close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wierdest pet?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by W Turner, Aug 9, 2004.

1. W Turner

W Turner

I have had a long time fascination with reptiles, snakes in particular, but some people find this creepy or odd. Since moving out of my parents house, I have continually had at least one reptile in addition to the usual dogs, cats, etc.

Currently I am down to a single 4.5 feet long Califonrnia Kingsnake.

In the past I have owned...

Ball python
    Red-tailed python
    Mexican black kingsnake
    Leopard geckos
    2 other Cali kingsnakes
    Tokay Gecko

I have been looking at getting a Jungle Carpet Python for the past year or so, I have just been waiting until I have the room to build a nice enclosure.

What is the weirdest pet you have ever had?

Bull

2. Medpilot 2

Medpilot 2 Smkumifyagotum

Critter Corner? When did this happen?

Anyway, when I was a kid, my dad brought home a Guenon Vervet Monkey.

We only had it a few months because my Mom got tired of changing it's diaper all the time. I'm sure after a while it would have been potty trained, but it started to become too much work to care for. Believe me, it's not like caring a dog, it requires a way more attention.

3. blasto

blasto 7 of 9 (lives)

[​IMG]

4. Cowgunner

Cowgunner

I had a Chinese box Turtle for a few years. After he died I had a pair of Three-toed Box turtles. The male Three-toed was the smartest animal I've ever had.

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Not that I have owned any of these little heathens, but chinchillas, ferrets and potbellied pigs are all pretty weird.

6. elsolo

elsolo

I just recently sold my Jungle Carpet Python, it was from VPI, great bloodlines.

Currently at home:

Pair of Jungle carpet / Diamond python hybrids
    and a lonely Cranwell frog, albino (pac man frog)

Used to have:

Breeding pair of red tail boas
    Jungle carpet python
    albino corn snake born during Reagan's presidency, (snake died this year)
    Green and black pac man frog
    breeding pair of African pygmy hegehogs (good money makers first two years)
    Chocolate lab
    breeding pair of Tokay geckos
    and cages full of breeding mice and rats to feed the snakes

7. Spen84107

Spen84107

Probably the "weirdest" pet I've ever owned was a salamander. Those things stink, I would NOT recommend one.

It's actually a tie with pigeons. Don't ask me how I got that crazy idea. ;f I can't even remember how I got my parents to agree with it, but I had homing pigeons, that I actually thought I'd be able to train at 14 years old. ;g

8. joker1

joker1

I had a pet leech for a while in college. Never got around to feeding it though.....

9. Grim Jackal

Grim Jackal Secret Squirrel

I had a few scorpions growing up, very interesting and almost maintenance free. I just like to observe animals/bugs/reptiles, etc. that I might not other wise be able to observe. Of course I've had the usuall pets also, dogs, cats, snakes (Rosy Boa, Parrots, love birds, lizards, salamander, african tree frog, african swimming frog, cichlids (Fish). I know I'm forgetting something, but you get the point.

10. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

My Wife has a pet Artic/silver cross fox. Her Dad used to breed them and same 'ol story. Fox has litter, one of 'em doesn't look like it's going to make it, Dad says "sure, if you can nurse her back to health you can have her as a pet" not expecting it to live through the night, 11 (yes, 11) years later fox has outlived all of it's brothers and sisters... you know that old walnut...;f

11. Egyas

Egyas Troll Hater

For me, it was either the 6 ferrets, or the (all at one time) 2 Ball pythons, 1 Corn Snake, and 1 Burmese Python.

Feeding time was a blast! ;)

12. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Hah! I used to have you beat (on ferrets at least) until I had to have two of my fuzzies put to sleep (insulimia) I had 8!! Now I only have 6! But Roscoe and Daisy are waiting on the Rainbow Bridge!!:)

13. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

In high school, a friend had a TAME raccoon. He spent his days in the backyard on a dog run. When he wanted in the house he would knock on the window and wait to be let in. While inside, he used the toilet. When he wanted back out, he went back to the window and knocked. He was the coolest little guy.

14. ms_iron

ms_iron

Love all critters and I got some little 'peeney pods'. They are smart as whip, affectionate and paper trained. They are very active during the night!!!

Buford, Marching Man and Zeus are my sweet boys. I've had many cross the bridge too, from insulimoma.

This is Buford

[​IMG]

15. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

I've only ever had a dog and a cat. But I knew somebody who had a baby squirrel for a few days, untill it just all of a sudden keeled over and died in the middle of the night.

;g

16. 16vmkII

16vmkII Whipped

A guy I went to college with claimed he had an alligator in his basement when he was growing up. I trust the guy, but it seems a little unrealistic to me.

17. Spen84107

Spen84107

I watched an episode of animal cops in which they confiscated alligators from some guys basement..... Coincidence? ;f

18. racerkvn

racerkvn

I've got 2 cats, 2 pugs, 2 scorpions, 3 fish tanks(30 gal. bow front,55 gal., and a 150 gal.)with cichlids, and 2 gold fish that the oscar won't eat!!

The scorpions are by far the weirdest, of them all!! They are Brown Bark Scorpions, native to the area. And let me tell you they pack one hell-uv-a punch!!!! Got popped by accident a while back, good lord...didn't hurt per-say, but burned like you wouldn't beleive...
    FOR HOURS!!!!! I thought when I got them, you know I'd like to get stung by him once, just to see what it would be like, well I didn't plan on getting stung that day!!! Then after I got stung, I bought a book on how to care for them, well,well,well, wouldn't you know it, the Brown bark Scorpions have a toxicity level that is 4 out of the highest possible 5!!!!!! they are neat though, especially under a black light.

Everyone that comes over says, "I want to see the scorpions", then one MIGHT show its self, and then there like "ok thats enough, Im leaving now". hahahahaha Good way to get rid of company you don't want.

19. elsolo

elsolo

Thats when you look under the couch, behind the TV, etc while saying
    "Here pinchy pinchy pinchy"
    when the guest asks what you are doing, tell them
    "The really big one is around here somewhere"

that should get them out of the house.

20. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

I had a pair of flying squirrels that were absolutely GREAT pets.