Wife wants a dog, I am trying to talk her into...

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by GTIMANiac, Aug 7, 2005.

1. GTIMANiac

GTIMANiac

Well the wife has decided she would like a dog. I would not mind a dog, but damnit I want a working dog. I really miss bird hunting so the first thing that comes to mind is either getting a started or finished dog. First choice would be a German Short Hair followed by and English Springer, English Pointer or Brittany.

Anyone know how well these breeds do with children? I have a 2 1/2 yr old and a 14 yr old. My lot is about a quarter acre and already have dog doors as the previous owner had one.

2. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

I hear ya on the working dog thing. Except where I live now, a hunting dog, As much as I love them, and love hunting, wouldn't do me any good. A protection dog would. I want a good doberman to keep people out of my yard when I'm not here.

Brittanys are good with children if raised with them from what I hear. But they are HYPER. My next door neighbors had one for a little while. He was a real nice dog. Hyper, but VERY friendly.

www.dogbreedinfo.com will tell you alot of what you need to know about dogs.

I don't have much experience with the Springers or pointers. Although a friend of mine used to have a German short hair. I don't know how good it was, but I know he hunted with it for a few years, so it can't be all bad.

;g

;8 ;I

3. DEUCE-DOBE

DEUCE-DOBE Landshark&Sis'

Every dog is different, regardless the breed. Go to a well respected breeder who breeds for temperment, job intent (working ability), genetic health, etc. etc. See the Doberman Pinscher Thread here for information on what a good breeder (of ANY dog) should do. Its on one of the first couple pages, I believe. A SOLID breeder is the safest answer to worries about dogs and kids. Seriously. You get what you pay for.

There are alot of GREAT pound mutts out there... going to a good breeder will be your best guarantee that the dog is even tempered, it won't be a crap shoot.

4. GTIMANiac

GTIMANiac

We have spoken to a few breeders this week. There is one in Washington that has a year old GSP that is bird trained, and great with kids. Waiting for him to email us some video.

[​IMG]

5. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

Cool. Sounds like you have a good one picked out. As you already know, be sure the hound ain't gun shy.

;g

;8 ;I

6. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

Both of my GSD's are great with kids. I don't think twice about letting my daughters bring their friends in the fence, even when I'm not around, and one is a 93 lb. male. My girls can tug, pull, ride, etc. - anything they want, and the dogs take it all while wagging their tails.

But bring a cat or another dog around, and it's a WHOLE different story.