close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why Men Don't Want to Marry Nowadays

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Kurly, Feb 17, 2013.

1. W

W Book 'em, Spock

Plenty of cultures still believe in marriage. The fastest growing demographic in this country get married young, make lots of babies and divorce is pretty much unheard of.

2. IQof1

IQof1

3. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Or a church. HH

4. devildog2067

devildog2067

Same is true of child support imposed on the mother... and this is coming from a guy that pays $25k a year in child support to a woman who hasn't had a job in 10 years.

5. devildog2067

devildog2067

I had a fairly ugly divorce with a woman who is still costing me a lot of money--and I'm not talking about child support. It's been 7 years and I still have to spend at least a few thousand a year on my lawyer.

I'm happily married now to a wonderful woman, and the "sense" is that being married to the right person is amazing.

6. devildog2067

devildog2067

You're not interested in hearing men's opinions on why marriage done well is a great thing?

Those programs were doomed even without the problem of our greying population, and we faced the Malthusian problem eventually anyway if we were going to depend on population growth to keep them solvent.

7. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

I am sorry for your loss.

8. devildog2067

devildog2067

The "feminist movement" isn't about "women trying to be men."

This is almost as nutty as your rants about how slavery wasn't so bad.

About 20% of the partners at my firm are women--these are women who are earning 7+ figures, shaping strategy for the world's largest companies. Some of them are great. Some of them are absolute *****es. Some of them have families. Some don't.

Women and men aren't the same, and no feminists claim that they are. They're different. The idea is simply that women and men are both people.

9. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

I am married for life. Creeping up on year 14. I don't ever plan on straying. She was pretty clear that if I did, I would be nailed for alimony and child support. She definately subscribes to the theory, "It's cheaper to keep her."

But, I have no genuine complaints. She takes good care of me. Also, I treat her like a woman, rather than a pest, or an annoyance, or any other such thing.

I am big into the the traditional family. You take care of your lady, you treat her right, and provide the best you can for your family. That is what a man and a father should be.

I have never raised a hand to her, and I never will. I despise any man who would ever raise a hand to to their lady. They have a vulnerability when the give themselves fully to a husband and a family, and that needs to be respected.

All healthy marriages are going to have disagreements and arguments. A husband should know when to stand strong on a principle and when to compromise.

When you have children it changes everything. They are both a joy and a stress.

You know you have to attend to their needs, for which they are not always understanding or greatful. As a father, you are stuck often with being the disciplinarian, because the children become too familiar with their mother to often respect her as they should.

First they start off as vulnerable little babies. The first one is a shock, and something new to figure out all the time, but a joy.

Then they go through stages, potty training, learning the word "No!" and not being able to find a proper boundary for it.

Then they go off to school and start growing like weeds. It is fun when they can read on their own.

As a father you have to temper discipline with mercy and love. A lot of humor helps.

You'll make mistakes. All parents do. You remember the ones your parents made, and try to avoid them, only to make new ones.

The key building block, no matter what the Liberals, the lame stream media, and the incolcation of Liberal Institutions say, is the family unit.

Everything starts for the upcomming generation in the family unit. If you destroy that, you destroy your society.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  10. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

What is your opinion of childless married couples? HH

11. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

Marriage is hard. Very hard.

I served my wife with papers a few years ago, hit rock bottom, saw myself for who I was, and changed. We reconciled, I stopped the divorce 30 days before it was final, and we're still together.

Our marriage is not "perfect" but it is good and will last.

Marriage is hard, but it is good and I highly recommend it.

12. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Where are women trying to be men? I see a lot of women just trying to be the best they can be. I think some men mistake that for something it isnt. Is a female doctor, business women, cop, whatever (traditional man jobs) trying to be a man or just chasing the things they want to do?

As for the "moral" problems with that, I would ask, whos morals? Do you mean some form of the Judeo-Christian construct? The tradition that gives us books replete with powerful women. Women who kill, women who lead, women who are prophets.

As an aside, sure, you can find women who are out to "prove" something. You can find plenty of men who are as well.

13. JW1178

JW1178

Cheating is not right for anyone, but one statistic now is that although more men cheat than women, the gap is narrowing, and when women do cheat, they cheat more often. It seems that cheating is the "in" thing now. It's looked at as an adventure or fantasy.

Marriage has destroyed more people than helped them from what I've seen. 34 and never been married, might not ever.

14. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Guys have always figured. "why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"
    I agree why spend tens of thousands on ring/dress/wedding....? Often it seems the more $$$$ spent the shorter the marriage lasting.
    IF you don't think the gal is worth you making a commitment to her.... Thats on you.

IMO (esp if you have kids together) get/carry paperwork for you to have POA (medical) incase kid gets hurt when with you.

15. MNOD Glocker

MNOD Glocker always around

I look at my grandparents, who were married for 60 odd years until my grandfathers death, I look at my parents, who just celebrated their 25th anniversary, and I say "good for them!!"

Now me, I haven't found the right woman yet, and even when I do, I do not know if I want to get married. I enjoy my freedom (not saying I would loose that), my choice to get up and go whenever I want, not having any real commitment (irrisponsible? no), and, I like spending my money my way. I'm not here bashing marriage or women, but I have the mentality some others do here, "Why do I *have* to get married when I am perfectly content as is?"

Food for thought "marriage is the leading cause of divorce"

16. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

If I have to explain this, I will. Look at the divorce rates since the feminist 'MOVEMENT" got rolling. The millions of fatherless kids and kids who don't have a mom in the family per se. No reflection on women's abilities but the home and traditional marriage has been destroyed over the past 40 years. Where before that time was there a 50%+ divorce rate? Where in the recorded history of the world has there been such a role reversal of the sexes?? When before the 60's did you hear the term "latch key kids".
    Women worked outside the home for decades, but their families and husbands came first. The femminist monstrosity changed that as it was meant to. I won't waste bandwith and my time debating the women's movement. Bottom line, it has been instrumental in destroying the American family, and has done that since it's inception. It touches and damages virtually every marriage I know of including my own. It helped cost me one of my marriages. The influx of its doctrines have reached into every facet of society and has done imeasurable harm. That is irrefutable.

Done with this thread.

Gray_Rider

17. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

I only had to get kicked in the head once to learn I never wanted to have anything to do with marriage again.

18. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

Thanks KAhk. Changes your perspectives about a lot of things. She was diagnosed with CA before we were married. Lost her mother to it in the late 60's and her grandmother also a cancer vic. died by her own hand before that in the 30s because of all the impending and then ongoing agony and excruciating pain they then could do little about.

"Here's your bottle of laudnum Mrs. _______ . Go home. Take to your bed, and prepare your family for the end."

Between fits of screaming.

Poe's poem Annabel Lee sums up the way I feel about her till this day, and it is carved in part on her stone.

As I say, it changes your perspective on how you look at things. And, though I name the NAME, and I stand with General Lee's statement about that matter. My perspective is still forever changed.

Gray_Rider

19. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

This:

I couldn't add a single word other than BRAVO! The last paragraph is the clincher and is exactly what is happening.

Bravo! And a long Rebel Yell to you and your lady.

Gray_Rider

20. Gray_Rider

Gray_Rider

See Gray's 1st incontestable above. If not for one thing in particular, I would have never married again either, but my hands were/are tied. No, it did not involve a child though I am a father. I didn't make the rules I am forced to comply with, and that's all I will say about that here.

As the song says.

"I'm just a man whose, circumstances, went beyond his control!"

Gray_Rider