close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

'Wicked' sandwich leads to 'Lockjaw'

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RedTop, Apr 7, 2010.

1. RedTop

RedTop

It ended up being the most expensive sandwich Chad Ettmueller ever ate. And it’s given the 38-year-old Cumming man more attention than he ever wanted.

Ettmueller settled in at the local Which ‘Wich restaurant with his wife and three kids as a way to celebrate his son taking second place in a local talent show.

Starving because he hadn’t eaten all day, Ettmueller ordered his favorite sandwich – one called the “Wicked,” which has five meats and three cheeses.

But, again, Ettmueller said he was hungry, so he ordered it with twice the meat.
    “It was just more than I could handle, clearly,” Ettmueller said.

Clearly.

He opened his mouth and couldn’t even take a bite – Ettmueller’s jaw had dropped opened and then locked up on him.

His children started laughing – they thought he was just joking around, which Ettmueller said would have made sense.

Except that he was in pain and started to feel a little silly.

Ettmueller said he excused himself and walked outside and started punching himself in the jaw in attempts to get it to unlock and close.

“I’m sure people walking around were wondering, ‘What is going on with this guy punching himself?’” Ettmueller said.

Ettmueller’s family realized he wasn’t kidding and took him to urgent care. The doctors there laughed at him, so he went to the ER.

Seven hours later, Ettmueller was still there, jaw hanging open. He then went to Emory University Hospital, and doctors there were able to surgically put it back into place.

The exact problem? Double dislocation of the mandible – something that Ettmueller’s surgeon said happened maybe 30 times a year.

And it’s never as spontaneous as this.

“It’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of in my life, but it’s kind of taken on a life of its own,” Ettmueller told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

OK, well, how did anybody find out about it in the first place?

“My wife, in all honesty, was just about slap happy after about 36 hours, and she sent an e-mail to the Which ‘Wich restaurant and said, ‘You guys won’t believe what happened … ‘”

Ettmueller said the restaurant was “petrified” that a lawsuit was coming. The Dallas-based company’s founder even called him to check in.

“This is genetics. It’s nothing they did wrong. This was a freak accident,” Ettmueller said.

So instead, the corporate offices are trying to have a little fun with it.
    First, they asked Ettmueller to help create a video reenacting the incident.
    Now, they want to rename the sandwich.

The choices are “Lock-jaw,” “Double Dislocator” or “Jaw Wrecker.”

“I didn’t anticipate it getting to this point,” Ettmueller said. “But if you can’t laugh at yourself.”

Now, however, Ettmueller said he just wants to be able to eat a sandwich and move on.

http://www.ajc.com/news/north-fulton/wicked-sandwich-leads-to-440313.html

-------------

Bravo to him for not getting lawsuit happy.

2. theanimal

theanimal

:rofl:I just keep immagining some dude outside punching himself in the jaw.

3. Steve0853

Steve0853

Many years ago, a friend's wife had that exact same thing happen to her.

She had to go to the hospital to get it fixed. She had a reputation as a "big mouth", so it was quite a while before she lived it down.

4. badr1

badr1

I bet......no on 2nd thought nevermind.....no reason to get the thread locked already.:whistling:

5. farley45

farley45

I had a roommate in college come back to the dorms very late with his jaw dislocated. It was actually kind of an odd/scary sight to see.

Jaw was locked all the way back, and he was covered in vomit. Apparently he was power puking and locked his jaw back.

His frat "brothers" dropped him off outside the dorms in that condition.

I put on a pot of coffee and google searched how to re-set a jaw and called my uncle for assistance. I tried to pop his jaw back in place, but I couldn't get it.

So, I had to get him changed and find his insurance/id cards. Grabbed a cup of coffee and my smokes and headed to the ER. We got there around 2-3 AM.

After irritating the nurse at the front desk many times to check on him we finally left the ER at a little after 6 AM. The doc fixed his jaw in 5 minutes, but then my friend just laid down in the bed and went to sleep. Since the nurse wouldn't actually send anyone to see what was going on I had to wait there for him forever.

What made everything worse was the fact that he was incredibly intoxicated.

6. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

pics of sandwich

7. MTPD

MTPD

Isn't the correct medical term for that disease called the"Pelosi Syndrome"? :supergrin:

8. Swerved

Swerved Not panicking

Good to see that there are still people in this world that can have something like that happen and not start pointing fingers at the restaurant while trying to sue them. Most people now days would have had a lawyer before they even got up from the table and would have been trying to sue for $100 million.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Watched that happen to a guy in college. My wife was an R/A at U-Mass. One of the other R/A's required to stay to baby-sit the seniors said this happened to him on occasion.

We all laughed and couldn't believe it.

5 min later, he locks up. We were in shock. He SLAMMED his palm into his chin until it unlocked, then doubled over in tears.

I hope that never happens to me.

10. vafish

vafish

Nahh,

Her jaw doesn't stop flapping.

11. RyanSBHF

RyanSBHF Senior Member

[​IMG]