close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wife wants a new gun, opinions?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by HauntedAlabama, Feb 5, 2010.

1. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama

So my wife carries my Glock 27 and has been doing so for awhile now. Last weekend we went looking because the tax refund has come and there are a couple things I am interested in looking for. She explained she wants something smaller and lighter to carry while we were out. I know for a fact she does not want a .38, she had one and hated it. What do you guys know about North American Arms? The guy at the store I shop at alot was trying to sell her on a .32 he had in the case. It looked nice, felt good, etc and seemed to be of good quality but I have never known anyone that has owned one of their products. We looked at a Ruger LCP .380 and a Kel-Tec in .32 but the sales guy said the Ruger would have some kick to it. My dad has one of the Kel-Tec .32 and he likes it and carries it often. The NAA one seems to be nicer and I would go that route if they are good guns. She also looked over a Beretta Px4 storm sub compact 9MM and has been talking about it all week. I tried to explain that it would be like carrying the 27, but I think she liked it more than the Glock and that is why she keeps bringing it up. I am not sure if that means she wants it and would be fine since it would be her gun and not mine, or if she just liked it and still wants a smaller gun. I figure it is like shoes, if they are ugly and comfy she won't wear them but if she likes them and they hurt, she will put them on and go all day. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Puppy

Puppy

North American Arms makes pretty decent firearms & the NAA .32 is a pretty good little pocket pistol, if she liked it that'd probably be a very good choice IMHO.

3. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

I'd get her what she wanted.

4. jp3975

jp3975

Try a walter pps in 9mm. Looks big in the pic but it's tiny and thin. Feels good in the hand too.

[​IMG]

5. viniglock

viniglock

Whatever she wants (she is the boss).

6. chilic82

chilic82

Yep, she'll enjoy it more if she picked it out and likes it. Sounds like you'll be buying a PX4. Just make sure she knows it will have 2 different trigger pulls, different than the Glock she's used to.

7. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL

Dimond back 380.......:wavey:

8. madecov

madecov book em' Danno

Take her to the guns show and let her pick.
    I would also recommend the Walther PPS as a quality, reliable slim easy to carry handgun.

9. HiVelSword

HiVelSword Sweetn the ride

She should get the Px4 because maybe she's trying to tell you she doesn't like the snappy recoil of the .40 without actually telling you.

It's been my experience that some women will stay silent on certain things lest you think less of them.

But even if it's not the case, the PX4 storm SC will be easier on her hands. And what it gives up in bore size it makes up for with a 4 round advantage and faster follow up shots.

9mm is also cheaper to practice with.

10. NC-G27

NC-G27

If she likes the feel of the G27, but just don't like the snappy recoil, I'd look into the G26...

My wife and I are in the same position as you, and she's looking at the G26 for the reasons I just stated above...

11. HiVelSword

HiVelSword Sweetn the ride

Then again she might like the way the PX4 feels in her hand better than the Glock.

12. motorcyclist

motorcyclist

This is a common ruse used by females to get the male involved in the decision. When she doesn't like the final product she now has you to blame. Don't fall for it! Let her pick one out.

13. cciman

cciman

You are asking for opinions on this forum? :rofl: I don't think there are any strong opinions here. Go to the 1911, or Glock forums.

14. cciman

cciman

You are asking for opinions on this forum? :rofl: I don't think there are any strong opinions here. Go to the 1911, or Glock forums.

Try a Taurus Judge for no recoil.

G19 is not that much bigger.

15. madAB

madAB

:goodpost: This is what I going to suggest.

16. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama

I know, that is the problem. She wanted a gun that was light and easy to use, so I got her a .38 airweight. She hated it, said it had too much recoil. Sold it, back to drawingboard. Tried several of my guns, friend's guns, etc...she liked two, my 27 and my XD .45. The .45 is too big, so she carries the Glock. Now it is too heavy and big, but she picks one almost identical in size and weight???? I liked the NAA .32 we looked at and she liked the size of it, but she really liked the PX4. There is a gun show this weekend so we are going to go check it out.

17. 78tsubaki

78tsubaki

I encouraged my Wife to pick out her own weapon, then I encouraged her to learn to handle it properly. I do still clean it for her. She ended up with a SIG P239 in 40. She handles it just fine. Tighter groups than I can shoot.
    Her idea! You are a lucky guy too.

18. VanguardMP

VanguardMP

Bottom line is she will have to choose which one she likes. However, I would recommend she consider the Kahr line of pistols also. They are much smaller than the Glocks and are in various calibers. She may think they're a little snappy depending on the caliber and load, but you have a small weapon with a viable round. The PPS maybe another good choice, but I believe the Kahrs are smaller.

My wife enjoys the NAA .32 ACP, but when I had her compare it with the Ruger LCP I just bought, it took me a few days to get it back. The LCP is lighter, just a tad larger (and I mean really just a tad larger) and packs the .380 ACP compared to the .32 ACP.

Normally she carries a Kimber UCII or her G26, but when she's wearing clothes that these won't conceal these two weapons or she doesn't want to carry a larger purse she'll go to the NAA or the LCP.

Good luck.

VMP

19. PATRICE

PATRICE . . . . .

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  20. English

English

The NAA .32 is small, well made, feels good in the hand and is reliable. Unfortunately, it is heavy.

If she want something smaller than the G27 you have to act like a systems analyst and find out what she means by that. Does she mean physically smaller, lighter of having less kick? Is it a copmbination of some of these things?

If it is a combination of all of those things the answer is the KT P32 but you will need to spend time on it to smooth out the sharp edges on the plastic work and she will have to accept that it is not a good fight stopper though it will stop 95% of those you shoot because they would sooner not get shot for whatever she has that they want. That is not a bad percentage!

Next up is the new Diamond Back .380. This is a little heavier, not much bigger, a better fight stopper and, for its weight and size, the felt recoil seems to be much better than the KTP3AT and the Ruger LCP. It seems to be made at least as nicely as the Tuger and much nicer than the KT.

Next up is the KT PF-9. This is a little heavier and bigger again but much smaller and lighter than the G27. It has the advantage of being a proper 9mm but the kick is quite heavy. Same plastic problems as the P32 but not as bad.

Next is the Kahr PM9. It is very close to the PF-9 in all dimensions but is more nicely made and a lot more expensive. I incline to think that the PF-9 is more reliable but Kahr might have sorted out their earlier problems by now. Don't buy used!

Last is the G26. Here, all you gain is reduced recoil but you can just get a conversion barrel and 9mm magazine to try it out. It might be that she just wants more comfortable practice and would then be happy to carry it in .40.

Your real problem is finding out what it is that she is really looking for and getting her to understand the down sides as well as the advantages.

English