Why the hate for EVs?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ronin.45, Nov 12, 2019.

1. railfancwb

railfancwb

And when TVA came in they shut down many small capacity hydro plants. Arguably most of their electricity now is generated by steam plants - some nucs sone fossil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I read the first page and feel dumber.

I shall read no further.

lazarus66, Ramjet38, cbetts1 and 2 others like this.

3. nmk

nmk

Wow. Neat.

4. Bruce M

Bruce M

Interesting. If there is coolant I wonder how it dumps heat without a radiator and in what it flows without hoses.

cbetts1 likes this.
  5. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

Exposure Value, a combination of shutter speed and aperture in photography.
    I don't know why the hate either.

:)

Ramjet38 likes this.
  6. rfd339

rfd339 Silver Member

Wouldn't mind a Prius. One passed me coming up a 7 grade here near Hendersonville. They were loaded with two kayaks two mountain bikes and all their camping gear stuffed in the back to the point of no rear view vision. I was running 65 up the grade and they passed me like it was down hill grade. They were pulled to right at the top of the mountain discussing their situation with a NCHP blacknsilver charger. Lol.

7. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

8. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

There is no excuse for the kind of behavior described in the OP.

If I were to take a guess, I would say most dislike of EVs is due to dislike of our tax dollars going to subsidize them.

When all subsidies finally go away and when EVs are subject to road use tax to be equivalent to what people using internal combustion vehicles curently pay in gas taxes I imagine no one will care what people purchase and drive.

cbetts1 likes this.
  9. Boot Stomper

Boot Stomper

No hate from me. I just can't afford one and long term and winter reliability is a concern.

cbetts1 likes this.
  10. tom mac

tom mac

And, if you live in CA, then they shut off the elec.... what do u do ? :0

azron and techiej like this.
  11. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

In some EVs (my Chevy Bolt, for example. Teslas as well.) the motive battery is either cooled or heated using a special fluid in order to keep the battery at an ideal temperature.

The first major maintenance for my Bolt is at 150,000 miles, for a change of this fluid.

Bruce M, SevenSixtyTwo and cbetts1 like this.
  12. Z71bill

Z71bill

An EV would fill most of our needs -

We do 10 trips of less than a mile for every trip over 5 miles

The longest drive we did in the last month was 15 miles (one way)

An EV would handle all these short trips better than a V6 gas engine -

In 2016 when we bought the vehicle there wasn't any EV that we liked -

In 2010 when we bought a new SUV we looked at a Prius V (it was sort of an SUV) it was pretty cool - but they were being discontinued -

-------------------------------

BTW - the % of power from coal keeps dropping - still it is 25%.

--------------------------------

We have had a Tahoe since 1990 something - I have had people say things to me while filling it up several times.

A couple times it was aggressive -

Like -

It is YOUR FAULT gas prices are $5 a gallon - why do you drive such a big gas guzzler?

I usually just farted in their direction - and ignored them -

One time I had a guy that just kept talking -

So I ask him how many MPG he got - I can't recall exactly - but it was something like 30 MPG

So I ask how many miles he drove a year - and he says 20,000

Then I say I only get 15 MPH - but I only drive 5,000 miles a year - so I only use half as much gas as you do -

Then added - you shouldn't drive so many miles -

He instantly got mad and said it was none of my business how many miles he drove -

I said - So it isn't any of your business how much gas I use then either is it -

He got a funny look on his face - like he just taken a big bite of crap sandwich -

I left - he didn't say anything else.

I suspect many EV drives think bad thoughts when I drive past in my Tahoe (all alone) --

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Gregoire G and cbetts1 like this.
  13. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

When they make them with 300 mile range (or 200 for bikes) that recharge to 100% in five minutes at any gas station, I’d have no problem buying one. Less maintenance and fewer moving parts to fail.

Same with airplanes. Due to battery weight and efficiency, it’s unlikely that a practical electric aircraft will be on the market in my lifetime. If it happens, though, I’d be happy to get rid of the maintenance of a piston engine.

Nutty Professor 188 likes this.
  14. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

We have a Nissan Leaf. Got it because my wife works from home and doesn’t drive much. $2 in electric and she gets about 80 miles out of it driving locally. AC works just fine here in FL, tho I hear in TX on super hot days it may have trouble keeping up.

One nice feature is that, while it’s plugged in, you can set it up to turn on the AC so the car is nicely chilled when you come out on a hot day to go somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  15. M&P15T

M&P15T All Hail King Kona

This;

Tesla was built on billions of $$ of our ****ing tax-payer dollars. It's a complete and utter bad joke.

If the free market wants EVs, then they can have them. Creating the industry through one person's fleecing of the American tax-payer is another matter all together.

cbetts1, czsmithGT and evlbruce like this.
  16. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

the only problem I have with EVs is my tax dollars being spent to subsidize. in fact, I don't like subsidized anything. let the free market decide.

Syclone0538, czsmithGT and FullClip like this.
  17. nerr

nerr

Amazon Prime has a 'Tesla Road Trip' documentary. Some interesting information. Takes 50 minutes to fully recharge battery. There were some places in western US where they could not go because there was not a charging station within range. They had a door malfunction and fixed it themselves with help on the phone with Tesla. At one point, they had to deviate from planned stop with a charging station and almost ran out of juice before getting to a charging station: car automatically turned off AC and non-essential stuff and kept warning them of impending juice outage. But they really liked the ride and engine power.

cbetts1 likes this.
  18. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Less fun to drive? 0-60 in 2.4 to 6 seconds? Let's see your truck do that.

People need to get over this myth that EVs are "much dirtier". If someone doesn't like them, fine, but don't perpetuate untruths.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamese...ally-better-for-the-environment/#3704053776d2

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  19. nerr

nerr

It will be interesting to see what happens as EV's get more popular. Our already overloaded (think major city brownouts that happen now) electric grid is going to need upgrading AND added capacity. Will green energy be able to keep up with just the new electric demand of using EV's, let alone take over from non-green power generation? How much lithium will it take to satisfy the battery demand?

Not saying it can be done, but doubt if it's going to be easy and doubtful it will ever be as cheap as current technology (unless of course the government creates artificial costs by doing more banning).

So if we are going to do it, get ready for paying out the nose for breathing that expensive cleaner air (oh, and China and India will still be cranking out CO2).

20. as400guy1

as400guy1

I dont hate EV's. I hate coal rollers.

Syclone0538 likes this.