close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WI State Police Encounter - Protest and After Action Reports

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Riflemanz, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Riflemanz

Riflemanz

2. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

3. RussP

We're moving discussion of this to a new thread. The other one is hopelessly bogged down by misunderstandings.

4. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

I noticed that the woman being interviewed said she didn't want to see a gun at all - period. I wonder how she feels about police, then? She must be really uncomfortable around them.

5. RussP

So, that makes everyone not having an "I carry" sticker what, one of the bad guys?

6. noway

noway

I was thinking that also. If you read between the lines, she was probably not comfortable with civilians with guns :rofl:

kudos for wis opencarry. I wonder if the sheriff or trooper office showed up?

7. RussP

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  8. RussP

On another forum, Protias responded to one part of the news story:
    He also answered the question,
    OT, I don't know that much about scanners, but I think those three are pretty darn good ones. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  9. High Altitude

High Altitude

What is ironic is the one thing that tips the officer (loading and holstering from the trunk) is what is needed to comply with the law.

So by following the law, you make LEO suspicious of you.

10. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Many people are, any cop that has been on the job for more than a few years has had someone tell him how nervous their gun makes them.

11. Dragoon44

Three scanners and a CB radio?

My first thoughts or suspicions would be.

1. burglar
    2. armed robber
    3. Cop wannabe

When I first read that the trooper had contacted the local Sheriff's dept. I thought that was a little overboard. But after reading what he has in his car I no longer think it was.

12. vista461

vista461

That seems pretty normal.:whistling: I wonder if he drives an ex-squad too:supergrin:

13. Milltown

Milltown

No, he actually drives a Hyundai Elantra. I don't care what you have on or in your vehicle. If you drive a Hyundai Elantra you're definitely not trying to impersonate a cop.

14. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

And, quite possibly, others around you in the parking lot. MWAG calls start because someone, well, saw a man-with-a-gun. And if you call it, they will come.
    ;)

Tip of the hat to Hollywood for the assist in continuing to display exaggerated methods of "racking it" which helps other citizens immediately identify evil intent.
    :upeyes:

15. Dragoon44

If you rack it, they will come.

:rofl::rofl:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  16. AZLawDawg

AZLawDawg Oh, Oh, Oh!!

Think again, we caught one out here ( in a Hyundai ) with red and blues, a siren, running code three just to, in his words, "get through traffic".

17. PeteCamp

PeteCamp

Interesting, Dragoon. I have a federally issued Amateur Radio License. In addition to using the radios as a hobby and for emergency communication, I chase tornados as a weather spotter for the NWS. I had another Ham with me one day when we were out observing some severe weather and reporting to the NWS office as they watched the radar. We had several VHF/UHF transceivers and a laptop tied to a NWS radar repeater. Antennas all over my pickup. We also had a video camera, two still cameras, and two pairs of binoculars.

A sheriff's deputy pulled up behind us in the middle of nowhere and accused us of using the radio equipment illegally to plan a bank robbery. The officer declared he was going to confiscate the radios. We followed him to his office and reported by radio to the NWS what was happening. Before we arrived, our county Emergency Manager had phoned someone who got on the phone to the sheriff of the county we were in and raised the roof ... so to speak. When we pulled up, the sheriff went straight to his deputies vehicle. We couldn't hear what was said, but there was a great deal of finger pointing by the sheriff.

The deputy came over and apologized profusely. No harm done. We got both the deputy and the sheriff and gave them the "tour" of how we chase tornados so that communities can have advance warning. Later we came into town and had coffee with them both. Great experience that didn't begin well, but ended with handshakes all around.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  18. AZLawDawg

AZLawDawg Oh, Oh, Oh!!

He thought you guys were planning a bank robbery and then had you follow him back to the office?

:shocked:

19. PeteCamp

PeteCamp

This obviously was not a big-city cop!! We thought it kinda odd too but we were quite a few miles out of town and I don't think he had a cage. He didn't arrest us either, just asked us to follow him into town. He kinda laughed when he said that about the bank robbery. I couldn't imagine him being serious. There wasn't a building within miles of where we were.

I think, after visiting with him later, he just wasn't sure what was going on with all the radios, antennas and other gear and wanted to find out. This was a very small community in W. Texas. Think Mayberry, USA.

20. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Well, because I am going into law enforcement as a career, but also an interest in gun laws here in WI, I am going to refrain from giving my opinion.

Tagged for further reading.