Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.thetruckersreport.com/two-truckers-put-highway-shooter-target/

On April 7th, a shooting occurred on Interstate 70 Eastbound in Montgomery County, Missouri. The driver of a Volkswagon Jetta fired multiple shots at a van with three people inside. At least six shots impacted the van, with two hitting the rear tires. The vehicle was disabled and came to rest in the median.

According to a press release issued by the Missouri State Highway Patrol, it was then that two unnamed truck drivers who witnessed the attacked pulled their vehicles next to the van, shielding it from further gunfire. The suspect then fled the scene.

Just a short while later, troopers located the suspect’s vehicle and arrested Chad Michael Kennedy, 28. When questioned, Kennedy told police that he had observed that the van looked suspicious. He followed it for a while and decided that “I could not allow the vehicle to leave the state of Missouri.”

Kennedy allegedly pulled up next to the van and motioned for them to pull over. When they did not, he displayed a rifle. Finally, he opened fire on the van.

Kennedy had been charged with three counts of assault first-degree, one count of armed criminal action, and six counts of unlawful use of a weapon.

Was he worried they were not social distancing?

·
NRA Life Member
66,537 Posts
Sounds like he was a psycho and needs to be off the street, but for attempted murder, you have to prove he intended to kill them and that would be very unlikely. Looks like the evidence would be that he was trying to stop them from leaving the state and he was crazy as a ****house rat.

What's his name on Glock Talk, so I can add him to my ignore list?

·
10mm Philosopher
6,110 Posts
He decided the vehicle should not leave the state of Missouri.
An unregistered traffic enforcement agent just doing his 'job'? :whistling:

Clearly a dude with waaay too much time on his hands.

Sorta reminds me of that unregistered handicapped parking enforcement agent in Fla. :upeyes:

·
NRA Life Member
66,537 Posts
Reactions: Caver 60

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Sounds like he was a psycho and needs to be off the street, but for attempted murder, you have to prove he intended to kill them and that would be very unlikely. Looks like the evidence would be that he was trying to stop them from leaving the state and he was crazy as a ****house rat.

What's his name on Glock Talk, so I can add him to my ignore list?
I know of a guy in Michigan that went on a drunk shooting bender with an AR. He ended up sentenced to 10 years because he got attempted murder because he shot at an occupied vehicle. Pretty reasonable that someone knows they are likely to kill someone firing at an occupied vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
NRA Life Member
66,537 Posts
I know of a guy in Michigan that went on a drunk shooting bender with an AR. He ended up sentenced to 10 years because he got attempted murder because he shot at an occupied vehicle. Pretty reasonable that someone knows they are likely to kill someone firing at an occupied vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's possible, but far from a sure thing, so prosecutors usually substitute charges that don't require proof of what a guy was thinking to convict.

If this guy had said, "I was trying to kill them before they left the state" when he was arrested, attempted murder would be a likely charge.

·
Registered
18,059 Posts
All states do and no state does. Criminal attempt is a separate statute that modifies the murder statute (same as everywhere, I believe). In Missouri: https://law.justia.com/codes/missouri/2005/t38/5640000011.html
Missouri uses Assault First Degree for a failed attempt at killing just as GA uses Aggravated assault. No one is prosecuted under the criminal attempt statute for murder as other laws have the elements covering those criminal acts.

Missouri 565.050. 1. A person commits the offense of assault in the first degree if he or she attempts to kill or knowingly causes or attempts to cause serious physical injury to another person.

Georgia 16-5-21. Aggravated assault
(a) A person commits the offense of aggravated assault when he or she assaults:
(1) With intent to murder, to rape, or to rob;
(2) With a deadly weapon or with any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury;

·
NRA Life Member
66,537 Posts
Missouri uses Assault First Degree for a failed attempt at killing just as GA uses Aggravated assault. No one is prosecuted under the criminal attempt statute for murder as other laws have the elements covering those criminal acts.

Missouri 565.050. 1. A person commits the offense of assault in the first degree if he or she attempts to kill or knowingly causes or attempts to cause serious physical injury to another person.

Georgia 16-5-21. Aggravated assault
(a) A person commits the offense of aggravated assault when he or she assaults:
(1) With intent to murder, to rape, or to rob;
(2) With a deadly weapon or with any object, device, or instrument which, when used offensively against a person, is likely to or actually does result in serious bodily injury;
Kentucky law is the same. Both Kentucky and Missouri do prosecute people for attempted murder.

First example I see from the Mo. court of appeals: "Following a bench trial, defendant was convicted in the Circuit Court, Newton County, Calvin Holden, J., of attempted second-degree murder and armed criminal action for shooting her husband. Defendant appealed." State v. Halverson, 541 S.W.3d 1 (Mo. Ct. App. 2018).

I agree that it's rare, because an assault charge is easier to prove.

·
Values. Can't be bought.
13,146 Posts
Trump said it. Thank God for truckers.

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,058 Posts
Improper social distancing. The two passengers were necking

As he had never done that with a live female person....
God I hope pics of him necking with a dead female person don't surface.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts