Wife is Changing Her Mind

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by John_AZ, Jun 26, 2020.

1. John_AZ

John_AZ

The past couple months have really had an effect on my wife and I am really shocked.

She was born and raised here in the Phoenix area. Used to houses on top of each other and a bigger city area. She came with me when I was in the service when we got married and we were in Utah for a bit, but on base housing. She loved Utah but wanted to come back to Phoenix to be with her parents (only child, older parents).

We were talking tonight while watching a movie and the house had a huge, open property with green grass. She knows my dream is to have some property to build a range and be able to hike about my own place. But the past few months have gotten to her. She told me she has been thinking almost constantly about where we can move to when I retire. Have some land, grow our own food and can stuff, have chickens and fresh eggs. I am shocked. She doesn’t like the cold, but she threw out ideas of Oregon, Idaho and Utah. I mentioned Wyoming. Neither of us know much about the places, but I spent a lot of summers in Oregon as a kid.

She wants to start taking vacations to the places to scope out areas and get a feel for the places.

Funny. We’ve been together a while (not as long as some of you guys here), but she still finds a way to shock me

PatinAz, Tirian2530, n2g and 32 others like this.
  2. NewYorker

NewYorker

Well Id personally cross off Oregon. The others would be fine, but also cold.

n2g, Pistol Pap, rock_castle and 18 others like this.

3. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

I want to move somewhere free of antifa and idiots who think defunding the police is a good idea

Pepiot, n2g, Eddy Current and 18 others like this.
  4. naughtymoose

naughtymoose

Eliminate Utah-the underlying culture there is real and different.

5. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Lots of good choices up that way. Don't forget to check into Idaho. I don't know anything about their taxes and property prices but check into all that.
    A buddy retired to AL to be near his only son. He also learned that AL has low property tax rates and income tax, but not on govt pensions. He and his wife retired from local govt jobs so they are loving it there.

6. railfancwb

railfancwb

Some of the higher elevations in Wyoming and Montana have two seasons - winter and July 4.

So visit places of increasing interest throughout at least one year.

n2g, TBO, AddAGlock and 7 others like this.
  7. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A

Good to hear! Mine dislikes people as much as I do so it was never an argument about getting land

Butch_Coolidge and John_AZ like this.
  8. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Spent a small amount of time in SLC. It's different. I did notice the restaurants there all close at 8pm and it's very "white bread" but neat and clean.

Duramaxsky likes this.
  9. HanKill

HanKill

Why leave AZ? There's plenty of nice open land up north...

cbetts1, Dr. Leaky, IAhunter and 4 others like this.
  10. railfancwb

railfancwb

Mountain areas in East Tennessee might have a lot to offer. Smoky Mountains National Park. University of Tennessee football and basketball if college sports appeal. NASCAR in Bristol. Hunting and fishing. University and its medical school in Johnson City. Four seasons. No income tax on earned income or pensions. No individual personal property tax. Relatively high sales tax but generally rather low real estate tax.

11. John_AZ

John_AZ

We lived there for 3 years. Provo was a little... different. But up north near Idaho was good. I get along well with the “brethren” so to say.

that was one thing she said tonight, is how much she’s starting to dislike people. It’s one of the things she’s always harped to me about is my dislike. She’s coming around

We didn’t mind that too much. We’re not much of “on the town” types. A lot of local places as the community tends to stay local

snowbird.40 and BOOSTED12A like this.
  12. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

I used to think the further north you go, the more likely you will get away from the crazies. Then Minneapolis happened.

13. Intolerant

Intolerant

Maybe because its going to be flipped soon.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Trademark, Bus007 and railfancwb like this.
  14. railfancwb

railfancwb

And several national parks. And Ruger factory in Prescott.

treg and varget like this.
  15. railfancwb

railfancwb

Every state is at risk of that. People get fed up and leave the Democrat states then vote for the same stuff which made them leave the previous home.

rock_castle, JDubbs316, TBO and 22 others like this.
  16. Intolerant

Intolerant

You Sir, are 100% CORRECT!

17. nursetim

nursetim

My wife is interested in Florida. They just passed independence practice for PCP NPs. No state income tax, firearms laws are OK, not as good as AZ. Beach is not important to us, lakes are more our style anyway.

Oh, I hate snow. But this living in a convection oven is the large suckage. But the humidity of Florida is fierce.

18. Bus007

Bus007

We are looking at Utah or going back to Idaho for that reason. I joined the USAF to leave Cali after being there for 2 years. Unfortunately Arizona is starting to feel like Cali. The wife wants to stay in a western state. I went to high school in Tennessee and would go back in a heart beat, the wife, not so much. We live west of the 303 in Surprise. When i moved to Surprise the population was 30k, its over 150k now and rising.

19. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

And nobody mentioned Western Pennsylvania? It really is TWO states once you get past Harrisburg and out towards Ohio.
    Been here 20 years. Low taxes. Good place to retire IMPO. Yes, we get an occasional tornado and an occasional 3-feet of snow. Fall here is amazing...

rugercat78, PennsWoods, x2501 and 5 others like this.
  20. slym2none

slym2none Ain't got the Wu Flu.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why that happens, and so often. It boggles the mind.

rock_castle, JDubbs316, treg and 3 others like this.