Glock Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, Hope this is the correct thread to ask this, had a case split with new, store bought, factory Hornady 140 grn leverevolution 357 magnum ammo. This prompts 2 questions, why would this happen, and did this damage my gun.

I was sighting in the gun for hunting, the rounds fired prior to the one that split were all normal, although somewhat erratic in POI. This seemed unusual to me, as the last couple of seasons, the hornady ammo has been very consistent.

Once I remove the split case, I looked in the chamber, and there was no visible signs of damage to the cylinder wall. Are there other concerns I shoud be aware of? Admittedly, Im not a huge revolver guy, I like them, but most of the year am shooting a Glock or 1911. (pistol is a ruger gp100 357 magnum)
Thank You in advance for any information

· Premium Member
42,447 Posts
Assuming that particular round felt & heard the same, I would say just a defective case.
No harm to that rifle from that cartridge, assure the barrel does not have an obstruction.

· Registered
153 Posts
Is this the first time you shot your GP? It sounds like the bores are oversized slightly. I have only seen this in two revolvers, one a Mosin Nagant pistol shooting .32 S&W instead of the gas seal 7.62 round (size difference causing the split) and the same with my S&W 1917 originally chambered in .455 Webley and redone by S&W in .45 Auto Rim. My Smith only splits cases after a couple of reloads. This is the only thing I could think of maybe someone else has had similar issues can shed more light.

· Registered
5,427 Posts
This might be better off in the gunsmithing forum but I will add my two cents.

Without seeing the gun or the ammo, my first thought is your chambers may be too large. Does this happen with other kinds of ammo?

I have had split cases in a few guns that had a chamber that was too large. I have also had split cases in old brass but you said the brass is new. Check your chambers and see what the actual inside diameter is. If the chambers are out of spec, that is the problem.

If it only happens with one kind of ammo, it may be ammo related.

· Registered
30,515 Posts
Yes, probably defective brass.

A case splitting isn't unusual. Seldom do I shoot more than a few hundred rounds without having a case or two split. In no way does it harm the gun. The only way I know the case split is when I see it when preparing to reload the brass.
This is mostly reloaded brass that's been loaded many times, but over the years I have had new Winchester 44 Mag, Remington 38 Special, .223, etc, brass split.

If one case splits in a box of new factory ammo it's likely that more will split. Every case in the box eventually split in the Winchester 44 Mag and Remington 38 Special.

Depending on where a case splits on a round like 30.06 there could be a scary release of hot gas that will get your attention but in the pistol rounds a split down the side will usually go unnoticed.

· Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have shot this pistol a lot, over the last 4 or five years, with the same type of ammo and others manufacturers as well (federal mostly), didnt realize it split until i tried removing it, split the length down the side of the case

· Registered
30,515 Posts
Oh, your hard to extract comment reminded me. Last week a case split in my S&W Model 51 22 Mag revolver. It would have gone unnoticed except for the hard extraction.

A split 45ACP, 38 Special, 9mm, etc, case extracts normally usually.

· Registered
30,515 Posts
I found the 22 Mag case. It's Winchester.
Something was not quite right in the manufacturing process. I'll be surprised if a few more don't crack from the same box.

Now this is a different story. The 30.06 case didn't actually crack. The hot gas burned through the already cracked case like a blow torch.
I definitely knew when this case blew.
I inspected the rest of the shipment and you can see another cracked unfired case.
This failure has a name but I can't recall it. In some cases the hot gas burns all the way across the base of the case to the primer pocket.

· Registered
9,189 Posts
I found the 22 Mag case. It's Winchester.
Something was not quite right in the manufacturing process. I'll be surprised if a few more don't crack from the same box.

Now this is a different story. The 30.06 case didn't actually crack. The hot gas burned through the already cracked case like a blow torch.
I definitely knew when this case blew.
I inspected the rest of the shipment and you can see another cracked unfired case.
This failure has a name but I can't recall it. In some cases the hot gas burns all the way across the base of the case to the primer pocket.
I believe a "J" split is in the shoulder. A "M" split runs from the primer pocket into the rim and up the side of the cartridge case for maybe 3/8-1/2 inch. The "M" split is very dangerous. Had one several years ago in a very nice K-98 Mauser. No damage to rifle. But, a church member had to use tweezers to pick the bits of brass out of my eye brow and forehead. My shooting glasses saved my eyes. If you have more ammo from that lot that had the split, do not under any circumstances fire it. It simply is not at all safe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.