Why the Glock 19?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ntech, Feb 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

All of the Above.

2. Mako72401

Mako72401

I love the size, and my 23 is one of my favorite handguns. 19 is at the top of my list for next purchases.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010

3. hamburger

hamburger

I'm still new to Glock (new to gun actually) but can you just swap barrels and get 9mm mags to make it a Glock 19 with the Glock 23 stamp on the slide?

Or are there any differences with the internals (aside from barrel and mag) between the .40 glocks vs 9mm glocks?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  4. way2fast

way2fast

Well aside from all the goodies ALL glocks share.....

The 19 (23, 32) compact size frames offer a balance size that "fits" many people. The size allows concealability for many people yet large enough to be considered a "duty size" weapon. Magazine capacity is ample for the frame size (15 rounds in 9mm).

Also the G19 has been around for quite a while and has amassed quite a following.

Caliber specifics for the 9mm: The 9mm has been around for a while, usually can be purchased relatively inexpensively (compared with other calibers), comes in many bullet configurations and is a proven Self Defense round. Also, the 9mm cartridge is quite manageable to shoot accurately for many many people.

The G19 is that old reliable car that will get you where you want to go every time and simple enough and the right size for most of the people you know to drive.

5. Shock & Awe

Shock & Awe

+1 Couldn't have said it better myself.

6. Highplainsman

Highplainsman

To all of the above, ME TOO!!!!!!

7. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

8. Cambo

Cambo

1. Fits my hands well
    2. 15 round mags(important in NJ)
    3. Accurate
    4. Lightweight
    5. Simple to use
    6. Simple to maintain
    7. Super reliable

9. onalandline

onalandline Me Got Gun!

My G19 arrived at Cabela's from OMB Guns this morning. It is now with me at home! I got it at LEO pricing for $398.20 + $30 shipping + $35 Cabela's transfer fee, for a total of $463.20. I am not a LEO, but I am an airline pilot, and many gun retailers will extend LEO pricing to military, TSA, commercial pilots, etc. You just have to ask and provide proof of your credentials. My next gun will more than likely be a Springfield Armory gun of some sort. I already confirmed that I can get them at their LEO pricing. It doesn't hurt to check. I just wish that the Cabela's five minutes from my house would extend LEO pricing. Oh well, can't win them all.

10. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

The only real downside to the 19 comes if and when you expand the collection. It's popular because it's a compromise. When you want to specialize, it is less than the best choice for most ways in which you will use a pistol. If you want to CC, the 26 will do a better job. If you want to carry OWB, the 17 has higher capacity and a longer barrel for higher velocity and greater accuracy. IMO, if you know you are going to eventually own more than one in the same cal, go full size+sub.

11. CynicX

CynicX

I agree with this 100%.

I'd prefer a longer barrel for a 9mm round. BUT I definitely prefer the size of the G19 vs the G17. The mid size fit my hand like a glove.

12. Adionik

Adionik

G26 > G19

I said it!

I love the 19, fits like a glove. But the G26 is cooler...:rofl:

13. G19 DB

G19 DB

G19 was my first glock. Large capacity and good for concealed carry. The gun just always works. I cant tell you how many rounds I've fired out of it (1000+) and I have not had a jam. Feels good in my hand. Great balance, nice recoil, quick recovery for follow up shots, very economical ammo. That is why I luv my G19!

14. GuySDS

GuySDS

Great size and capacity, I love mine. I never hear anyone talk about TFO's night sights but I really like mine. I would definitely suggest one for CCW.

15. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Great size and is extemely reliable and pretty darn accurate. 15+1 rounds of 9mm isn't too shabby. As for disadvantages, other than someone saying the 9mm round isn't enough, they're making some pretty mean 9mm SD loads these days. With proper shot placement, which a 9mm lends itself too, by having less recoil, and being able to get back on target quicker, and having a 15+1 capacity, I don't see too many disadvantages. Ammo is going to be cheaper and readily available too.

16. AustinTx

AustinTx

I don't own any compact Glocks. There is so little difference in weight and size that it doesn't bother me. If it's not possible to conceal the full size, I go to a sub-compact (G33).

The full size just fits my hands better.

17. WolfePack01

WolfePack01

I went with the G23. Same exact size gun only 2 less rounds with more BANG!

18. WolfePack01

WolfePack01

G23 & G19 same price too. Although 9mm ammo is less expensive.

19. W4CNG

W4CNG

I bought a G26 11 years ago. Shot it 3K rounds. Carried it sometimes. Bought several Video's from Training Schools across the country. The gun of choice from the videos is the G19. Small compact and holds lots or ammo. I traded my G26 for a G19 in 2008 and bought it's Twin last year with a GSSF Certificate. Both guns rock along with their 35+ Mags....