Why so much love for Wilson 47D 1911 mags?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ElevatedThreat, Feb 4, 2010.

1. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

I do not understand why the Wilson 47D 1911 mag is apparently so popular.

I owned exactly one of these mags, many years ago, and within the first few range trips the little plastic ears on the mag base plate failed, allowing it to forcefully eject the mag base, spring, follower, and rounds all out the bottom.

I tossed it in the garbage in disgust, and vowed never to own another mag with only plastic ears holding the baseplate on, ever again, if I could find a sturdy metal alternative.

I used Colt 1911 factory mags, or the equivalent thereof, with perfect satisfaction for decades.

Lately, I've had great luck with Kimber's new Kim-Pro Tac-Mags with the choice of interchangeable base pad height, all with a robust metal plate holding the innards in, while still allowing disassembly for easy cleaning.

Am I missing some great Zen secret of Wilson 47Ds, or do people just like the slots in the side because they look cool?

Did I get the only Wilson 47D mag ever to spontaneously disassemble itself due to those flimsy cheap plastic baseplate ears?

-ET

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Because they just WORK, every time! I've never been let down by a WC 47d

3. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

I have seven of them that I have owned since the early eighties. They each have thousands of rounds through them, and I've never even replaced the springs. Yours is the only problem I have ever heard of. That's a pretty phenominal record. You got the only bad one out of thousands of them. I guess there had to be one. Better you than me.

4. capnjim01

capnjim01

+1 they work

5. crash09

crash09

I've never had a Wilson mag of any kind fail.

6. up1911fan

up1911fan

Exactly, they work.

7. Boats

Boats Not Assimilated

The 47D is the pinnacle of 1911 eight round magazine design. Never a problem.

8. ronin.45

ronin.45

I've got a dozen and they all work every time. The follower design is by far the best.

9. fastbolt

fastbolt

I guess I'll be the odd man out.

Over the years I've slowly gotten rid of all but a couple of my Wilson mags. I seldom even use those for range work (they're mostly lost among various boxes of mags I have in different rooms).

I didn't do so on a whim.

I've come to prefer a small selection of other 1911-style mags for serious application.

I've met other firearms instructors, armorers and 1911 users who have come to feel the same way.

I don't shill mags, though, and don't have a vested interest in whatever mags someone else may desire to use.

10. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Viva Hate CLM

I use Colt 7 round magazines, cheaper and plenty reliable.

11. vantage

vantage

My Wilson 47Ds have worked flawlessly, so there's good reason to love them.

That said, my factory 7 round, Chip McCormack and Ed Brown mags have also worked flawlessly. Lately, my favorite is the Ed Brown 8-pack. They work well, feel better put together than any other mags, and fit my mag well much cleaner than the rest.

12. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I like them because they have worked well with every 1911 I have used them on except using the Officers size with my 3" Ultra CDP II.
    These work well with my Ultra CDP II so I bought three full size mags and tried them in my Les Baer TRS and got good results.
    Aside from my little Kimber with the Officers mags all of my 5" 1911s have worked fine with the Wilsons but I only load seven in them. Since the KimPro Tac mags work for you then you might as well keep using them especially since they cost less in addition to working well.

13. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

At last count, I have between 30-40 Wilson 47D mags. I have had issues with 1911s that were solved by getting rid of Kimber, Colt, & other mags and going to the Wilson 47D. Mine have performed flawlessly.I run them in my carry gun...nuff said.

14. ede

ede Bama's Friend

only mags i use in 9mm and 10mm are wilsons. never found other mags that worked in my guns. in .45 i have lot of different mags but mostly mec gars.

15. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Tripp Cobra's are as good as Wilsons. I use both.

16. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

I own a couple and they work just fine, but if you pull one apart next to a McCormick Powermag, the spring looks like a joke. Again, never had a problem and it's easy to replace a spring, but going forward, I'll stick with the powermags.

17. Novocaine

Novocaine

I have two Wilsons. Neither one worked until I replaced internals by Tripp kits.

18. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

They're as smooth as greased butter too...:supergrin:

19. CAcop

CAcop

I think the reason why Wilson gets the good rep is because 1) he builds high end guns and 2) from what it sounds like (I am not that old) he was the first to come out with reliable 8 round mags.

I for one have not been all that impressed with the Wilsons I have. Occasionally I will get feeding problems with them. It is rare but it happens. The old welded baseplate mags I have never skip a beat though. Right now I am branching out into Chip's mags just to see how they are. I was less than thrilled with my Actmags (who also make the same mags for some of the bigger names) when the baseplates cracked in training. It might be that our range was too hard of a surface to be dropping them onto but still. A call into them got me baseplates and the advise to boil the baseplates every six months because they dry out. They are supposed to be changing up the plastic so you won't have to to that but my old wlded baseplates work fine.

The more I deal with mags the more I have come to believe JMB got it right with welded bases and 7 rounds.

20. AZ Jeff

AZ Jeff

I bought some 47 mags back in about 1984, and there was a problem with the glass-reinforced plastic baseplates cracking when dropped on concrete when loaded. (This is a common occurrence in IPSC/USPSA.)

Wilson came out with a revised baseplate, and the issue disappeared. Back when the .45 was still "king" in IPSC, most everyone ran 47 mags for two reasons--reliable and easy to clean when dropped in sand/dirt/etc. during a match.

I still have a dozen or so. While Colt and Metalform (which is the same) are good, the lack the disassembly ease of the Wilson.