Glock Talk banner

Why the Shepard's hook?

7116 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  cciman
Why the Shepard's hook? It's the aks weak point of design. Replaced mine with a Krebs plate. Much sturdier. Why is a gun so overbuilt for robust durability relying on a thin wire?

Even in the 50s a retaining plate would be easy to make
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Who me?
189 Posts
Don't really have any good answers to your questions.
What I do know is all of my AK rifles (all 12) have the wire retainer and I've had no trouble with any of them.
Including one of my Romanians that has somewhere around 10,000 rounds thru it.
I'm of the frame of mind - If it ain't broke, don't screw with it.

· Come on man!!
20,159 Posts
Don't really have any good answers to your questions.
What I do know is all of my AK rifles (all 12) have the wire retainer and I've had no trouble with any of them.
Including one of my Romanians that has somewhere around 10,000 rounds thru it.
I'm of the frame of mind - If it ain't broke, don't screw with it.
That's all well and good if that's how you like your AK's but it doesn't apply to everyone else or every situation.

My very first AK was an SAR1 with horrible trigger slap. It was a well known problem that those guns had and a Tapco trigger with a retainer plate was a quick and easy fix. I tried the wire, it was a pain in the ass and the retainer plate was the east solution.

· MacGyver
10,801 Posts
It is very hard to install the shepherds hook, the plate is much easier-- the only function is to retain the pins, so yes the plate is a modern upgrade.

· Registered
676 Posts
The Shepard's hook come from the time when builders were making semi auto rifles from full auto kits.
The Shepard's hook is made from the full auto sear spring (pictured) so the builders would not have to buy any extra parts. They would cut this full auto sear spring at the arrow & make the Shepard's hook to retain the FCG axis pins.
I think the retainer plate is much easier to use in the semi-auto AK rifle.

· Registered
28,299 Posts
Revive an old thread - replace the Shepard's hook with a plate?

Had some light primer strikes in my KS47 - PSA sent me a new hammer spring + I sanded down the firing pin base to allow just a hair more of the firing pin to exit & make a little bit deeper dent in the primer - the issue started just as I started using a new case of ammo - so the primers in this case of ammo must be a little harder than what I was shooting.

All seems good now -

But it got me wondering about my AK47 it is an older gun - all original - I was considering buying a hammer spring just so I would have one on hand - when I discovered the Shepard's hook in my gun is a little bit different than many.

My AK47 is a Polish underfolder and uses the type of hook in the Bulgarian / 3RD down from the top.

At this point I have decided to just leave it alone - but still may order a spare hammer spring - but wondering if I should have a retainer plate to go with it -

If its not broken don't break it - but be ready if I do break it -

· MacGyver
10,801 Posts
As the current prices of ammo continue to climb, you may never have to worry about shooting enough ammo to wear out or break the hammer spring.

· MacGyver
10,801 Posts
not sure how much ammo that would take. My first ak home build went over 10,000rds before I even cleaned it. I have never replaced anything on it ever.
Read my sentence again, Komrad Bruh.
10K rounds in todays prices will cost you at least $2500, prob 3- 5x more than your AK is worth....so worrying about the hammer spring is silly.

The shepherds hook does its job by retaining the 2 pins, nothing more. 2 E clips could do the same job too at much cheaper cost than the spring or plate-- but simple makes difficulty level and price go up. E clips> spring> plate.

· Registered
28,299 Posts
Well I decided to replace the springs in my AK underfolder - I have no idea how old they are - I assume they are original to the gun. Serial number is 1984 SC***** so was it made in 1984???

After "too much" thought I decided to try the
ALG Defense AK Recoil Spring

Then decided to also add the
ALG Defense AK High Energy Main Spring

I installed them last night - have not shot the gun yet.

The difference in force required pull the charging handle back after dry firing is so much more than before -

After racking the bolt a few dozen times my finger started to hurt!

Crazy I go from being concerned the recoil spring and main spring are too weak - to concerned the new springs are so heavy the gun will not cycle.

The gun has always been 100% reliable -- if I have to I can put one or both of the old springs back. I hope I didn't over do it - and end up with it causing problems to eject and feed.

I purchased a retaining plate to replace the shepherds hook - before I started I figured I would keep the original part - but after removing it - what a PITA - I decided to use the plate - and I have to say it is so much easier - totally worth the $5 cost.

So - new recoil spring, new main spring and plate all for under $30 -- I hope to get to the range to shoot it this week or next.

I also put on a different muzzle brake - I bought it 10 years ago and have never tried it.

· Registered
28,299 Posts
I got to the range and put about 200 rounds through my AK -

Shot great -

First time I shot it after replacing the recoil & main spring and Shepard's Hook with a retaining plate -

One like this -

When I got home I noticed the end with the hole the safety goes through had pulled away from the side of the frame about 1/4 of an inch.

The pins were still tight - it was installed correctly - not sure why it wants to move over - but that bothers me --

I ordered a new retainer plate - from a company I never heard of - Sweeney Engineering

Looks a little more substantial - only $11.

Little stuff like this bugs me - and rather than worry decided to just replace it -

If this doesn't work I will reinstall the Shepard's Hook.

· MacGyver
10,801 Posts
Little pieces of bent spring wire are much easier, more ecologically efficient (less materials waste), lighter weight, and cheaper to produce than metal plates. Slave, child labor, with tiny hands do not mind the production labor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.