Why No Real Street/Trail Bikes?

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by USMCsilver, Mar 20, 2007.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

With motocross now running only 4-strokes, why don't manufacturers put that power on the street?

All they have to do is run a wiring harness, lights, and blinkers and put on some DOT rated tires and we could see some real beasts on the street.

I'm thinking about a larger CC dual-sport, but nothing is really out there that's affordable. Husky and BMW make nice d/s bikes, but I don't want to spend that much. I mean, anything would probably be better, power wise, than my Yamaha XT 225, but I would love something along the lines of a Yamaha 450 outfitted for street use.

Just seems to me like the big four would wise up and make some of their awesome motocross bikes legal for street use; anyone else agree?

2. Birddog5150

Birddog5150

Check out the Suzuki DRZ400SM

It is there DRZ400 dirtbike with street tires and blinkers..

It is a good handling bike and pretty good power once the motor is given a chance to be uncorked( intake mods,aftermarket exhaust).

Hope that helps..

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Husky, KTM, BMW and now Aprilia make dual sports that are ranging from animals to nasty beasts. And no, they're not cheap, but you are getting a lot more from these bikes than the Japanese equivalent. More power, better suspension components, etc.

There's the Suzuki DRZ400 supermoto but I don't think that it's exactly cheap either knocking at around $6000 a pop. With about two more grands you get a killer KTM supermoto or a crazy Aprilia supermoto.

4. xring04

xring04 On the Right.

yeah, but I want a low budget special.

5. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

Dual sport bikes utilize old low-performance RELIABLE powerplants. Your XT225 may have had a peak horsepower of around 17 when it was new. It's probably never had the engine opened up or rebuilt.

A modern YZ250F puts down twice the horsepower, but the price is that the maintenance interval had to be compromized to get that performance. If you were to commute an hour each day, then the YZ250F would need an engine rebuild every other week.

FWIW, many desert racers still use modern 2-stroke race bikes (KTM is really popular). We put on so many miles that the easier maintenance and more simple (cheaper) to repair engines make much more sense. Plus they are lighter, have a lower center of gravity. 2-strokes are still widely used for certain racing applications (last man standing, endurocross, etc). David Knight, likely the best off-road racer in the world, won the Red Bull "Last Man Standing" race on a KTM 300 2-stroke. :thumbsup:

Motocross races are 20-30 minutes long, so an engine that's good for 12 hours works fine. Most factory pro teams are rebuilding each bikes engine after only a couple races, and each factory rider has several bikes. Kawasaki gives Destry Abbott 10 bikes each season. The one I bought from him was used once, at the 2005 Endurocross event in Las Vegas. It had three hours on the engine, and Destry's mechanic Johnny had already rebuilt the engine. No BS.

Here's Destry racing my bike

Here's the same bike after I bought it and slapped my numbers and handguards on it.

I've ridden that bike 2X per month for a year, and have rebuilt the engine twice since getting it. I won't even discuss maintaining the forks, shock, and how many sets of tires I've replaced.

Motocross bikes are RACE machines. It's not practical to put blinkers on them and putt around town with a high-strung race engine. Even if it were available, the average Joe Blo would buy it, ride it for three months while filling up with 87 octane unleaded, never thinking to change the oil or air filter... and then the engine would scatter and the manufacturer would have a mob of PO'd customers with busted bikes.

Sheesh, motocross bikes don't even come with a warranty of any kind specifically because they are race machines. If you want them to run right, you have to invest a lot of time and money maintaining them with race appropriate oils, fuels, and maintenance. The manufacturers aren't lying when the put on that little sticker that says "This machine is intended for competition use only". It means it ain't a cruiser. ;)

Hopefully soon the manufacturers will re-address the dual-sport market and find a happy medium between the old-tech reliable low performance engines, and the modern high-performance hand-grenade in the frame race engines. :thumbsup:

6. desmo

desmo

i have a drz 400sm. change the tires to the avon distenzas and you would be suprised what it would go through.

7. Timotheous46

Timotheous46

One of my first bikes was a new 70’s BSA 500cc single cylinder half road bike and half trail bike.

The result was a bike that wasn’t very good on the road and wasn’t very good on the trials.

Perhaps lessons learned in the 70’s are why they don’t produce one now.

Tim

8. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

DC hit the nail square on the head. The MXers, be it 4 or 2 stroke, are race bikes pure and simple. Asking to have them be a daily street rider without any sacrifice would be like wanting to take an F1 car cross-country driving. The Honda 4-stroke MXers only have one piston ring and almost no skirt (taken from F1 technology). It looks more or less like a flat disk. They are required to be rebuilt as often and sometimes even more often as the 2-strokes.

Now would what you want be cool? Hell yeah. It is just that most people would not A. know how much maintenence is required with those bikes, and B. would not care and just ride it until it was a worn out POS (which would only be about a year or so).