Why you should carry at home...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Bob45acp, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Bob45acp

Bob45acp HandgunWorld

Today was the day for people coming to my door. I always carry at the very least a pocket gun at home. The reason is because I like to answer the door with my right hand on my gun while in my pocket. Therefore it just looks like my hand is in my pocket..no problem. Both visitors were innocent, first was a Boy Scout selling popcorn, I felt so bad I bought a box right away. Second was a neighbor getting petition signatures, I signed. I'm a sucker I guess. But next time the person on the other side of the door might not be so innocent. Carry at home, or never open your door. Even then, carry at home anyway.

2. 1canvas

1canvas

i always carry at home. i live real close to a halfway house and drug rehab. every now and then our whole area get surounded by cops setting up a perimeter, sometimes with a chopper in the sky, and we are always on the inside of the perimeter.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010

3. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I couldn't agree more with everything said. I ALWAYS carry everywhere I am as well, even at home.

Stay safe and shoot straight. :wavey:

4. Trey83

Trey83

I carry at home also. You have nothing to lose by carrying so I figure why not.

5. NonPCnraRN

NonPCnraRN

When I lived by myself in an apartment in my younger years there was a rash of forced entries when people answered the door. I hung my Charter Undercover in an upside down shoulder holster with cup hooks just below the peep hole. If I opened the door to a stranger I had my hand on the gun butt. If someone pushed the door in the gun would be yanked from the holster and ready to fire.

6. nick425

nick425

Sounds like it's time to move.

7. Protector1911

Protector1911

Home or away...I always have a gun on me.

8. CBennett

CBennett

If someone comes to the door i can get a gun before I get to the door(and I do so when I look and dont know whos at the door) but other than that no need to be CC when I get up at 4pm(i work 3rd shift) and sit around the house till 11PM to leave for work..and no real need to have a gun on me when I wake up on the weekends to drink coffee and mess around on the computer..one is decently close at hand should I need one..no need to have it on me at home. When I go out though thats a different story.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  9. tag

tag Secret Member

Carry at home......because you were visited by a boy scout and a neighbor???

Ok........

I don't carry at home. I have a quick access safe on each level of my home that contains a high-capacity pistol and at least one reload. All of my entry points are hardened and cannot be opened quickly. I have a 60 lb dog with a great dislike for strangers. I don't open the door for strangers, and I couldn't care less what they have to say. I try not to shoot neighbors and boy scouts.

10. f150man

f150man

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

If you have to carry at home it's time to MOVE!!!!!!

11. Clay1

Clay1

Short story: It's about 10:30 pm on a work night for me, when the door bell rings. I'm just sitting around in my under shorts/ no shirt. No one called before stopping by so I was NOT expecting anyone. The only thing close was a Smith 27. It's a 357 with a N frame and 8 3/8" barrel - Looks like a Dirty Harry gun except in 357 instead of 44. Right hand goes up against the door jam out of sight as the left hand opens the door. It's the brother in law. I bring the gun out from hidding behind the door jam with the muzzle straight up and wave him in the house with the gun. As in come on in friend.

At this point his eyes go to softball size, like right NOW! Takes three or steps back, turns around and says as he was walking away, "OH, just forget it" and leaves.

Funny thing is, that brother in law, never, ever stops over since then without calling first. Can't imagine why?????

Now, these days, I never open the door without looking out the peep first, never!

12. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

I don't carry at home and I won't. When I'm home, I'm usally in lacrosse shorts and tshirt, lounging on the couch or playing/wrestling/etc with my 2yr old.

Our doors are always locked, and I never answer them to people I don't know.

If I'm outside, I ALWAYS have a pistol on me. But not inside, though it's never more than a few feet away.

13. J_Rico

J_Rico

This attitude always amazes me. No place is "safe."

These people would argue that carrying at home is a good idea if they had not been murdered in a "nice" neighborhood.

CHESHIRE, Conn. -- A prominent doctor's wife and two daughters died in a fire that police said was ignited after a home invasion early Monday morning.

http://www.wfsb.com/news/13736066/detail.html

14. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

True. No place is safe. But there is a differing level of threat at different places. I have access to firearms in the home, but see no need to keep one on me 24/7. Like another poster, if I felt that I needed to do that, I would make every effort to move.

15. Glockbuster

Glockbuster

I don´t carry at home, I have other security measures in place to tell good from bad. I might suggest doing the same if you feel threatened by someone knocking on your door in your neighborhood.

16. Pender1

Pender1

I carry any time I'm wearing pants. If not there's a shotgun "near" the door. My mom is at home a lot by herself, told me the other day 2 very sketchy looking guys knocked on the door asking to use the phone. There was no car and she'd never seen them before. She lives way out of town with no neighbors. So yes, there's a reason to encourage people to carry guns at home.

17. DaxE

DaxE

I carry a good bit while I am at home.

I am really interested in these places I could move and not worry about crime though. Please fill me in. Well now that I am thinking about it, it is not to easy or affordable just to pick up and move, so never mind on that.

18. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

I carry at home. I also tend to not answer the door to strangers or obvious solicitors either. Unless of course you're standing there w/my pizza.

19. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

I don't always carry at home but at least 1 gun is always within a few feet of me. Usually it's the XD 40 and the 12 gauge.

This time last year I had just gotten into guns and bought my first pistol maybe a month before.

I live with my parents right now while I finish my senior year of college but I was the only one home one afternoon. As I'm sitting in the basement(my room) I hear the front door open and then hear boots walking on the wood floor.

I immediately grab my Taurus and stand at my bedroom door just listening. After what seemed like forever I hear a mans voice say "helllllo". I open my door and look up the stairs to see some guy staring at me.
    I had my Taurus behind my back where he couldn't see it but I think he realized what I was holding and got pretty nervous.

Long story short he was there to work on our fireplace and my mom had failed to tell me he was coming over.

Always be prepared at home people.

20. Pender1

Pender1

had a locksmith role into my gf's locked apartment a while back at like 6am without knocking or announcing himself. He was supposed to be at the apartment next door changing a lock and got mixed up. If I'd been there that morning he'd have had a bad day. Lucky for him I stayed at my place that night.