Why must I use an FFL to _send_ gun to Glock for warranty work from California?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by boulez, Jan 7, 2016.

1. boulez

boulez highspeednodrag

I called Glock customer service this morning to return a G17 Gen 2 with a crack in the frame for warranty work. The customer service representative said that I must have an FFL send them the gun. I asked why I could not send it directly and he said that's just the way it is. I understand that Glock would need to send the repaired gun back to me via FFL as it will have a new frame with a new serial number and need to be registered and DROS'd to me but I cannot understand why I can't send it to them directly.

Anyone have a similar experience or know why this is?
    Thanks.

2. c45man

c45man

I can only relate my experience with sending a ruger back to the handgun division service center. I mailed the weapon directly to the ruger facility via UPS, could of used another private carrier as well. One can send a firearm to an FFL, which of course includes an entity with a manufacturers license like glock or ruger, without the need to use another FFL as the user. Yes, with the new frame, the gun would have to be returned to your local FFL for the appropriate paperwork.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016

3. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

I've returned several frames directly to Glock for replacement, and have received the replacements directly at my home. I am not an FFL.

4. flyover

flyover

If you are in California, it probably has something to do with the law there.

glide, Buckshot Barry and janice6 like this.
  5. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Sounds like a Californicated law. I've returned Glocks directly and received them back, but there was no change of serial number.
    Moon

6. janice6

janice6

I also have sent guns back to the manufacturer via UPS and received them in return, without a FFL. I would guess it's the State you're in.

7. L-2

L-2

Generally, you're able to use UPS or FEDEX to ship your gun back to Glock.
    One major issue I'm wondering is will Glock replace your frame with another 2nd Gen frame? If so, I don't know the 2nd Gen is on http://certguns.doj.ca.gov . If not, can Glock replace the frame with a Gen3 NOT MADE IN THE USA as I'm fairly sure the Made-in-USA frames are also not on the "Roster".

I believe another call back to Glock is in order to discuss what is actually going to occur.

8. BDH

BDH

If they send you a replacement frame, you'll have to DROS the gun again. Can't go directly back to you, but can to your dealer. You'll have to pay to DROS it again.

Bruce

9. glide

glide Just sayin'

Wow, that is so hardcore to send a firearm back to the factory via a FFL. Really ridiculous law or rule. California makes things hard for honest law abiding gun owners. It's worst there than Hawaii's gun laws.

10. L-2

L-2

California is not requiring a person to send a firearm back to the manufacturer (or to any other FFL) from an FFL. Apparently, one person at Glock is telling the OP to do so.
    I've sent three Glocks back to Glock in Smyrna, GA.

The first one I used the dealer as they only charged my $25 for the packaging and shipping charges. The bad part was the FFL didn't get to shipping it right away and it took ~week fo it to get to Glock. As I received a new frame, it did have to come back through a dealer and I used the same dealer for the "re-dros'ing".

With the second Glock, I shipped it myself, but it cost ~$80. The good part was Glock had it the next day. Again, I needed a new frame and Glock coordinated with me as to which dealer I wanted to use. Again, I used the same dealer for the "re-dros'ing".

The third Glock I shipped back resulted in the same gun/frame being returned and it was shipped directly back to me. As there was no DRoS involved, the entire shipping, repair, and return took ~week, but did cost me ~$80 again.

The original poster's main issue will be whether or not an off-roster frame will be returned. I don't know if a Gen2 is on roster or not. That's one question.
    Another question is can Glock ship a non-USA Gen3 frame/gun back to the OP? If this is the case, then there should be no problem re-dros'ing the "new" gun.
    If it's a USA-made Gen3 frame, do check with the FFL, but it's my understanding USA-made frames are not on the Roster. But check with the FFL as the FFL is the one subject to any California audit.
    There's a bit more, but it shouldn't have anything to do with the mere shipment BACK to Glock. It probably has more to do with what's being shipped back to the OP via an FFL as the OP already told us he's getting a new frame.

If the OP can get (via an FFL) a new Austrian-made Gen3 frame in exchange for his Gen2 frame, I see no problems. Anything other than that, check with the FFL. I'd say the person at Glock is wrong to require the FFL to ship the original Gen2 gun back. California does get complicated. Do understand that California is not making the OP ship via an FFL back to Glock.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  11. ken grant

ken grant

Glock replaced the frame on my Gen. 2.5 23 with a Gen. 3 frame and it was delivered to my home by Fed-X.
    No FFL involved. Glock did the paperwork themselves.

12. scattershot

scattershot

You can send a firearm back,to the manufacturer directly if you use UPS or FEDEX. You cannot use the mail to do so unless you have a FFL. At least, that's the way I understand it.

13. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Glide, California laws are almost as bad as Hawaii and getting worse by the minute. Ruger, S&W, Springfield, Sig and Para have all chosen not to renew on the DOJ approved gun list.

OP, you can ship directly to Glock, but it has to overnight UPS, which can be expensive. You need to negotiate that with Glock. More involved though is if the replacement gun is not on the approved list. I believe that only applies to a new purchase, and would not apply in this case, as though it was a private party sale to yourself. Most likely Glock will not know, and unless your receiving FFL has had experience with that, probably won't know either. You can talk to the DOJ or email them. They will answer the phone as I recently had a serial number mix up with a carry gun. The FFL had mixed up the letters and a phone call cleared it up from the original DROS paper.

(916) 227-7527

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/contact

14. L-2

L-2

The list of manufacturers, above, is partially true. Para Ordnance is the only one without any products on California's "Roster". The other manufacturers do have products on the Roster, but due to California's overly-strict rules, some guns drop off the Roster, and newer gun models cannot be added. It's a very frustrating firearms industry and people's fight. If you can help it, never let it happen where you live.

15. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

16. ken grant

ken grant

Nope! you can mail a long gun through the Post Office to a manufacturer or a FFL.
    In fact I just did it.
    Also I was told by the guy at the Post Office a LEO can mail a handgun to a manufacturer or a FFL.

17. flyover

flyover

I don't think a non FFL can send a handgun through the Post Office. FFLs can send a handgun but it takes a ps1508 and a copy of their licence. I was going to put a copy of the form up but it won't come across. It states in large black letters: This form can only be used by manufactures or dealers of firearms.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  18. schriner13

schriner13

I just had warrenty work done on a ruger. They sent ups to my house and picked it up gun was gone for 7 days, they replaced the frame and trigger pivot spring and sent it back to my house

19. Makoman

Makoman

Democratik People's Republik of Kommiefornia
    The guy at Glock is misinformed, you don't need to ship via FFL. You only need to ship via FedEx or UPS. Just make sure to declare its a firearm so that it is processed correctly.