close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

why no five seven competitors?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by rainman33, May 14, 2012.

1. rainman33

rainman33

Even if you don't like the caliber I think most would admit a reasonably priced competitor would be a big seller. So, why hasn't anyone come up with another offering? There's also room for some improvements, more conventional safety, better ergos, etc.

2. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I agree. If you could get a Glock, XD or M&P in 5.7 and they would make it for around $500, I'd buy one. Or an 8 shot Ruger revolver in 5.7 would be cool too.

3. SunsetMan

SunsetMan Deplorable Lifetime Member

My first guess is fear of bannage. The 5.7x28 cartridge is just too controversial to invest the money on.

After that I'd have to say lack of demand. If the demand were there I'm sure there would be some competitors being made.

In my opinion the cartridge should have been made with more power to improve effectiveness. It would also be nice if the cartridge would cycle a locked breach action. As it is the cartridge just isn't powerful enough to gain the acceptance by the police and military it needs to be truly successful.

That said, I like the cartridge and love my Five-seveN.

4. ronin.45

ronin.45

The 5.7 is too long to fit in most Handguns. No major manufacturer is going to spend the money to make a whole new frame size just for that cartridge.

5. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Bottleneck rounds in a revolver = que triste, no bueno senior.

Sadly the 5.7 doesn't even fit into a 1911 grip. You would need something longer like a Coonan size frame.

An alloy framed pistol with a steel slide would be a sweeeeet shooter in 5.7

6. bac1023

bac1023

I think that's exactly what the issue is.

Its OAL is considerbaly longer than even 10mm is and would mandate a different frame.

7. bac1023

bac1023

Joe, the revovler I could see, but I can't see the others you mentioned designing a new frame just for the 5.7.

Hopefully, I'm wrong though. I'd like to see it too. :dunno:

8. SunsetMan

SunsetMan Deplorable Lifetime Member

This too. The cartridge is really too long. FN did a fantastic job of designing the Five-seveN. I have medium hands and the gun fits me fine, but may be a stretch for some.

9. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Yep. Not worth it to redesign a frame for it, and 5.7 hasn't seen widespread use to justify it, I'd bet.

I have somewhat large hands, and it feels like I'm holding a 2x4. To each their own, I suppose.

10. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

They'd be wiser to come up with a .22 Magnum auto, it'd do about the same.

The 5.7 pistol was only ever invented because of the P90, which by itself has serious issues (ballistically, not the gun itself, which runs well).

There's nothing a 5.7 does that another more common caliber doesn't do better in the civilian role.

11. Boats

Boats Not Assimilated

No demand equals no supply. It's amazing how many people don't get the fundamentals of capitalism.

12. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

I'd have to agree. To me, 5.7 only shines as an anti-personnel caliber when it's backed up by a group therapy option. I feel the same way about 4.6mm in the MP-7 - both calibers shine when a single, short trigger squeeze can put 2-5 projectiles into a very small area very quickly at close range. Both platforms are excellent in this role, but seem quite lackluster to me without full auto.

13. ParisArms

ParisArms

Kel tech PMR 30 is kinda competition. One of the main reasons is the same as to why there is no competition to the the 45 GAP. It's one company's answer to a question that was never really asked.
    FN made the caliber and gun for the military request for a replacement caliber that could be used in both a hand gun and rifle to replace the 9mm. But the military ended the testing (after FN won but H&K complained)

Sent an iPhone 4s sitting next to a Glock 17 loaded with 19 round of +P+ ammo.

14. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

I would like to see a bull barrel 10/22 in 5.7.

:cool:

15. bac1023

bac1023

That would be interesting.

16. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Very cool idea on the 5.7 revolver. Sounds like fun.

17. rainman33

rainman33

The whole point of this thread was to say; in my opinion, and at the right price point, there appears to be demand. So, why hasn't anyone come to market with a product. Now, I may be wrong, but that's why I opened a thread, for discussion. Everyone else grasped the concept and is making relevant points. It's amazing to me how many people lack basic reading comprehension skills.

To keep things on track lets start a poll. With every future post state whether you would buy a 5.7 caliber pistol if it was priced like a glock. I'd take one.

18. bac1023

bac1023

I think there would defintely be some demand for a reasonably priced 5.7 pistol. However, I just don't think anyone is going to design a new frame to find out.

19. arclight610

arclight610

Armscor's .22 TCM is about the closest to "competition" right now. Different cartridge, but same concept. Plus, you can use the plentiful .223 brass to make TCM brass.

20. Noots

Noots

I'm pretty sure the whole controversy around the cartridge is dead, hell most people who look at one in Gander Mountain have no idea what the round even is these days.