close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

wierdest places you've taken a deer.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by paulito, Nov 12, 2002.

1. paulito

paulito

i was just wanting to hear some stories of the wierdest places you hunters have taken deer. i know this guy who shot one at work. he worked for a local golf course and they were having problems with bucks fighting and tearing up some fairways. his supervisor gave him permission to shoot one if he had a chance. so one day just before dark he set up in the woods where he'd been watching deer move almost every day for the past four years that he worked there and he got one. a nice eight pointer. now that the rut is coming pretty fast here, he's going to ask for permission again. i am too. it wouldn't hurt to ask.

paulito

2. commander

commander

In a dry wash about 5 miles northeast of Palm Springs, CA. Yes, deer do live in the desert or at least travel through it.
    What made it weird was we were sighting in our rifles before going up on the mountain when 3 or 4 does and a buck just happened by to see what all the noise was I guess.

Another time a buck was standing 20 yards from our campsite when we came back from a very long, unproductive day in the higher elevations just north of Mammoth, CA.

3. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

weirdest place = on the road

weapon = vehicle (2 times now)

;)

4. forthehalibut

forthehalibut

Weirdest place I have taken a deer was to the movie "U-571." She preferred the outdoor theater.;f

5. Guest

Took a deer out the bathroom window of my friends hunting camp, in my union suit, when I got up to take a whiz. Standing there blinking and doing my business. Had slept in until 6:30 due to a long night of cards. Looked out the window and theres a 6 pointer about 30 feet away nibbling grass near the driveway. Snuck into the other room, grabbed my rifle, and slooowwwly eased up the window. BOOM, dropped him dead and woke everyone right up. They were going to lynch me until they saw the deer.

6. hpg

hpg

This is a true story, I swear, I have a witness. 2 years ago,in November 2000. On Saturday afternoon, opening day of gun season, my son and I were headed home after seeing nothing all day. 3 deer come out of the woods on my right. 2 of them continue on out in front of the truck(smart one stays to the side and watches). I hit both of them at the same time, only doing 25mph thank goodness. Within 7 minutes, both had expired and we had them in the back of the truck headed home. It only cracked the grill of the truck. I swear this is true. hpg

5 point buck and yearling doe.:cool:

7. MrMunster

MrMunster

I took one to a car wash once. Figured I'd clean the mud off of my SUV on the way home.

Should have seen the look on the attendant's face when he went to do the 'courtesy' vacuuming in the back seat. Priceless.

8. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

I had permission to hunt on some private land that was partially located within the city limits of a nearby town. There was 62 acres total, 12 were within "city limits". There was no city ordinancve against hunting, but there was one that prohibited disharging a firearm... but nothing against bow & arrow. I could hunt the whole 62 acres for bow season, and 50 acres were OK for gun season. Opening day of gun season in '97, I saw 42 deer enter that land on several "deer trails". Prior to me, nobody had hunted that land for years. The land to the south and west was hunted hard, and the deer headed for this "sanctuary", unaware I was waiting. I killed seven very nice deer there in three seasons, and I could see the "Golden Arches" of the town's McDonalds restaurant from my tree-stand. I'd walk over there for lunch on occasion. One of my bow stands was only 50 yds from the back end of the town's bowling alley, and I could hear the pins being knocked down while I hunted.

The land has since been sold by it's non hunting owner, and the new owners are building on it, so I lost the best spot I've ever had. :(

9. paulito

paulito

The land has since been sold by it's non hunting owner, and the new owners are building on it, so I lost the best spot I've ever had. :( [/B][/QUOTE]
    ~~~~~
    wow, that's amazing! i'm still looking for that special spot of my own. i thought i was doing good last year when i saw 13 at one time. i was patient and took the biggest deer i could spot, but man! 42 deer!!! wow, that's incredible!

paulito

10. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

~~~~~
    wow, that's amazing! i'm still looking for that special spot of my own. i thought i was doing good last year when i saw 13 at one time. i was patient and took the biggest deer i could spot, but man! 42 deer!!! wow, that's incredible!

paulito [/B][/QUOTE]

It was deer hunting heaven. The guy who owned it had a small business on it. One Saturday morning, he was in his office, and accidently locked his keys inside. I own a locksmith business, and he was a good customer. He called for help, and I had just gotten in from bow hunting, and I rushed right over wearing my camo. He asked if I was a deer hunter. Duh. He said there was deer all over his property, and I was welcome to hunt back there. He was right on the city limits line of a town of 1,200. I had no idea he owned 62 acres. He had just bought the 40 acre parcel behind the 22 acres he already owned. It had not been hunted on for many years. All the surrounding land on three sides was hunted very heavily (the 4th side was the city), and deer drives were used a lot on the adjoining property. The 40 acres he had just bought was about 50% swamp, and there was an "island" in the middle, with a huge white pine tree. I built a permanent stand, about 25' up in that pine. I could see several hundred yards in all directions. When the neighbors started their deer drives, all the deer headed right for that swamp. They'd come in herds of 10-15 at once, and hunker down in the swamp where the drivers couldn't pursue them. After I figured out where the deer were traveling, and where they were likely to come from, I put up several other stands, in smaller trees, closer to the "action", so I could hunt up close with a handgun. WHAT A SWEET SET-UP!!!

But.....:( :( :( the guy wasn't quite an honest law-abiding person, and was convicted of some white collar fraud type felonies, and is now in prison. He had filed bankruptcy before being busted, and the land was auctioned off. The new owners (some land developer corporation from out of town) intends to fill in the swampy areas, and build on it. But for a few years, I was set.

11. ClonaKilty

ClonaKilty

Ugggh! I have fantasies about this! Deer infest my golf course -- even to the point where by ball landed next to a lazy doe. I mean, virtually in the crook of her foreleg. She saw the ball, didn't care. Saw me coming, didn't care. I stood over her with my pitching wedge, didn't care. I made noise and slammed the club on the ground. No reaction.

Finally I just pulled the ball out from near her (temporary obstruction), and swung away. I might as well have been the invisible and scent-less man to her.

Cocky bastards! Ever since I've dreamed of sneaking in at night and bowhunting...but that would be illegal...

12. pozguy

pozguy

Saw this while golfing in Canada.

13. TreeTrooper

TreeTrooper Shhhhh...

Took a deer out of a porta-crapper one time. Some wise-acre had posed a buck on the john. Sunglasses, newspaper and all. The people fishing at the lake where the porta-crapper was sitting were less than amused...

14. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

I've got 2 spots that I bow "hunt" whitetails at. Both are in residential areas. So it gets tricky sometimes as they run next door or 2 doors down and die in the flower beds and on front lawns.
    My stand at the one house is right behind the pool and hot tub. But the deer love to cut through the back yard naturally and even more so when I start hanging the feeder at the other end of the yard.
    I've taken 12 deer out of the yard in the last 2 seasons. A buddy has taken another 10. There's still a mess of them there too.

I just started "hunting" the other spot this year. My stand there is right over the goldfish pond. Again, there is a natural trail going right through the property from a wooded area behind the houses to a couple of houses that feed the deer.:( The owners hate the deer as they have been eating every plant and shrub that you can imagine.
    Took 6 out of there this year. Including a very respectable 8 pt.

15. mad_dog30

mad_dog30 "Invictus"

When I was in High School living in Southern MD, we lived across the rode from NAS Pax River. I came out of the house one day all geared up to go hunting. I looked across the road and saw an 8 pointer with his Antlers hung up in the fence.. There were Marines on the other side of the fence and a CO on this side. The CO waved me over and asked if I wanted to fill a tag quick & easy. Easiest shot I've ever taken..

16. lomfs24

lomfs24

That's not weird. There are more deer killed by cars in a year than by hunters.

I was heading to work one morning before daylight, I went to pass a vehicle on a two lane road, just as I got even with the other car a doe jumped out in front of his rig. I saw the deer coming and quickly calculated that if I kept my foot in it I would miss the deer but if I stomped on the brakes it would give her time to get in front of me. I'll bet if I got out and looked there would have been a stripe of deer snot down the side of my truck. But I didn't hit her. I don't think the other guy hit her either.