Why u ride what u ride?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Patterson, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Rebel_James

Rebel_James

'93 Harley 1200 Sportster .... 'Miss Scarlet'

[​IMG]

It's my Harley, I don't have to explain nothing!

2. ndbullet500

ndbullet500 Guest

Great taste in machines. I'd probably lean more Ducati than Aprilia, but that's mainly just variations on a theme. And really the only reason I would lean Ducati instead is because of the first time I went to VMD (Vintage Motorcycle Days - racing/swapmeet/rally/party at Mid-Ohio). I parked, the sounds of singles, twins, triples, 4cyls, etc practicing just a few hundred feet away as I hurriedly set up my tent. I walked over the berm to the long straight after turn 6 (5?) and RRRRRMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!! A Ducati 750 at just the right moment, accelerating out of the turn, the sound of that twin like nothing I had ever heard before.

An unmuffled Harley V-Twin rattles my head, much sharper and (sorry HD guys) frankly unpleasant to my ears in pitch. An unmuffled Ducati 750 or 900 makes my chest feel every rpm. It's a more resonate sound that made me realize something new that day; you can love a sound. I did research on the physiological effect of percussive musical instruments on the human body (EDIT: research was back in those halcyon days of academic youth, not after VMD I, although if I had known back then what a Ducati sounds, I would have added it as an instrument for research - seriously), so I'm not totally surprised, but it was the first time a sound elicited an emotional response for me personally.

:sad: Only ~$140,000 in student loans to go, then I can start shopping at your bike shops. :thumbsup:

Oh, I started watching Long Way Round again last night. Stupid KTM PR (or whatever dept pulled the plug on KTM participation) - makes me like BMW even more for having the stones to sign on. I actually thought about KTM's wimp out when I was looking for my new bike at the KTM/Kawa dealer.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

KTM screwed up as far as PR goes and possible sales of their adventure line. HOWEVER, the loyal KTM fans seem to applaude their decision for not making a "movie" with their bikes.

4. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

I ride a 1981 Suzuki GS450L. Got it cheap (~$1k). Had it for three years. First bike. Don't like it anymore. Can't afford my SV1000 yet. Just stuck being bummed out.:sad:

5. Goldstar225

Goldstar225 NRA member

Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800 cc). For my 5th bike I wanted something with sufficient power to carry my wife and I with luggage for week long trips. This bike meets all my current needs and is a sweet ride.

6. Gasoil4ever

Gasoil4ever Glock Frog

A Yamaha MT-01 2007, 1700cc V-Twin, great design, great chassis, great engine, all about good vibrations, huge torque, perfect handling... 100% Adrenaline, without breaking the bareer of sound (which is a felony down here, and would make me loose my right to own guns... Idiotic... but it's the law here)

Ride safe !

7. JAREDG21

JAREDG21

rc-51 track bike
    turbo gsx-r 1000 balls to the wall bragging rights
    busa sport touring.
    I have been riding for almost 22 years (including dirt)
    Now don't get me wrong I will ride any thing on two wheels but I won't buy a cruiser. My reasons are as follows. Tire suspension and brake technology is mediocre at best compared to sport bikes and other standard motorcycles. safety is a big factor for me. Engine performance is way behind as well. Also emergency handling is horrid. For me I don't like my feet way out in front of me mainly because the wind wears me out and I have never been able to ride a cruiser comfortably for more than about 300 miles. Yes I know that you can put a wind screen on a cruiser to eliminate this problem but I think it really takes away from the look of the bike. I am not saying this is the status quo I have plenty of riding buddies that do ride long distance but not me. Although I have not ridden all of the cruisers out there, I have ridden alot of them. I don't want to be flamed because I hate cruisers when in fact I don't. If money was no problem i would have one or four. There are quite a few cruisers that I like but I'm just not ready to spend my money on them.

8. Compy

Compy CompensateWhat?

I currently ride an '05 Kawasaki ZX10R. I never really liked the full-on sportbikes...until I rode one! It's not really about the speed as I don't race and never use it to it's "full potential". I am simply more comfortable on it than any other bike.

Yes, you read that right. I started out on an '86 GS400 that a friend gave me. It lasted a month until the tranny died. I went out and bought a '97 Harley Night train. I put maybe 1000 miles on it in the 2 years I owned it. It was SO damn uncomfortable, I never enjoyed riding it. I sold it and 6 years later, bought a '03 Honda 919. I rode it for about 18 months after I changed out the bar and rearsets to make it a bit more tolerable to ride. One day, a friend of mine let me ride his '05 ZX10. I had never been so comfortable on a bike before, it fit me PERFECT! Two months later, I had one.

Here's the deal: I have lower back problems and a pinched nerve in my lower back. The other bikes I had put all my upper body weight on my lower back and caused spasms after even short rides. The sportbikes take the weight off my back and move them to my wrists. Everyone kept telling me about how uncomfortable sportbikes were, so I never tried them. Turns out, the opposite is true, for me.

9. tshadow6

tshadow6

My first two bikes were what was available at the time. 1-70s 650 Yamaha Special. 2-2002 Honda VLX 600. In June of this year I sold the Honda and bought my dream bike, a Triumph Bonneville. Back in the 80s they were not reliable, then not available. In the 90s, I had other priorties, so here we are in 2007. Finally, my dream bike is affordable, reliable and MINE. I chose Triumph for the history. Triumph is one of the original MC brands. Maybe I'll go back to Honda or some other brand, for now I'm riding the dream.