close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why the beretta hate?

Discussion in 'Beretta Club' started by FEDLEO, Mar 6, 2010.

1. FEDLEO

FEDLEO I'm the rootenist tootenist shootenist

I have a couple of Berettas myself and love them both. I have a M9A1 and a PX4. They would be amoung the last two that I would give up beyond a doubt. I trained extensively on the M9 in the military. I qualified with it 4 times a year. I loved it. Never shot less then expert with it.

I started a new Federal LE job about a year ago and was surprised to find out my Dept uses the Beretta:supergrin:. When I went to FLETC nothing changed. I still qualified expert with the gun. I really like my berettas and like I said they are amoung my favorite. Yet you see all these people hating on them all the time. Usually they claim to be military or former military.

I just don't get it. They are IMO one of the best weapons on the market. Certainly one of the most tested and as long as a good magazine is in it I have never had any problems. I have heard of lots of problems with cheap mags but that isn't the guns fault. So what gives why all the hate? Can someone help my curiosity some and enlighten me because I :dunno:?

2. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I think there are always haters for any brand because people want to believe that their brand gun is the best gun on the market. IF you paid more they claim you over paid. If you paid less they claim you bought crap. If your gun is bigger, they say it is too large. If you gun is smaller they say that the sight length is too close and effect practical accuracy.

But for Beretta, it really started when the M9 replaced the 1911. All those 1911 fans started bad mouthing the M9. This goes along with the statements that the 9mm is worthless and will not kill anyone.

Additionally, there are people like me. I don't have hate for the Beretta. I do not shot mine because I think other guns are better for me. Remember this is a Glock board.

3. panzer1

panzer1 NRA MEMBER

The only Beretta that I owen is the 85f in 380.(Like a baby m9) I like it good gun but everyone in the military I talked to did not like the m9.I think its the 9mm more then the gun.IMO

4. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

It will always represent the military lowering the bar.

5. bac1023

bac1023

I love my Berettas. :)

6. TcRoc

TcRoc Phillies Fan !!

I have had more Berettas than any other gun ,, I thnik I just got bored with them,,the Company cares about 1 thing only .. Military contracts..

I am excited about the Px4 Compact though ,, I had 2 full size and sold them ,,the Sub compact is a little fat bastard .. the compact looks just right and would want it in Type C ,,the wait is the killer as Beretta sucks about release dates,,,like when they state something tack 2 years on seriously

7. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

It's a lot of things. The 9mm sucks in military service because it is limited to fmj ammo. They did have a small batch of bad slides back in the 1980's, and some people never forgot the pictures of the broken slides. The military ordered a bunch of horrible aftermarket mags, and that affected some people's perception of the guns reliability. Finally, Beretta has substituted some plastic parts in place of what used to be metal parts. This lost some fans who appreciated the fact that they could still buy an all metal gun from a major manufacturer.

I'm personally still a fan of Beretta, but the public has moved away from them partly due to misconceptions and partly due to Beretta cheapening the design.

8. TcRoc

TcRoc Phillies Fan !!

Don't remember the public ever being there,,, they've never been close to a best seller in the civilian market ,, they're probably at the bottom of the list when it comes to civilian sales ,,great guns but not hot sellers.

9. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Berettas are sweet shooters. No hate here, only love.:wavey:

10. Liquid

Liquid

i love mine, especially the look of the inox. it is the gun i shoot the best. i cant wait to find a deal on steel one like bac has.

11. slewfoot

slewfoot Random Mayhem

Many people forget the 92 wasn't designed with concealed carry in mind. It is a service size pistol. I have plenty of Beretta pistols and plan to add a few more to my collection. The hate for this pistol is extremely entertaining to read in these threads.

12. ElectricZombie

ElectricZombie

I bought my first Beretta a few months ago; a police trade in 96D. Great shooter, 100% reliable, all metal and ergonomic. (To me anyway.) So far, I'm impresessed.

13. themighty9mm

themighty9mm

I love all 6 of my 92's I have 2 or 2 more in the plans

14. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

I love my Beretta 92, but today it is quite archaic.

-Heavy
    -DA/SA being replaced by light continuous DAO triggers (or 1911s)
    -Fairly thick grip
    -Not very ergonomic (I think it's fine actually)
    -Expensive factory magazines (at least compared to Glock, etc)
    -Stigma of replacing venerable 1911 (meaning it will be hated no matter what it was. SIG would of been hated if they had won the contract probably)
    -Stigma of the politics involved in winning the military contract
    -Stigma of early teething problems: cracked slides, locking blocks failing, bad magazines due to sand/debris
    -Not a very big aftermarket parts market (at least I think)
    -fixed front sight has been a issue with me (my white dot is now a old yellowish dot... :crying: )

Besides all that, I LOVE my 92FS. My first gun ever. I don't shoot it as often as my Glocks, but I'll never get rid of it! I think I'll be buried with it :supergrin:

15. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A two in thepink and a stump in the rump

i have a 1934, love it! besides the fact it was my fathers and has centemental value, its a great built pistol and still looks brand new almost 50 years after its manufacture. ive always liked the m9. for a servicepistol the 1911 just didnt have the capaicty.

16. mesteve2

mesteve2

I love their shoot guns.:tongueout:
    Smith and wesson make some fine revolvers.

Pistols I like Glock, FN Herstal .45, Sig 229 .357 sig, :tongueout:and that is it.
    :tongueout:

17. M1a65

M1a65

Ah, maybe cuz this is a Glock site? Mine gives me a warm fuzzy though...

18. srd

srd

I own a 92 and a 96. The 92 has probobly had over 9,000 rounds through it with hardly a problem. When my son went in the military they asked if he had ever shot a Beretta ? Yeah about 5,000 rounds through my dads. He qualified expert with it. I use my 92 as a carry gun once in a while. Put a Barsto in it and watch the groups magically shrink.

19. beretta-neo

beretta-neo

I actually use my 92FS as my concealed carry gun. I st\witched over to it from a USPc45 last Sept. The grip size was almost the same as the USPc - and, on various range trips, I always found myself shooting better with fullsize guns.

As much as I love 45s, I can shoot a 9mm consistently more accurately (as well as shoot longer before fatigue sets in, but this wouldn't be an issue in a self defense situation).

Anyway, I have two pretty expensive 1911s, and I even considered carrying my full size Special Forces Ed Brown. But, with hogue rubber grip panels, I find that the Beretta fits my hand perfectly. I like the stickness of the grips, and the feel of the undercut in the trigger guard (where it meets the front strap). I also like the lighter weight when compared to a stainless 1911.

In the past year, I have started to do more 1 handed shooting - as this would be a very likely scenario in a concealed carry self defense situation. I find I can shoot much better 1 handed with my Beretta than I can with a 45 1911.

So, as much as I love my two 1911s - The Beretta is what I shoot the best. Only other gun I shoot as well is my Walther P99. But, it does have more recoil - and the only way I have found to get that "rubber grippyness" is with a rubber innertube around the grip (the Hogue slip on grips for polymer guns make the grip too fat).

So, my Beretta 92FS does double duty as my daily carry gun, and my night stand gun (it has trijicon night sights)

20. wingsprint

wingsprint

They build fine handguns, rifles and shotguns. No hate here. In fact, the sweetest shooting compact pistol I have ever owned is a Beretta Cougar in 9mm.

Have you ever noticed that most gun hate comes from people who do not even own the brand they hate? just asking...