Why not air-drop immediate relief supplies?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ElevatedThreat, Jan 16, 2010.

1. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

In watching the pictures from Haiti, I can't help wondering why in situations like this a few basic life-extending supplies could not be mass air-dropped almost immediately, in small packages, saturating the area?

I realize that it would not be practical to drop huge pallets of supplies, since these might kill people when they hit, and then become the objects of fights or death-struggles as desperate people tried to lay claim to, hoard, or sell them.

But why not air-drop tens of thousands of individual lightweight packages of food, water, space blankets, and basic medical supplies, on small fluorescent Mylar drag chutes? By saturating the area with an overwhelming number of these individual portions, no one would want or need to fight over or hoard the supplies. They'd be laying around all over for the taking.

It would seem a very quick way to get a lot of basic supplies dispersed to a lot of needy people in a hurry.

In a situation like this one in Haiti, or in Katrina, some energy bars, 12 oz. bladders of water, Gator-aid or baby formula, disposable diapers, reflective foil blankets, fuel pellets and matches, some anti-biotic pills and powder, and some Imodium anti-diarrhea pills would go a long way right now, and could be scatter-dropped in large amounts without clearing the airports or roads, or having to insert teams that need support and security to operate.

This air drop would happen in the first 24 hours after a disaster.

Maybe the air force could even create a special "relief plane" design, based on a very large, long-range cargo plane, and custom-designed to mass-drop huge amounts of these supplies accurately from low level.

Any reason this would not work?

-ET

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  2. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

Gangs would chop your hands off and steal the supplies.
    No one knows how to use the supplies in a humanitarian way,they need a babysitter to spoon feed them.

3. 540mope

540mope

machetes are urgently needed

4. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

This. Think of the opening scenes from Blackhawk Down.

5. security79

security79 Gene Frenkle

I have to agree with the others. The gangs would definitely take control of said supplies and the innocent would receive nothing and continue to suffer. The only way to do this is through controlled distribution with armed guards in place.

6. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

YES
    Druglords/gangs use starvation as a weapon

7. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Ever seen the idiots scramble and fight over glass bead necklaces tossed off the floats at Mardi Gras parades in New Orleans? Imagine what the chaos would be like if you mutliplied that by a million, and that those glass beads could mean the differance between life and death.

Air dropping supplies may work when people have some type of order, but it's an "every man for themselves" situation there.

8. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

To be fair they are air dropping some supplies now.I think it's to lead people away from the area they are in.Trying to thin out the crowd to control disease is my guess.

9. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Cold hearted it may be but they have the government, or more accurately don't have one, that they'll tolerate. The way to make them self sufficient is give 'em nada and make them make it work, on their own hind legs like humans can. Giving them aid keeps them enslaved. It's wrong. If you have a JOB to give somebody, that's not 'aid'. That's morally correct, and works long term. Slavery don't.

10. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

Kinda like the welfare system in this country?

11. holyjohnson

holyjohnson

+1 CNN would love video of that.
    if it was a scattered drop of carb bars and aid kits maybe but most would get hung up in the trees or lost in rubble.
    but 1 pile of MREs and water would be a nightmare.

12. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

We did airdrop MREs in Afghanistan and Iraq.

It is hard though to airdrop supplies into a city, much easier out in the country.

The problem is that is not how we are setup to deliver supplies, so switching over to it is a huge cost / logistics nightmare.

13. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

And the Afghans complained the food was to salty and was giving them diarrhea.
    Who could forget that warm fuzzy feeling we as Americans got that day.

14. JBnTX

JBnTX 2 Timothy 2:15

Airdrops?

The Obama adminstration isn't going to do anything they can't take credit for
    and brag about for the next 3 years.

Airdrops could be from anyone with no news media
    on the ground to record it!

15. bearshoegun

bearshoegun

16. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Sorry...my first "fixed it for ya'" reply,,,,it was too good a straight line to pass up!:supergrin:

May not work so good in Haiti, but in some places in the world, cats are "the other, other white meat"!!:supergrin:

17. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

Everyone is saying that people would fight and kill each other over the air-dropped supplies. But in my OP I specified that the air drop would have to be large enough that the supplies would be laying around literally everywhere.

That was to avoid the objection that people would hoard or fight over the supplies.

And the reason for using the florescent Mylar 'chutes would be to make the supplies highly visible no matter where they landed.

I was expecting the biggest objection from people to be that you could not drop enough supplies from airplanes to truly saturate the area all at once.

I wonder if for example a C5A Galaxy would be large enough? Several could be used in tandem.

A dedicated, custom-designed relief-dropping plane could use airborne sensors and a computer system to appropriately dispense the supplies, as the plane(s) flew a dispersal pattern.

-ET

18. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

People would still fight, kill and horde the supplies. Its just how they are.

Also, getting airplanes to Haiti to drop them, and then return to someplace to refuel would be a challenge in and of itself.

19. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

It may seem a rather minor problem for us to figure out, but what about a population of people who can't even read the instructions? The literacy rate isn't very high there. Quite low in fact.

Like I said, it may seem minor to us, but what does one do with a package they can't tell what's in, or what it's for? Can't tell how to open, how to prepare, or how to assemble. It's got to make a difference.

It's like dropping packages here that we've never seen, and the instructions are in Russian. Got to be confusing to folks already stunned into disbelief.

20. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

They'd figure out how to get it open. Doesn't really matter what the wrapper says, they'd open it up and figure it out what it was.