Wife is having hip replacement---a question about being under.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by volky, Aug 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. volky

volky NRA Member Millennium Member

I've had several and have always had general anesthesia. She is having one hip replaced and they're talking about a spinal and some low dose to just make her unaware of what's going on. She's afraid that she will not be completely out, and hear or see whats going on. So has anyone experienced being under this way? Were you aware of what was happening around you? Shes really nervous about this.

Thanks in advance.

Dr. Bill likes this.
  2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

all I remember was "give him"--------
    woke up with a new hip.

I was told I had spinal.

they said you won't be able to move your legs until it wears off

I woke up couldn't move the legs so I had a spinal.

Short time later they started moving.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    LEO/Dad and Dr. Bill like this.

3. Patchman

Patchman Florist

No experience or even know of anyone who went under like this. Just wanted to send some prayers your wife's way and hope for her full recovery and no longer living with pain.

Dr. Bill and LASTRESORT20 like this.
  4. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

I've never made it past 7... "Count backwards from 10..."

I had a boxers fracture fixed and pinned back together under similar anesthesia... Was exactly the same experience as my back surgery under general anesthesia...also the same as my wisdom teeth which was somewhere in between (halcyon and gas?).

I think the differences are subtle to the end user, but drastic to the administrator. If the Doc is comfortable with this protocol and has had success with it, I think that speaks to the efficacy.

And Patchman has a valid point... Thoughts and prayers for a speedy and complete recovery. I focused like a laser on my wife's broken femur and subsequent healing, therapy, and eventual surgery to remove the hardware required to get her better. In reflection I wonder if I was as supportive and caring as I was 110% all over every detail. She never complained, but if I could get a do over I think I would focus more on the patient and less on the procedures. Just make sure she is happy and healthy and the rest sorts itself out.

5. Vegas Girl

Vegas Girl

Spinal anesthesia: Your caregiver will inject medicine through the needle. You will be awake during surgery but may be given medicine in your IV so that you are sleepy. Your lower body will be numb and you will not be able to move your legs when the medicine starts to work. You will be able move your legs in 1 to 4 hours when the medicine wears off. Please post update about how she's doing.

Dr. Bill and nursetim like this.
  6. Bruce M

Bruce M

No matter what they use I hope she is comfortable, pain free and she heals fast. My suggestion would be to mention to the physician she is anxious about the type of anesthesia - I am guessing they will help reduce or concern or perhaps give her something to reduce the anxiety.

Dr. Bill and nursetim like this.
  7. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

Versed is a wonderful drug.

8. Cav_Scout

Cav_Scout

You can simply question the gas passer and make it clear you prefer to be OUT.
    If you are healthy enough . . . . he will comply.
    know of two people the were "on the fringe" out and both didn't have anything
    good to say. In fact one actually was awake enough she couldn't feel anything but
    started yelling when she heard the bone being cut ! no thanks !
    I've been out 5 times soon to be 6 . . . .hear, see, and speak no evil is my preferred travel.

MB-G26 likes this.
  9. OGW

OGW SAF

Best wishes, OP. I hope your wife's replacement is via the anterior method.

10. Vegas Girl

Vegas Girl

As is Diprivan (Propofol)...when used in a monitored setting....NOT in the home(Michael Jackson)

huskerbuttons likes this.
  11. 2bgop

2bgop

If she has a concern like that, she should discuss it with her surgical team.

Bruce M, nursetim and SRS like this.
  12. SRS

SRS

This. I'd also suggest doing this well in advance of the surgery. In my limited surgeries, I've met the anesthesiologist the day of, and I wouldn't want to be in a position to tell the doctor I wanted general rather than the planned spinal the day of. It could change planning and affect the immediate recovery plan. And nobody wants that stress.

In any case, good luck! Everyone who I've know who has had a hip replaced is pleased with the surgery.

13. njl

njl Crusty Member

I can't imagine being at all awake for something as major as hip replacement. I've done that for minor oral surgery when getting knocked out wasn't an option, and for having my chin put back together after splitting it open to the bone in a bad fall. In that one, I could hear the doctors talking and could feel the stitches (took 50), but they didn't hurt. It just felt like someone kept tugging on my face. I've also had stitches with nothing for the pain. They had to strap my arm to a board for that one :)

14. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

I would go with the anesthetic with which your surgeon is most comfortable. What is more important is that you select the right procedure. While I am but a pilot, my family is in health care. Without question the hip replacement surgery technique with the best outcomes and the quickest recovery is the Anterior approach using the Hana Chair.

If your surgeon is planning anything else, get a new surgeon because yours is behind the times.

ETA: The plethora of hip replacement surgeries:
    http://bonesmart.org/hip/hip-replacement-approaches/

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  15. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

We use that a lot on intubated pt's when we transfer from one hospital to another.

16. nursetim

nursetim

Ah yes, milk of amnesia, wonderful stuff. Made with soy bean oil.

17. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill

I remember having my tonsils out at age 5. They used ether! I can still see the doctor bending over and putting the mask over my face. I vomited blood for 2 days, but the hospital introduced me to jello, which I thought was great.

18. faceplant

faceplant

My Dr and anesthesiologist suggested this just before I had my below knee amputation. Kinda freaky but I trusted them. Wished it had been discussed earlier. Last thing I remembered was sitting on edge of bed while she started spinal.
    ETA didn't feel a thing. YMMV

19. r3dot

r3dot

Does she have a moderate-high risk factor for anesthesia? An epidural will negate anything she feels. They may choose a fentanyl//versed mix with has an amnesia effect, so she'll be sleepy and not remember anything.

20. r3dot

r3dot

And it is awful for that. Movement/bumps lead to the patients fighting. Great drug if they're in a hospital bed, not so much in a moving ambulance.