just asking for suggestions. Thanks.
My wife's criteria was almost identical. She also has small hands with short fingers, so finding a pistol that was really comfortable was a challenge. She ended up with the Para PDA. Holds 8+1 rounds of 9mm, has night sights and was designed to be 9mm, so the grip is very slim. The DAO LDA trigger is the lightest, smoothest double action trigger I've tried. Very nice pistol.

We originally got her the Springfield EMP but had lots of problems with it and swapped it out for this.

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
She's looked at:
-- Kahr PM9 (not best fit in hand, not a fan of black ugly)
-- Springfield EMP 9mm (she liked a lot, surprised her, not sure if she wants cocked and locked for carry)

She's seen in catalog, with an interest:
-- Kel-teck PF9 (thought it was beyond ugly to almost cute)
-- Walther PPS (another black polymer)

I've also thought about:
-- Sig 290 (new, couldn't find one in a gun shop yet)
-- Ruger LC9 (new, doubt anyone has one yet, has a safety)
-- Sig 239, probably kinda big, not sure if available in DAO (don't want traditional DA/SA safety-decocker).
-- Kahr P9 or CW9 (larger grip, she shot a P9 very well before).
Given this feedback I think getting one of the Kahr CW9's from Bud's for $366 shipped is the way to go. Out of the new 2011 9's the only one that has caught my interest is the Kimber Solo, but it's going to need some time to be proven reliable or not (same with the 290 and the LC9). It does have a safety but so does the EMP which she liked, and no hammer on the Solo.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Silly me...I forgot to include the best...

HK P7
:supergrin:

·
Registered
32,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My wife's criteria was almost identical. She also has small hands with short fingers, so finding a pistol that was really comfortable was a challenge. She ended up with the Para PDA. Holds 8+1 rounds of 9mm, has night sights and was designed to be 9mm, so the grip is very slim. The DAO LDA trigger is the lightest, smoothest double action trigger I've tried. Very nice pistol.
On that Para PDA, how is it carried?

Chamber a round, then safety fliped up for on? Hammer is not cocked back, I assume.

Then the DAO just works like normal, pull trigger and hammer goes back until it falls and BOOM?

Can you carry without the safety on? Is there some sort of block keeping the firing pin from moving, for drop safe, until the trigger is pulled?

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Colt is (or already has, I just haven't seen one yet) coming out with a 9mm DAO version of their New Agent. No thumb safety on it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts