Glock Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I realize the rational for the GAP Glocks, and own all three frame sizes. I do wish however that more rounds could be carried in each pistol. I have also heard this remark from other "pistoleers." I wonder if Glock might consider rather than an "SF" pistol design - a "WF" or Wide Frame version for their GAP pistols.

Perhaps that frame could just be widened enough to carry an additional 2 or 3 rounds in each of the frame sizes. The grip is certainly narrow enough from front to back with that stubby 45 GAP round, and I think the full potential of that innovative round could be utilized with a slightly wider - hence larger magazine capacity. Any comments? Thanks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The whole reasoning behind the GAP pistols was to get a .45 in the same frame size as the 9mm/40 guns. Widening the frame would be the same as making it longer, so why not just get the acp version. I hope the new S model makes them create a gap gun with the exact same dimensions as the 9mm/40 guns.

·
Combat Diver
3,726 Posts
You would basically have G 21, G 30 G 36 series in a different cartridge. Glock's purpose for the round and the gun was to compete against the 40 S&W, ergo the thinner grips.

Why not buy a mag extension?

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes - I do realize all of what you all stated. However the wider framed GAP's would still utilize a shorter (front to rear) grip than the 45ACP - hence less of a circumference.

Think its a pity that such a "great", and efficient cartridge has only three current pistol models that utilize it! Yes, Springfield and Para-Ord once made 45GAP pistols, but no more. Make three new models as I have stated, and see if they sell. I'm sure Glock can afford the financial risk. Cheers.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Possibly IO, possibly! Cheers.

·
Combat Diver
3,726 Posts
Yes - I do realize all of what you all stated. However the wider framed GAP's would still utilize a shorter (front to rear) grip than the 45ACP - hence less of a circumference.

Think its a pity that such a "great", and efficient cartridge has only three current pistol models that utilize it! Yes, Springfield and Para-Ord once made 45GAP pistols, but no more. Make three new models as I have stated, and see if they sell. I'm sure Glock can afford the financial risk. Cheers.
So you want them to assume the cost to retool and redie to build a 7th frame size for a gun in a caliber that they have to give away to Police departments so you don't have to carry a spare mag? :supergrin:

I am thinking not in this lifetime. :faint:

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I am thinking in a more positive light, and want to expand the capabilities of a fine pistol round to a larger weapon. More people may purchase the GAP guns if they carried more ammo, not just for me to not have to carry an extra mag.

I am amazed that my Para 10-45 can hold 10 45ACP rounds, at roughly the same size as Glock's G39. And that can only carry six rounds of a shorter cartridge? But thanks for your comment, FE. And you can let it go now - you have made your point. And I feel like I have fully explained my position. Cheers.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can get somewhat heated in these debates! Perhaps I am a frustrated firearms designer,or a perfectionist. I look at many designs (not just guns) and think, "it would be perfect if they just..." Thanks for your comments.

My latest idea is to have Glock compete with Springfield Armory's XDS by reducing the length of the G36 barrel/slide to that of the other Glock sub-compacts.

And producing (the easy part), a five shot 45ACP magazine by adding a flat mag plate instead of the extension that's on there now. The thin frame is already there. Comments on my G36S?
I meant no harm by my statement and apologize if it was taken that way. I will also add that if you are successful, I will buy one.

·
Combat Diver
3,726 Posts
I can get somewhat heated in these debates! Perhaps I am a frustrated firearms designer,or a perfectionist. I look at many designs (not just guns) and think, "it would be perfect if they just..." Thanks for your comments.

My latest idea is to have Glock compete with Springfield Armory's XDS by reducing the length of the G36 barrel/slide to that of the other Glock sub-compacts.

And producing (the easy part), a five shot 45ACP magazine by adding a flat mag plate instead of the extension that's on there now. The thin frame is already there. Comments on my G36S?
I work pro Bono at my LGS. I have sold quite a few of the springers, but I also see a lot of them for sale used. That normally means they did not live up to an expectation. I think in this case recoil is an issue. I carried a G 36 as an EDC for 4 years. Your version would open up some possibilities. Again, I would buy one.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting comments. I have not yet seen a used XDS at my LGS, but have held a new one - and liked it. My LCP is my "hottest shooter."

I am not a big guy, but snappy recoil does not bother me - it goes with lightweight pistols that fire serious caliber rounds. But then these are not the type of pistols that one shoots through many rounds. Pretty much last ditch, close-in weapons. Cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.