close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Why Kydex???

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Calhoun123, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Calhoun123

Calhoun123

What is the appeal of Kydex holsters over leather? When I look at the higher quality Kydex makers, the price is equal to that of leather. I see far more threads on different forums about Kydex breakage - even from the most respected makers, than I do about leather breakage. In fact, I don't ever recall seeing a thread about leather breakage in major brands.

2. fifty2you

fifty2you Bad guy

3. Mamaluke

Mamaluke

MUCH faster draws...

I have never seen one break. I have tens of thousands of draws through mine.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  4. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

For IWB kydex generally being thinner is a plus. Also, leather is generally far more expensive than even the most expensive kydex. I'm sure there are a few exceptions to that but not generally.

5. farley45

farley45

Maybe if you are using some Galco models or something. Nice leather is expensive, and I haven't seen any kydex holsters that cost as much as nice leather holsters. If you are comparing higher quality to higher quality anyways.

ETA: Another thing I just thought about was different modes of retention.

6. Taz

Taz

A quality Kydex rig is cheaper than a quality leather rig. For IWB carry, they are thinner than leather and dont absorb sweat. Relatively no break in, positive click when the gun is secure and they are much faster than leather. I like both leather and kydex, but all my holsters of late have been kydex.

7. RetDet

RetDet Millennium Member

To steal a line from a friend of mine, leather is from dead animals. It stretches and deteriorates. If your holster depends on friction for security, you will soon lose that security. Kydex is molded to a particular firearm and will hold it securely based on that molding.

I use kydex from Bladetech, and other kydex pieces that date all the way back to Kevin McClung and Mad Dog Labs. I've had one holster tear, and it was replaced with no questions asked.

In summary, kydex lasts longer, fits more securely for a longer period of time, draws faster, and is much thinner and lighter than leather. It can be cheaper too.

8. Adjuster

Adjuster

What is kydex? Is it a nice way of saying plastic? Is my Fobus paddle kydex?

9. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

Kydex is a type of plastic. Fobus is kydex.

10. GuNDeZZZ

GuNDeZZZ

11. RetDet

RetDet Millennium Member

Fobus is not kydex. Not even close. But it is cheap.

12. PirateLookingAtForty

PirateLookingAtForty

Fobus is injection-molded plastic. Kydex is tougher.

13. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

Isn't it injection molded kydex? I know Fobus are way crappier than most kydex holsters but I thought they were still kydex. Of course I don't really know jack about plastics so I take your word for it.

14. dosei

dosei

No, it is not.

15. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

One benefit is you can use a Kydex holster right away no breaking in like with leather holsters.

16. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

My Sidearmor kydex holster is about 8 years old. The belt loops have cracked and been replaced a couple times. But that is a high stress area, and the rest of the holster is fine. I wear it every day. Note that cracking isn't the same has breaking, the parts can crack, be noticed, and then replaced before they break.

It doesn't hold moisture. It stays open, making reholstering easy. It keeps a constant tension on the gun, thus preventing snagging when drawing. It is a thin material, thus reducing printing. It is light weight. It doesn't stain clothing when matched with perspiration.

17. 2740dmx

2740dmx

I used to think i would never own a "plastic" gun.

then i tried a glock, and have never looked back for a carry weapon.

I used to think i would never own a "plastic holster", but after owning a plastic gun....

i use an IWB holster from Fist, Inc. it is made of ultra-thin kydex, and is literally paper thin. it is sweat proof. it retains the weapon securely. It has offset belt loops, to even further reduce printing profile.

Petroleum products rule! what did they say in "The Graduate"? the future is plastics? (probably a huge misquote..:embarassed: )

18. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

Faster, stronger, (Usually) smaller/less material, adjustable cant, multiple guns can be used in the same holster, cheaper (Cost), faster turn around time, available most everywhere.

I have been using my Milt Sparks VMII and DMP pouch now for about a year.

Comparing my leather and kydex, side by side, the kydex blows the leather out of the water. Simple reason being, it's fast! There's no break in required and I don't need to worry about conditioning it so it doesn't dry out.

I have been trying to break in my DMP for the last year. I've done everything but an alcohol bath. I still cannot draw my magazines without a struggle.

I've been flip flopping between leather and kydex for my 1911 for a while now. I just ordered 2 holsters from Sidearmor. I'm waiting for those to be delivered. It will be kydex from now on.

19. 1234Havasu

1234Havasu

Buy a CrossBreed Supertuck and you can have the best of both worlds. Kydex on leather.

20. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

See, my thing is this:

I'm carrying IWB. A VMII holster is a huge chunk of leather. It's bulky and at times, uncomfortable because of its size.

A kydex holster has some great benefits, one of those being it is smaller and thinner.

I had a Crossbreed holster...That is a huge chunk of plastic AND leather.

For me, it doesn't work because of its size.

YMMV