Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm pretty new here and was wondering why Glock doesn't make a competition .45 to compliment the Models 34 and 35 9mm and .40 calibers.. Have been looking at the Springfield XDM 5.25" .45 that seems to be very popular.

·
Banned
18,888 Posts
We've all been asking for one for years. But they just won't make a Glock 1911. :steamed:

:rofl:

·
Registered
59,812 Posts
Someone needs to post "the" picture

·
Glock Guy
2,142 Posts
Because only the 1%er elitists would be able to afford the ammo cost.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
What advantage would a .45 have over a 9mm or .40 in competition?
It seems there would only be disadvantages.... :dunno:

I don't get the whole single-stack full size .45 either. Everyone *****es about the GAP's capacity, then want a single-stack .45...... :confused:

·
Registered
13,643 Posts
I always like the ide of a long slide 45, but realistically it has no application in the more popular games. Gives up capacity to the .40 and if you're scored minor the 9mm is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
22,828 Posts
Me and a couple other IDPA competitors (including the CDP champion) had a conversation with GLOCK at the 2007 IDPA Nationals. They asked us for ideas on what to offer, and the overwhelming response was a G21 with a slide / barrel long enough to just fit the box.

What advantage would a .45 have over a 9mm or .40 in competition?
It seems there would only be disadvantages.... :dunno:
IDPA CDP division requires a gun that fires the .45 ACP. Bowling pins is a sport that benefits the bigger .45 cartridge. When I shoot indoor GSSF, I use my G21 and I find I can be more precise than with my G34 or G17. Some find the .45 kick more manageable than the .40, so they use a .45 in USPSA Limited 10 division (where capacity is limited to 10 and 9mm isn't allowed to shoot major power factor).

·
NRA Life Member
66,976 Posts
Their triggers suck for competition.
Which would then make us wonder why people are winning overall national championships with them.

Their triggers only suck for people who don't know how to shoot them. The 1911 is the most forgiving of bad technique, because of the short trigger travel, so it'ss a gun even beginners can shoot well. Glocks, DA/SA autos, DA revolvers, etc., all require more skill with the trigger and knowledge of their pparticular trigger technique.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Which would then make us wonder why people are winning overall national championships with them.

Their triggers only suck for people who don't know how to shoot them.
I agree. theres always something to blame. skills is never in question.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
The IDPA rules don't favor the 1911 platform - by intent. People buy guns that are favored by the rules.

Back in the early '80s, the only guns being used in IPSC were 1911s, wheel guns and perhaps a Browning HiPower for 9mm. The rules favored the 1911s and .45 in particular. The stages usually had a mandatory reload after 6 rounds and this just about killed the wheel guns. But the 9mm guns never got the advantage of their increased capacity and were scored minor as well. So, if you didn't shoot a 1911 in .45, you were left at a disadvantage.

Richard

1 - 20 of 26 Posts