Wife is contemplating

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Ersatz, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Ersatz

Ersatz

The wife has quite a bit of experience in investigations involving child abuse. She's growing fairly tired of the job, but has decided that she's a junky for that kind of work. She recently dropped a bomb and mentioned taking criminology college courses. She's already got a masters degree in social work.

I suggested she might like being an in-office investigator for the state prosecutor's office. She surprised me again and said the word "cop." She doesn't seem particularly wedded to the cop idea, she just likes investigative work and understands cop is pre-req for detective.

Any of you have some "investigativey" job ideas I can toss at her?

2. metal

metal

http://www.perverted-justice.com doubt they pay but she could keep her job and get misc. perverts off the street. Win, Win.

3. RangemasterP226

RangemasterP226

Current child abuse detective here. Job is tough but rewarding.....also did 10 years in patrol before getting here. My advice to anyone: You have to love patrol if you want to be a cop, maybe you will be a detective one day, but you never know. Ya gotta love the basic job, where the rubber meets the road: Patrol.

4. spdski

spdski NRA Life Member CLM

5. blueiron

blueiron

Many states have liquor investigations, racing investigations, gaming investigations, building contractor investigations, etc.

6. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Tell her not to waste her time taking CJ classes. A master's degree should be more than enough education.

7. blueiron

blueiron

The only criminal justice classes I can recommend are the constitutional law and similar classes.

A local community college here offers sectional criminal investigation classes for LE only which result in a certificate program and are accepted by local agencies as training for open positions. They do not guarantee a slot during testing, but you are not likely to get the posting unless you have the certificate or previous experience in that position.

8. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Tons of state and federal agencies that start you off as an investigator. Go to your state website and look up all the enforcement agencies. It's amazing what's out there and what they do. Some states have their own version of the FBI and CA has their own DEA (BNE). Just do the homework.

9. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Working. AGAIN!

In which state do you live?

Here we have District Attorney investigators
    Attorney General investigators
    ABC agents
    and other sundry units.

10. ropin4gold

ropin4gold

Dare I suggest, working for the department of children's services? As a case manager or supervisor. Here in TN they do some investigations and work hand in hand with the local/ state investigators and the district attorneys office.

11. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

DA investigator slots are hard to get here as they require so many years of LE investigative experience before you can qualify to apply. They usually take retired detectives and people don't leave those gigs.