Why they should try kids as adults

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by cantuckee, Jan 13, 2010.

1. cantuckee

cantuckee

I heard about this story last night on the news and it made me absolutely sick, I hope he gets treated the same way when he and his parents get to prison (if he ever does).

Source: http://www.fox19.com/Global/story.asp?S=11812584

2. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

I saw a cop show where a kid kept telling the ossifers "I juvey cop, I juvey". IMO, any time a kid of any age says that, it shows they knew better and were taking advantage of their age, and they should be tried as an adult.

3. Ersatz

Ersatz

Some kids are tried as adults. Let's hope this kid is one of them.

4. cantuckee

cantuckee

well I heard they are trying, but I have a bad feeling he will get away with a slap on the wrist.

5. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Umm, you can't really have it both ways.

Either kids are too young to understand the consequences of their actions and should therefore get legal protections from the harm they can cause themselves OR the age of majority needs to be lowered to a more reasonble one in which kids are responsible for the consequences of the decisions they make.

The other option is to do away away with juvenile crime in general and punish everyone, regardless of age, exactly the same.

I'm leaning toward the latter.

6. kcb

kcb Southern Lady

I'm leaning toward the latter, too.

Kids that do things like in the OP, absolutely.

Many kids can tell you more than I can...I am more naive than they are.

The ones that can't won't be the ones doing these horrible criminal acts in the first place. They are still the few children that remain innocent, as young children should still be...

I teach elementary school, which ends with 5th grade. When I was in 5th grade, I was 10 years old. Some of our 5th graders are 12. The girls look like they are 16. Many of them are not innocent any more.

There are children that many of us say..."you will see him/her on the six o'clock news in a couple of years..."

They are already acting out in elementary school. AND I'm sad to say, I've even seen one of our "predicted" students on the news for criminal behavior BEFORE he left elementary school.

Those kids should be tried as adults. And WHERE are their parents?

7. coopaloopa

coopaloopa

I agree with you that this kid is a horror and needs to be punished. But instead of saying "you will see him on the news in a couple years" to troubled kids, why dont you go out of your way to help the kids out. I was one of those kids, destined for failure and drug addiction. I was the kid that nobodies parents wanted their kid to hang out with because I would bring them down with me. I was not doing anything any of the other kids were not doing I just got into some mischief here and there and had a bad reputation. Lets just say things change and I consider myself a good guy. Don't give up on the kids that stick out, they have a lot to offer.

8. kcb

kcb Southern Lady

Oh we do! We do!!!! We doooooo!

But sadly, there are a few, that no matter what you do...

I have two second grade boys right now. They can't read. They don't know how to behave. I'm doing all that I can. I'm not a classroom teacher. I'm a Computer Teacher. I do everything I can to help them; make them know they matter. I still have at least three years with them. I also communicate with all other teachers that work with them.

If I see a problem with a student, I always do what I can, and make sure I'm not the only one that sees it.

9. coopaloopa

coopaloopa

Thats good to hear, I did not intend to make it sound like you hated kids and werent trying to help them. Your a teacher, which shows that you truly do care about the youth and spend all day trying to shape them up, which is more then most people can say. There is only so much you can do without the parents helping out, I understand.

In college I volunteered for a NPO called Junior Achievements which had me teaching at risk children in a bad area downtown. There were a few of those kids that were heading down the wrong path, but everytime they acted irrationally it just motivated me to try and get through to them so I could at least give them one good piece of advice. Keep on keepin on.....even if its only 1 out of 100 that you can influence in a better way, its worth it.

10. kcb

kcb Southern Lady

That's great! If you can touch one life....then it is worth it all!

11. DthDlr

DthDlr

+1 Here is one that I just could not believe because she said she did it just to see what it felt like. It is absolutely sickening.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,575590,00.html