Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Navy Veteran
5,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many times I have told my wife to not store items, pots and pans in the oven, for this very reason. We had a dinner yesterday for two of our son's families, and she was working away in the kitchen. I was in my office hiding, when I heard her talking, and coming my way. When I turned to talk, I noticed the smoke following her down the hallway. What a mess. Don't do this. After the oven cooled, I removed everything that I could, racks, and bottom metal cover above the burner. I took everything outside to the patio table. It was a matter of scraping everying off, of the wire shelves, then the pooling was on the bottom cover. I Googled what can help, the folks there talked about how common this was with plastic today, in ovens, making excuses for females and their busy schedules, making this mistake. BS, use your dam head, and realize wth you are doing. I finally got everything cleaned up today, a razor blade scraper really works well lossening the pools of plastic. A residue of sticking film was still on the cover, so I cleaned and scrubbed with a commercial cleaner. Today we reinstalled everything, and turned oven on. It smoked like hell again, more fans to flow outside, you just can't get all the residue off. It was advised to run your oven on the Cleaning Cycle to burn everything off. Several hours, but it seemed to do the trick. Just now, I noticed my wife cleaning everying like she just got a new bra. She wanted to buy a new stove, but I told her, while cleaning, that I just didn't want to talk about it. You all should talk to your wives about this, and try to avoid what I went through. I thought about making a sign and posting about stove, I even told my daughter in laws to make a sign for themselves. They both told me they don't store items in the oven. Good for them. My rant for the day.

·
Registered
43,624 Posts
But at least it smells really good.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
That happened to us once. I was at work and the wife called...she was in a hurry and turned the wrong knob. Plastic cutting board made quite the mess. Warp 9 all the way home, fire department was there. Had big fans clearing out the smoke. No rant....no rave...bought a new stove. I was glad there was no other damage.

·
Registered
8,936 Posts
Bet that smelled bad.
Never understood storing stuff in the oven.
My mom once put a pot on the burner turned it on then forgot to put anything in the pot. Welded that sucker right to the coils. No dementia just about 40 and distracted by...whatever.
Of course, I reached in the oven and pulled out some food that had been reheating at 350 and set it on the rangetop. Would have hurt a lot less if I'd remembered to use a potholder.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
We all make mistakes...

Just bought an induction stove a few months ago for the kitchen remodel. Best stove we've ever had. There are different sized rings on the stovetop for pan size, but you can use a smaller pan on the large ring and the stove adjusts for it. If you take the pan off and forget to turn it off...turns itself off. Best part is the stovetop doesn't get blazing hot...just the temp of the food your cooking, and even if you touch the top...not hot enough to burn you.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Poo Poo happens!
Best lessons are learned with a bit of pain or shame attached to them.

Reactions: LEO/Dad

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Well sir i know you’re irritated but that was a damn funny story. I read it to my wife and she said “well i don’t do that” but she did think it was funny. I think i’d a bought another stove though.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Self cleaning oven, right?

Unplug smoke detectors, crank it up to 500, shut door. All the plastic should be gone in an hour or two.

People create too much work for themselves, I swear.

:)

(I probably wouldn’t really do that if I were you).

Reactions: Gonzoso and LEO/Dad

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
the folks there talked about how common this was with plastic today, in ovens, making excuses for females and their busy schedules, making this mistake.
Women cook? Who knew!

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Consider yourself lucky. My wife walked through the kitchen one day and jumped back and said "WTF is that thing?" I explained to her "That's a stove dear. People use it to cook with." The bewildered look on her face reminded me I'd never have to worry about her turning it on. I do all the cooking. That way I get to decide what's for supper.

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Never ever hide your stash of weed in the oven.
I’ve had several renters do just that. And worse. Pot is always in plastic so that really sucks. Burning hard drugs and paraphernalia turns the apartment into a toxic mess.

On the good side, it was always a great way to get them to basically evict themselves. They split before I had the cops, fire department or health department investigate.

·
Back to work...
2,898 Posts
In our home, my wife seems to always forget to turn the oven off after taking stuff out for dinner. I'm always the one walking by, seeing the indicator lights on, seeing the oven is on, and asking if she's still using it. She says no, I turn it off.

This has only started to happen in the last couple of years or so. I think it's weird. It's every single time she uses the oven.

Because I think it's a fire hazard, I used to get upset about it. Nowadays I just check the oven before I leave the kitchen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner
14,544 Posts
Self cleaning oven, right?

Unplug smoke detectors, crank it up to 500, shut door. All the plastic should be gone in an hour or two.

People create too much work for themselves, I swear.

:)

(I probably wouldn’t really do that if I were you).
his wife had a self cleaning oven.......................HIM

Reactions: Sgt127
1 - 20 of 48 Posts