Why was the 5.11 Light For Life Discontinued?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Kahr_Glockman, Jul 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

I have googled, but haven't found anything. It was a good idea but by the time I could actually buy on they had been discontinued.

2. dano1427

dano1427

The capacitors were unreliable and couldn't sustain the energy needed for decent runtimes and the power needed for more modern emitters (LED's).

3. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

Thanks, I thought they had figured out the capacitors after they blew up. Figures that they couldn't make it work.

4. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

My agency has approximately 12 in use, in a jail setting. I know of no problems with the lights, nor have I had any problems when using them. They seem to work for 2 hours or so and charge really fast. The only way you can use the high function is to hold the button in, which I don't like.

Overall it isn't a bad light, and we have had ours for about 4 years.

5. x_out86

x_out86

We had them as well. Good idea in principal, terrible in practice. The capacitors in ours started going within 6 months.

I do have to say though, the new 5.11 rechargeable lights are SWEET. They are polymer but about the same size as the classic SL-20. We have a few and they are BRIGHT. For as much as I love my LED Stinger, I might switch to the bigger light as my primary.

Here is the link for the TPT R7. Great light.
    http://www.511tactical.com/tpt-r7-flashlight.html

6. Pepper45

Pepper45

Because they were complete garbage. They worked well at first, then the "charger" would die, then the light itself would take a crap. I went through four in three years, and each one would work at first, but eventually eat a charger. 5.11 distributor locally then offered me $50 off another 5.11 light when my last one died. I took them up on it, and regretted it again, that charger was garbage too. I finally bought a smaller light, and haven't looked back. I won't buy anything lighting related with the 5.11 name on it.

7. ottomatic

ottomatic

I bought one of the first ones available here. It is the smaller one. Still use it. It is starting to show its age, but still works as promised. I like the light weight and the fast recharge. I do have occasional issues with the charger, and have to "re-seat" the light in it in order for it to start charging, but it still works.

From what I was told, the reason they were discontinued, was that some of the larger ones had the charger catch fire, allegedly.

8. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

5.11 is a gimmick company. They make **** that has features no one needs but sell that crap by convincing everyone that they can't do the job without it. And every department has at least one Johnny Fiveeleven who is a head to toe catalog but usually can't find his dick with both hands.

x_out86 and Cochese like this.
  9. Morris

Morris CLM

MeefZah:

Do you freakin know how bad hot coffee burns the nostrils?

Never laugh while drinking a cup. Never. Bastard. :)

10. x_out86

x_out86

Lol. Blunt, on point, and true.

Even with that being said, take their "cool toy" type items out of the equation, and I have to say that their jackets, polos, pants and backpacks are actually quality stuff.

11. ray9898

ray9898

While some knock it the light was actually a pretty good idea. I remember the transition period in lighting coming from the old incandescent Magchargers to what we have now. There was always light problems, if it wasn't a bulb it was the batteries going out or not holding a charge. The other option was the smaller tactical belt lights that would blow through two cr123s in under an hour. Being stuck with a dead flashlight sucked.

The ability for fully charge your light in 90 seconds was a huge bonus. Now, my belt light is a compact that will run 220 hours on low and 16 hours at a brightness level that is plenty bright enough for nearly anything I do. My car light is a Pelican that has never went dead during a shift. Times have changed.

12. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

I was issued a 5.11 LFL about 3 years ago. It's a decent light. Not super bright and the throw isn't great, but its serviceable. The run time on mine is shorter than it used to be, but it still works and is my main light.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

13. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

LOL, sorry bout that

14. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

I'm surprised that they haven't come out with a 5.11 tactical laser sighted rangefinder aimpoint red dot GPS dickfinder.

Can't be digging around in there trying to find it when you have to pee really bad.

At least kydex underwear for a faster draw.

Randy

15. Morris

Morris CLM

Still thinking about a Tactical Kilt . . . just because . . . :supergrin: