close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why would there be a war between the US and Russia/China?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by rsagona1, Mar 7, 2012.

1. rsagona1

rsagona1 Hello

I wasn't around during the Cold War, and this may sound naive, but I don't get it.

The war in Afghanistan..they attacked us. They don't like us, their extremists...etc etc.

We went to war with the Nazi's because they wanted everyone to look alike and call each other Hans.

But why would Russia and/or China ever want to go to war with us? It would not accomplish anything. Further, why the hell are they backing Iran? Doing so, again, is stirring up the pot.

The words, "why can't we all just get along" does not apply to those who want to throw planes into buildings. It does, however, apply to those nations like Russia and China who seem to be a bit more "developed" and understanding that a WWIII would do no one good.

2. BFN

BFN

Tyrants do not act rationally. Tyranny can manifest itself very quickly.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

3. Naelbis

Naelbis

I would advise opening a history book, the answers are all there. China and Russia are two nations that have long, long histories of empire and they never stopped wanting to regain what they lost. Add in political philosophies that are directly opposite of our own and you basically have the stage set for a fight over top dog status. I find it sad that someone barely younger than me can be so ignorant of recent world history. That is not a slam on you personally, but a general disgust for the failure of the education system to teach you such important information.

4. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

First of all, Afghanistan did not attack us.
    Terrosists who had trainging camps (and perhaps with the nod of some in power) did the dirty deed.

I cannot envision Russia or China or any other country (with the exception of Iran) actually declaring war on the U.S.
    If this were to happen it would surely lead to what has been called "mutually assured destruction".
    This is why there's so much concern over Iran obtaining a nuclear device(s).
    They may not be able to deliver these weapons (now) to hit us directly or efficiently but the possibility of a "dirty bomb" would be more of a concern or using one of these weapons against their neighbors could have a huge effect regionally and in the price of oil and the the financial stability of the world.

5. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

#1: A fight over disputed natural resources would be the quickest way.

#2: would be sponsoring a hostel country to do us or are allies significant harm. (9/11 but bigger)

#3: would be to give 20 million men something to do other than overthrow their government. Current projections are 20 million men in China and India (40m total) will never find a woman due to millions of girls being terminated either in pregnancy or at birth. (Boys can work to support old parents, girls get married and leave, so boys are more valuable) (Countries have been sending their restless youth off to fight in foreign lands for a thousand years)

4th: Some wack-job lunatic smuggles in a dirty nuke to a major city and makes it look like someone else did it. (terrorism at it's worst)

5th: The US elects a hardline anti (insert whatever) and that country is best friends with Russia/China/Syria/Iran and they assassination the President as a preemptive measure of self preservation. We respond and destroy their ability to honor their (self defense/food/fuel) agreements with their partners. The Partner attacks us because of the destabilizing effects our retaliation has caused to their country. (WW1 started for less)

#5 was real possibility when Reagan was sworn in. Iran would have faced a US invasion if they had not released our hostages when they did. Other nations would have responded to our invasion badly.

There are other possibilities, thousands of combinations could lead to another major war, and any major war with a nuclear power is a fight the US can not win. Our homeland, the 50 states, has remained unscathed by war since 1812. That will not be the case in the next one. We have fought in two world wars, with millions dead, European cities completely wiped out, complete WIPED off the face of the planet by both sides, and not one US city was been air raided or bombed.

Only terrorist have hit us. If a major power hits us, 3,000 dead in one attack would be an easy day.

6. 427

Last year about this time, we had an equivalent to a dirty bomb explode, I'm not talking about 5, 10 or even a 100 lb bomb, I'm talking about hundreds of tons! The strange thing is, no one seems to care.

7. 427

China, at some point, will challenge the US for dominance in the far east. They are buying natural resources and setting up for the long term. At some point Chinese might also go after taiwan, who they consider a rogue provence and we have a treaty to defend taiwan. Read about the 1996 Taiwan Straight Crisis.

8. jbutenhoff

jbutenhoff

OK, off topic but lets get the term straight as it makes us all look a bit stupid...

A "dirty bomb" is NOT a nuclear bomb. It is a conventional bomb that has some radioactive material that is spread out by the conventional explosion. NOTHING like a nuke.

So if Iran developed a nuke, there is no way in God's green earth they would try to attack the US with a "dirty bomb"...

As for the original question, I second reading a history book. Both China and Russia have felt for a very long time that they should control more of the world. Both of them have acted on these impulses within the last 50 years. Both are Communist with a iron central government that controls everything from the internet to their "elections". All it takes for either to start a war is for ONE man at the top to say so, that is it!

9. sarge83

sarge83

If I were the Russians I would be concerned about the Chicoms eying the rich natural resources of Siberia.

Our best interest would be to play India/Japan/South Korea and the other Asian countries off against the Chicoms to keep them in check and treat Russia as the enemy we did for 70 yrs. They are not our friends and never have been.

10. tongix

tongix

HIstory always tell of empires far and wide. They rise and fall. UK and SPain were once European powerhouses a hundred plus years ago that we know. America wasnt one until we whopped the Spaniards lair in 1898. THat was the start of our venture to world domination . We then followed the likes of Britain. And by fluke of history we became the undisputed power in 1989 by the fall of USSR.

11. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

Because some people, (Not just your wife and boss) really believe they should be in control of everything.

12. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Britain used to have the largest empire on the planet, yet no one (except maybe Ireland) is talking about going to war against modern day England.

13. tongix

tongix

Britain's mojo as a world power wane in the first wave of WW 2. It was only America who propped them up again. After WW 2 they continued their face but behind us .

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwMk5i6Vr_w&feature=related"]WW II SINGAPORE FALLS 3 of 3 1942 RARE COLOR FILM - YouTube[/ame]

14. Cream Soda Kid

Cream Soda Kid

I don’t believe that Russia or China would actually want to fight a hot war against the USA. There’s too much to lose in that large of a war for everyone. I think a healthy USA is more valuable to them than a decimated or devastated USA.

They may however, be interested in trying some form of intimidation whether through economic or diplomatic means to force the USA to bend to their way of thinking or doing things.

I wouldn’t put it past either one to use or encourage a proxy, like Iran, to use some sort of terrorist action to accomplish or advance this intimidation.

I haven ‘t heard of anything specific, just putting my opinion out there.

15. Cream Soda Kid

Cream Soda Kid

Deleted duplicate reply.

16. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

Wasn't that true for Japan and German in 1941 as well? It sure didn't stop them.

17. Cream Soda Kid

Cream Soda Kid

Good point.:wavey:

18. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

I'm sure you mean a war with a foreign power and didn't omit the American Civil War intentionally :)

I think it is HIGHLY probable that we will "go to war" with Russia and/or China in the next few decades. Heck, we are already in an economic war with China now (and losing BADLY). Look at what China is doing. They are buying up mineral/metal rights all over Asia and Africa. Once scarcity of resources hits a peak, be it oil, water, metals, or arable land, war is the only answer. Fortunately for us China is bordered by populous advanced nations so they will probably fight each other after America gives way. If we can achieve some level of resource independence NOW we can have the luxury of sitting back while the rest of the planet fights for oil, though I doubt this will happen.

But read ANY history book. When has there ever NOT been war? It is inevitable. No empire lasts forever, ours will not either. What we can hope for is to preserve our culture and our independence, much like the British have done so far.

19. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

More accurately, terrorists from Saudi Arabia primarily, with bases in Afghanistan.

20. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Any conflict China gets into with the USA will be economic. They have us by our fiscal nads... and nobody really seems to care.