WI/IL legal to hunt w/shotgun w/folding stock?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Tech knight, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Tech knight

Tech knight

I can't find this anywhere. Can I have a 12gauge with a folding stock and legally hunt in WI/IL or any other state?

WI/IL is what I am most concerned about.

2. Maine

Maine

Sounds like it would be too scary for IL.

3. m14guy

m14guy

If shotguns are legal for hunting I doubt a folding stock would make it illegal.

You might check to make sure there is no special law regarding it, but I doubt it.

4. Tech knight

Tech knight

I have searched with google and haven't found anything stating that it is illegal.

5. isp2605

isp2605

It's legal in IL as long as the firearm meets the legal length requirement.

6. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

As a state IL does not have a lot of scary gun rules. You cant have NFA/class 3, but EBRs, hi-cap mags, etc are all legal here. as far as hunting laws go, our are like most other states. The exception being no rifles for deer.

7. vista461

vista461

As long as you meet the length requirements its fine in WI

8. toddmog

toddmog

Not scary laws, but certainly stupid. The FOID card comes to mind as does the 3 day waiting period for a handgun and 1 day wait for a long gun. Did I mention I'm glad I don't live in IL anymore?

9. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

I've always been curious about the shotgun-only hunting restrictions of a few other states. What is the reasoning behind this law?

Can I assume you can own a centerfire rifle in IL......but, just can't hunt with it?

Interested in knowing how the politicians have justified this restriction.

hog

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  10. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Yep, they sure dont make much sense, but what gun laws do? We are actively trying to change things here. With the absence of Daley it looks better. We also have the first Pro-Gun gubernatorial candidate in a long time, and it looks like he is going to win.
    It was always explained to me that the density of houses, and the terrain made it "unsafe". Keep in mind, this is being explained by those who enforce and make the laws, not those of us who use the firearms. You can certainly own any centerfire you want, as long as its non-NFA or full-auto.

11. isp2605

isp2605

When deer hunting was first allowed in IL in the early 1970s the thought was slugs have less range than high power rifles such as the likes of .30-06, .308, etc. If you're standing on level ground shooting at a deer 100 yds away then the slug will lose velocity and also hit the ground sooner than the normal deer rifles. With the congestion of people in some counties it's a real concern how far a rd might travel.

Depends on what you are hunting. Deer is slugs, muzzleloader, or handgun only. Coyote and other varmints can be taken with whatever you want to shoot.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010