close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why no screen saver or power down?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by tpiini, Apr 2, 2006.

1. tpiini

tpiini

I have a fairly new Dell XPS400. I recently realized that no matter how I set the screen saver or power options, nothing happens. Ever.

I can set the screen saver to come on in one minute and hours later it's still not on. Same with the power features. I can "Preview" the screen saver and when I move the mouse it goes away as expected. Nothing will come on or shut down when it's supposed to however.

Any suggestions?

2. Toyman

Toyman

Somthing is running that is fooling the computer into thinking you're busy using it.

Try Shutting down each unneeded process one at a time and see if you can determine which is preventing the SS and Pwr features.

3. tpiini

tpiini

That's kind of what I was thinking, but in lay terms, as I'm not terribly computer literate. I'm assuming I use the task manager or whatever you call it to just click things off???

4. tpiini

tpiini

Well, I screwed with software for HOURS. Nothing.

Then I umplugged my Microsoft cordless mouse. That was it! I screwed with all the settings and couldn't get the computer to do its thing as long as the mouse was plugged in. So now I'm using the Dell USB mouse and all works well.

Any clue if this would be a "defect" or a "feature" Microsoft built in???

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

It's probably using some sort of keepalives, and the OS thinks it's you. Check if there is such an option anywhere. Maybe you can turn it off.

6. malkore

malkore

if you have an optical mouse, clean it. make sure its not causing the cursor to jump every few seconds, defeating your idle time.
    i've seen a since arm hair cause an optical mouse to dance the cursor all over the desktop.

i've seen lint make it look the the cursor has palsy.

7. tpiini

tpiini

It looks like it's something in the mouse's receiver. I took the batteries out of the mouse and it still will not go the screensaver. But when I unplug the receiver from the USB port it will go into screensaver at the proper time.

I've looked all over the mouse software and can't find anything that I can change to address this issue. It's a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 if anyone knows anything about this particular model. Natrually, I can't find ANYTHING on Microsoft's site where I can get any help.

Thanks for the continuing help,
    Tom

8. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Heh was gonna ask if you used a cordless mouse or not.

Don't have one myself, but have been hearing about this quirk for a few months. I assume its something to do with the signal bouncing back and forth causing it make Windows believe you're moving it.

Not sure if its something you can fix (unless you maybe turn it off when not in use, but no idea if that will help).

9. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Are you using MS's mouse utility, or just the nominal mouse drivers in the OS? If you're using the bigger version, you could try uninstalling them (or killing the process in Task Manager or msconfig) just to see if the problem goes away. None of my Logitech cordless mouses have this problem with the fat drivers or running from the default XP driver.