Why spaz over castle nut staking?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by dla, Apr 16, 2018 at 6:15 PM.

1. dla

dla

I see people getting all excited over the staking of the castle nut. I dont understand the excitement. Is this just a mall-ninja subject that normal people can ignore?

Btw, I had a castle nut come loose once - tightened it with my bare hand and never gave it another thought till I got home and tightened it properly .

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Cuz it’s mil spec, yo!!!

garya1961, Biggsly, pgg00 and 4 others like this.

3. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

why spaz over gas key staking? At least one top tier BCG manufacturer will not stake gas keys?

Steel Head, Brass3 and Jed Cooper like this.
  4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Yes.

In their minds, it might come loose while they are in an all-out, day-long gun battle against ISIS, the KGB, the CIA, the FBI, real ninjas, zombies, etc.

5. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I've had castle nuts walk off. Shuts the gun down cold.

Fortunately it takes all of 20 seconds to do properly.

Steel Head, Paul53, Brass3 and 4 others like this.
  6. fastbolt

fastbolt

Before deciding whether it's important for you and your rifle, perhaps some thought might be given to whether the rifle is just going to be a leisure/fun/range rifle, or employed as a dedicated defensive weapon.

It's a potential inconvenience to have the weapon stop functioning normally in one situation, and possibly a life-ending problem in the other situation.

Fortunately, some major rifle makers have already given some thought to this potential dilemma and have addressed it for their customers.

Nanuk, SRT Shaft, dudel and 5 others like this.
  7. Jed Cooper

Jed Cooper Silver Member

Good advice, I stake castle nuts and gas keys simply because it works and takes just a few seconds. It's something I don't have to worry about coming loose.

Paul53, Brass3 and garymolly1 like this.
  8. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

No reason to spaz. I don't stake castle nuts, pure and simple. I might change my mind tomorrow, but that's my call. I won't attempt to question someone who does. That's their call.

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Replace the castle nut with the PWS system

10. jstrange

jstrange

Those that have had to try remove a bunch of castle nuts that have been heavily staked likely aren’t huge fans after just a couple. I prefer just a little loc-tite.

I once attended a Colt armored class where Colt was nice enough to replace the instrutor’s usual box of well worn, easy to work on rifles with a bunch of brand new tightly staked guns. He spent half the first day grinding on them.

17&27 and fastbolt like this.
  11. fastbolt

fastbolt

Yeah, whenever a student/cop from another agency has brought a personally-owned AR to a 24hr rifle class, and the nut works loose and causes problems, it's been a quick trip back to the bench for one of the instructors/armorers to correct the problem.

12. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Its a 10 second job. It takes longer to find the tools than do the job and its easily overcome with a castle nut wrench if you ever have to take it apart. You can use threadlocker or epoxy I guess but those are a pain to remove relative to uncrewing a staked castle nut. There's no reason not to do it...no advantage at all...

NiteGoat, Leigh, Brass3 and 2 others like this.
  13. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

I've never met a staked castle nut that couldn't be taken off with just a little effort. Hell, don't even need a vice most of the time.

Brass3 and Walk Soft like this.
  14. fastbolt

fastbolt

Yep. Properly staked in a couple spots doesn't mean welded. ;)

It's staked to resist forces generated during usage, not the attention of someone with a wrench.

Nanuk and pgg00 like this.
  15. jstrange

jstrange

Well, being he was an official instructor for Colt, and had been for many years, I figured he knew what he was doing. A few minutes is not bad when you are doing 1 rifle I guess, but when you are doing 30 it’s a bigger deal. I have also seen several other agency rifles from Colt that were a bear to get off. Besides we can’t all be manly men like you guys who break them loose with just a thumb and pinky finger in under 10 seconds. ;)

Pierre! and william the great like this.
  16. SH10151

SH10151

It takes no time to do with a punch, it may or may not keep it from coming off, and contrary to popular belief, can be easily defeated with a wrench.

17. SH10151

SH10151

Wrap the castle nut wrench handle with duct tape, make sure it’s secure and firmly against the castle nut, and then tap it with a rubber mallet until it comes off. It doesn’t require the strength of 100 men, I could show a 10-year-old how to do it.

Pierre! likes this.
  18. jstrange

jstrange

Damn, a wrench you say? I never would have guessed...

That’s how we got them off, but I promise you it took more that a gentle tap. I guess we should have found a 10 year old to get it done for us.

treg and -JCN- like this.
  19. FourSpot

FourSpot

If a manufacturer is selling a complete rifle and parts are not staked, to me that is an indication of them cutting corners. Did they torque the barrel nut? Did they check head space? Did they QC the parts and function check before putting it into a box? Probably not if they can't take 15 seconds to stake the castle nut.

Leigh likes this.
  20. fastbolt

fastbolt

The way Colt does their factory staking can make it harder to remove (even after loosening) than the typical field/bench staking, and grinding the staked/peened spots makes it a lot easier for new armorers to work with the nuts when repeatedly disassembling/assembling the carbines throughout the days of the class.

I think it was in my first Colt class that the instructor ended up doing some grinding on a CN after the first day on at least 1 of the rifles, to make it easier for students the next day.

In the 3 other AR classes I've attended (2 S&W and a retired/private trainer) the models provided/used, or someone's personally-owned/agency issued AR's, made it a non-problem.

jstrange likes this.